Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Customs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TobyWhite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Customs Reply with quote

Hey all,
I've has a few things shipped to me here from Amazon, etc. and I get charged out the wazoo with customs fees. Does anyone elese have this problem? Is it because I'm shipping to my Hogwon? Is there any way to avoid it? Thanks!
thinker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i almost got screwed with 60,000 duty on these cameras from ebay, cause it went through UPS(really dislike their service), but if you've been in korea for 6 months-1 year you can avoid the duty by sending along your passport, alien, and contract info to customs~it was a hassle but that's what i did. if it's over $40US(50?) then you'll get duty, so if you get stuff sent from people you know get em' to right less than $40US as the value~
shaun k

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i called customs directly a few months ago, and they said that anything under 100,000won was duty free. they also said that this was not strictly enforced. i have had many things shipped to me from around the world, and have never paid a duty. if you buy things from ebay, ask the seller first if he/she will put a value of under 100, and mark the package as a gift. my packages from amazon have never been tagged.
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: I went Reply with quote

My parents sent me a box of stuff from the post office, which included a nice used camera. It was insured for $300. I don't know, maybe I got lucky and the customs people didn't care. They never opened it. No customs fee. Came from the USA to Korea and sent slow boat. Took nearly 3 months!!! Anyway, my coworker from Canada has stuff sent by plane from Canada, and most all of those get opened and checked.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Customs Reply with quote

TobyWhite wrote:
Hey all,
I've has a few things shipped to me here from Amazon, etc. and I get charged out the wazoo with customs fees. Does anyone elese have this problem? Is it because I'm shipping to my Hogwon? Is there any way to avoid it? Thanks!

Were those things from Amazon books? Don't forget that 'for educational purposes' items are supposed to be duty-free. I imagine it would be electronics that customs really wants to zing people on; I never had a problem with books from Amazon.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a $200+ order from amazon shipped here last year with no problems, never heard of the 100,000 won thing

my big problem is new clothes. I've had stuff from Lands End etc sent and every time its been hit with duties no matter how much. What I do is have things shipped to the folks have them unwrap everything and resend it marking it used
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: