Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean PGA Golfer Refuses to do Military Service
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Korean PGA Golfer Refuses to do Military Service Reply with quote

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2015/01/08/0200000000AEN20150108007800315.html

He is going to fight it in court. Rolling Eyes
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty misleading title to this thread. sounds more to me like he wants to postpone it to play in a tourney since he's a pro golfer and all but they're being asses and won't extend his visa. nothing was stated about him refusing.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being told to show up for military service and not showing up is a refusal. There is nothing in the article saying he wants to delay it. He probably got a bunch of extensions already.

The military just loves rich kids who don't want to do their duty. I see an interesting future for him.
teachyou1004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now he's on top of his game. His time to win a major will pretty much be starting now, so he doesn't want to waste 2-years. He's jumped around tours for a while and is finally breaking through too.
rainman3277

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
pretty misleading title to this thread. sounds more to me like he wants to postpone it to play in a tourney since he's a pro golfer and all but they're being asses and won't extend his visa. nothing was stated about him refusing.

Avoid military service is exactly what he is trying to do. He's 28 now and he wants a 5-6 yr extension. You think when he's 33 he's going to happily do his service? The author is correctly reading between the lines here.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
Being told to show up for military service and not showing up is a refusal. There is nothing in the article saying he wants to delay it. He probably got a bunch of extensions already.

The military just loves rich kids who don't want to do their duty. I see an interesting future for him.

He hasn't been asked to show up for service, yet. Korean males don't have to show up for service until they get that conscription letter in the mail. Some guys go early, but most wait for that letter to show up.

At the moment that golfer probably has no Korean mailing address and is travelling on a Korean passport. So the Korean government is telling them to get to Korea so he can 'face' conscription.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainman3277 wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:

Avoid military service is exactly what he is trying to do. He's 28 now and he wants a 5-6 yr extension. You think when he's 33 he's going to happily do his service? The author is correctly reading between the lines here.

Alternative service. They probably won't put some rich 30 year old golfer into the standard barracks with a bunch of 20 year old rank-and-file soldiers. Good chance he'd get a pretty cushy spot if he returns and 'faces' conscription. But I guess he doesn't realize that.
rainman3277

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
rainman3277 wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:

Alternative service. They probably won't put some rich 30 year old golfer into the standard barracks with a bunch of 20 year old rank-and-file soldiers. Good chance he'd get a pretty cushy spot if he returns and 'faces' conscription. But I guess he doesn't realize that.

I figure he'd get that kind of assignment even if he came back now. I think he's angling for that Olympic athlete military exemption deal like they give all the football players.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainman3277 wrote:
jvalmer wrote:
rainman3277 wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:

I figure he'd get that kind of assignment even if he came back now. I think he's angling for that Olympic athlete military exemption deal like they give all the football players.

He should just come back and discuss this behind closed doors, instead of making some big show out of it. The public will roast him if he outright refuses. Koreans have very little sympathy for perceived draft dodgers, and the military knows this.
rkc76sf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should go back and work for some General, giving free golf lessons like the singers used to do with their "morale" tours.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His public show about this has pretty much ruled out any cushy job making coffee for the general. The public despises rich people who try to dodge the draft.

I say make an example of him and send him to the DMZ so he can learn to appreciate what military service is all about.
radcon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for him. He should just never come back to Korea and be forced to participate in the slavery that is military conscription.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More importantly....who phucking cares?
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Good for him. He should just never come back to Korea and be forced to participate in the slavery that is military conscription.

I agree.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainman3277 wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:

avoiding and refusing are two very different things. note i didn't say avoiding.

and as another poster said, he's at the top of his game now and 2-3 years at this point of an athlete's career is extreme detrimental, even career-changing.

you people who have a cork up your butts for this guy even though you don't have to worry or care about conscripted military service in your own lives need to get real.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: