Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discussions about legal issues regarding visas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
blackjack



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Location: anyang

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yu_Bum_suk wrote:
Sadly ATEK, Mr Lee (this one - not that idiot Lee Yong-chan) is very right. How I wish that ATEK had thrown their weight behind trying to change the visa cancellation and renewal process instead of something as pointless as this. It makes us look like a bunch of disappointed pot-heads instead of professionals who want to clean up a badly corrupted employment market.


Yes finally, they should have worked at getting rid of resubmitting degree and CR. Start small and work your way up. and don't risk alienating half the waegook population while you are doing it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marlow



Joined: 06 Feb 2005

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young FRANKenstein wrote:
marlow wrote:
I guess the MOE is at fault here.

No guess about it.


Yeah.

I think for someone whose sponsorship is not dependent on teaching immigration has no business doing checks or requiring extra visas. For those who are F2, F4, D anything, C, A, whatever, missionaries, diplomats, army wives, there should be a MOE requirement to work with children. This of course would apply to every Korean as well, from kindergarten helpers to those with tutoring licenses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Milwaukiedave



Joined: 02 Oct 2004
Location: Bucheon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yu_Bum_suk wrote:
Sadly ATEK, Mr Lee (this one - not that idiot Lee Yong-chan) is very right. How I wish that ATEK had thrown their weight behind trying to change the visa cancellation and renewal process instead of something as pointless as this. It makes us look like a bunch of disappointed pot-heads instead of professionals who want to clean up a badly corrupted employment market.


A very compelling point YBS, there were many other issues which could have been addressed which foreign teachers would have gladly backed ATEK. This has been pointed out by other people who have asked why they didn't choose another issue and the answer was that the "Fair Checks for All" campaign was the most pressing issue at the time.

I can see the writing on the wall though, when this thing falls apart, they are going to blame everyone but themselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bibbitybop



Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People can slap ATEK all they want, the fact of the matter is ATEK is doing something. No one else is besides bitching on websites.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SHANE02



Joined: 04 Jun 2003

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have they done?

I read this article yesterday and actually fully agree with the Immigration guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wylies99



Joined: 13 May 2006
Location: I'm one cool cat!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean Immigration can't find any of the illegal teachers in Korea. Not one that has been living in South Korea, as a tourist, with no visible means of income for months or years. Not one. Rolling Eyes

Think about THAT before saying that Korean Immigration is doing a "good job."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SHANE02



Joined: 04 Jun 2003

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with his points. I don't think his dept. are doing a good job
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bibbitybop wrote:
People can slap ATEK all they want, the fact of the matter is ATEK is doing something. No one else is besides bitching on websites.



ATEk hasn't done much else. And "doing something" for the sake of doing something is just dumb logic. Before doing ANYTHING they should have secured the support of the FT community and made sure to minimize any blowback.

Doing something doesn't matter in the slightest. What matters (as people have been pointing out over and over again) are RESULTS.

And this puts the end to ATEK's efforts quite effectively. Game. Set. Match.

ATEK? When is match 2 taking place? We can always use another topic of amusement...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylies99 wrote:
Korean Immigration can't find any of the illegal teachers in Korea. Not one that has been living in South Korea, as a tourist, with no visible means of income for months or years. Not one. Rolling Eyes

Think about THAT before saying that Korean Immigration is doing a "good job."



Nonsense. Everytime they have a "crackdown" they net a good many. Last time they nabbed more than 50. Trouble is that many are on tourist visas and if they start kicking out people on tourist visas, other countries could do the same to their citizens on tourist visas. Plus as they have pointed out they simply don't have the manpower to police thousands of foreigners effectively.

But to say they can't find one is utter B.S. There have been a number of threads on the crackdowns and numbers of teachers detained.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buymybook



Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Location: Telluride

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Crimes by foreigners reported to the Prosecutors' Office surged by 265 percent over the past five years since 2003. Drug-related offences by foreigners reached 976, compared with 9,888 for Korean nationals. The crime rate based on the total foreigners here outstrips that of Korean nationals based on the total population by four fold. Under the circumstances, it is inevitable for the Korean government to take firm measures against such a disturbing trend."

This obviously concerns Mr. Lee so I'd guess a very big envelope(s) of Won will be give to the Human Right Commission. This guy is not credible at all. I guess when Anma's(Prostitution houses) are allowed to operate freely and openly even after the so-called "crackdowns," while being only a few buildings down from courthouses(There is a big one at Guii-dong/Eastern District Courthouse, I'd suppose that isn't the only one in S.Korea so close and convenient for Judges/Lawyers/Cops/Ministry of Justice Officials like Lee Bok-nam himself?) then yeah, not many crimes by Koreans are reported.

The guy is so full of it, 265% my rearend. Crimes reported doesn't mean anything, they could so easily claim that without showing the reports but not so easy would be convictions.

WHERE ARE THE CONVICTIONS MR. LEE, BOK-NAM?

Drug related offences? Mr. Lee Bok-nam, why do you drug test E-2 visa holders for drugs that we've NEVER been proven to use in S. Korea? I'd like Mr. Lee, Bok-nam to explain why his/Immigration rules are so stupid?


Last edited by buymybook on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ruraljuror



Joined: 08 Dec 2007

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People can slap ATEK all they want, the fact of the matter is ATEK is doing something. No one else is besides bitching on websites.
Code:



Well The Chicken Lover definitely did something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Milwaukiedave



Joined: 02 Oct 2004
Location: Bucheon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruraljuror wrote:
Quote:
People can slap ATEK all they want, the fact of the matter is ATEK is doing something. No one else is besides bitching on websites.
Code:



Well The Chicken Lover definitely did something.


Well said
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wylies99



Joined: 13 May 2006
Location: I'm one cool cat!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face it- not everyone on this board is a teacher. Many others are comfortable with the way things have been and they profit from it and don't want it to change. That's why there's so much "hostility" towards ATEK, or any other effort to improve things for foreign teachers in Korea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Milwaukiedave



Joined: 02 Oct 2004
Location: Bucheon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Bibbitybop wrote:
People can slap ATEK all they want, the fact of the matter is ATEK is doing something. No one else is besides bitching on websites.



ATEk hasn't done much else. And "doing something" for the sake of doing something is just dumb logic. Before doing ANYTHING they should have secured the support of the FT community and made sure to minimize any blowback.

Doing something doesn't matter in the slightest. What matters (as people have been pointing out over and over again) are RESULTS.

And this puts the end to ATEK's efforts quite effectively. Game. Set. Match.

ATEK? When is match 2 taking place? We can always use another topic of amusement...


Well and adding to your point TUM, I think a few other questions have to be asked:

1) Have they succeeded with their campaign? That is going to be a crucial question. We don't know yet, but maybe in six more weeks we might.

2) Did ATEK break the law? Again, we don't know, but as we have heard that is under investigation. It may be a few more weeks before we hear anything on that as well.


Last edited by Milwaukiedave on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheChickenLover



Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Location: The Chicken Coop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bibbitybop wrote:
People can slap ATEK all they want, the fact of the matter is ATEK is doing something. No one else is besides bitching on websites.


Speak for yourself. I would like to point out that the OP's article NEVER mentioned ATEK. The person who responded works for the Ministry of Justice, which is the boss of the Immigration services. Immigration didn't reply to this, a person with authority with the MOJ did.

He stuck to the position in regards to a opinion column regarding Wagner's report. He did NOT mention ATEK or its campaign (that is very important to note). He expressed the position of the MOJ that not only did Wagner get it wrong, he's totally missed the inherent point of immigration laws.

The fact that there are those here still screaming that it's not fair is beyond belief. There could be a real chance that this may be the person who may be dealing with my complaint (or maybe not). Regardless, it is clear that Wagner's report is going to be dismissed by the MOJ because they feel that he missed many relevant points of law as well as his overly biased logic towards a particular position.

Translation: Nothing is going to change because of Wagner's report. If my complaint is held to its position. Then Wagner's and ATEK's days may very well be indeed numbered in the ROK.

Time will tell, but so far it's looking very good for the F-class visa holders.

Chicken



Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 2 of 36

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International