Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This forum is dying!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: This forum is dying! Reply with quote

I've been lurking here off and on for a few years. In the mid 2000's, if you blinked, you missed 50 posts. However now the forum is practically dead. It's also amazingly out of date, as if it's just being left around for legacy purposes and Dave doesn't actually care about it.

So what happened ? Facebook/Twitter/and so on, or something else?
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum is dying! Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
... Dave doesn't actually care about it..

I'm pretty sure it's been a decade and a half since he cared about it. At least beyond how much it effects his finances.

And yes, Facebook, and other, more current forums have killed it. The only reason it's still around is that the forum DB is so incredibly, ridiculously huge, this place pops up more often than not when you search for information about Korea. Too bad most of it is horribly out of date. I guess some people still list jobs here too.

The URL is still worth a hefty amount according to various worth calculators. $237'047 at Siteprice.org!
Fallacy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: This forum is dying! Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
However now the forum is practically dead. It's also amazingly out of date, as if it's just being left around for legacy purposes and Dave doesn't actually care about it.
Not dead, just seems that way. More like a saloon full of old gunslingers who do not have much to say unless someone new wanders in through the swinging doors. As for Dave caring, by his own admission, he does not read the forums. See the link he put on the homepage which leads to the interview if you want to read for yourself.
Underwaterbob wrote:
The URL is still worth a hefty amount according to various worth calculators. $237'047 at Siteprice.org!
Not if the site is pronounced dead.
Badmojo

Location: I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: This forum is dying! Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
I've been lurking here off and on for a few years. In the mid 2000's, if you blinked, you missed 50 posts. However now the forum is practically dead. It's also amazingly out of date, as if it's just being left around for legacy purposes and Dave doesn't actually care about it.

So what happened ? Facebook/Twitter/and so on, or something else?

I'm in total agreement with this. Ten years ago in 2005 there was a new post every half hour. The glory days are gone.

What do you mean about it being out of date? How can a forum or website be out of date when some people still use it and there are new job ads posted?
northway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum is dying! Reply with quote

Badmojo wrote:
What do you mean about it being out of date? How can a forum or website be out of date when some people still use it and there are new job ads posted?

The site runs on software from ~2002. You ought to be able to CTL+B for bold, for example, rather than doing this bracketed nonsense.
tob55

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum is dying! Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Badmojo wrote:

The site runs on software from ~2002. You ought to be able to CTL+B for bold, for example, rather than doing this bracketed nonsense.

The powers that be are simply following the rule: "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it."

That could be the answer, but my guess is the less a person has to do to keep things running smoothly while raking in a ton of money every month for advertising keeps them happy. Or else, the first thing I typed.
PeteJB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just Dave's, forums in general everywhere are dying out because people are getting stupidErrrr. They are gradually being replaced by the younger generation that uses Twitter, Facebook groups and others...
northway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteJB wrote:
It's not just Dave's, forums in general everywhere are dying out because people are getting stupidErrrr. They are gradually being replaced by the younger generation that uses Twitter, Facebook groups and others...

There are a good number of (educated) Korea questions and answers on Quora, for what it's worth. It's not all about folks getting stupider.
Smithington

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears Steelrails is the only paid employee of this site who is still making an effort. Keep the advertizing money coming n by having Korea's honor defended at all times.

That's my only explanation for his posting style.

He's (perhaps) on the payroll.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteJB wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed that across the board as well.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum is dying! Reply with quote

tob55 wrote:
The powers that be are simply following the rule: "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it."

Nice avatar you've got there.
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try harder. Give it the coup de grace. Very Happy
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, for want of a better word, moribund.
yodanole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And his Arch-Nemesis Smithington ... Shocked

Smithington wrote:
It appears Steelrails is the only paid employee of this site who is still making an effort. Keep the advertizing money coming n by having Korea's honor defended at all times.

That's my only explanation for his posting style.

He's (perhaps) on the payroll.
waynehead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
It is, for want of a better word, moribund.

I don't think you need another word. That's the perfect one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: