Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MEXICAN TACO STAND (In seoul) Everything under $3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the taco place at 9:59 Saturday night. They would not serve me as they close at 10. I guess they did not want my money.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
Don't go to the new restaurant too early. They might not be ready yet. I ate there today arriving at 11:45 am. They only had chicken tacos and fajitas available. No beef. No quesadillas. No burritos. These meals are 3000-4000 won each. The food was ok but not outstanding. The taco wasn't what I would call Mexican style. It was more like a Greek chicken pita with taco sauce but tasted alright.
Not he most flexible hours surely. Were his hours better when he was just a taco stand?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxxx_power wrote:
Mexico is God's gift to man. I plan on laying on a nice Mazatlan beach for about 3 months before I decide to come home.

Maybe I'll swing down for a bit, if I get that NM job. Then I can buy fake Oakleys, too...

And now I understand your love of Taco Bell. I forgot all about the 3 am potheads rushing to get food from about the only place that would ever be open at such an obscure hour in the morning.
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
maxxx_power wrote:
Mexico is God's gift to man. I plan on laying on a nice Mazatlan beach for about 3 months before I decide to come home.

Maybe I'll swing down for a bit, if I get that NM job. Then I can buy fake Oakleys, too...

And now I understand your love of Taco Bell. I forgot all about the 3 am potheads rushing to get food from about the only place that would ever be open at such an obscure hour in the morning.

Finally someone recognizes my genius. It's too bad you're leaving now, but good luck.

My name is in the phonebook in Portland, just look me up.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many people here are from Oregon...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first came to Korea from Portland Oregon in 1996 through Korea Services Group. They were a big recruiter in Busan at that time. 3-4 teachers in my workplace in Pusan had a connection with Portland Oregon. I went to the U.S. Embassy in Pusan and saw a couple huge Portland Oregon tourist posters on the wall.

I seldom meet Oregonians in Seoul, but there are a few around. Two of my good friends I've known in Seoul for years are from there as well.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came here from Portland in 1996 too....interesting
VC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some links to maps of itaewon that will help the location.

http://www.enjoyitaewon.com/map/itaewonmap.html
http://my.netian.com/~sabrinajeon/ENGLISH/ENGDET~1.HTM
lao_ocean_girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Oregon Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
I first came to Korea from Portland Oregon in 1996 through Korea Services Group. They were a big recruiter in Busan at that time. 3-4 teachers in my workplace in Pusan had a connection with Portland Oregon. I went to the U.S. Embassy in Pusan and saw a couple huge Portland Oregon tourist posters on the wall.

I seldom meet Oregonians in Seoul, but there are a few around. Two of my good friends I've known in Seoul for years are from there as well.

It's interesting that there are more Oregonians here than I would have thought. ...I'm from Hillsboro, and spent my formative granola eating years in Eugene. I also met another Portlander this past Saturday at Hodge Podge in Hongdae. I don't think it was Tiger Beer or Kangnamdragon, though.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Reply with quote

lao_ocean_girl wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:

It's interesting that there are more Oregonians here than I would have thought. ...I'm from Hillsboro, and spent my formative granola eating years in Eugene. I also met another Portlander this past Saturday at Hodge Podge in Hongdae. I don't think it was Tiger Beer or Kangnamdragon, though.

Yeah, I hardly ever tell anyone I'm from Portland Oregon anymore.. when I lived in Busan I did because I felt so much more familiarity with it then than now.

But being that you are a Lao-Oregonian girl.. maybe I definetely would have told you I lived there solely for conversation purposes to get to talk to you.. Smile

The last couple times I lived in the U.S., it was NY and CA.. and basically more or less grew up in MI.. so my Oregon days are getting further and further away from my now..
kelly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Mexicans Reply with quote

yeah I was there a few weeks ago, and it sure beats the hell outta any of the other mexican restaurants I've been to in Seoul. The prices are well cheap, I mean 6,500 for a tortilla and a quesadilla, not bad at all!!
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Korean friend just invited me on base to go to Taco Bell tonight. A little ironic that an American needs a Korean to take him on base... Laughing
shawner88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I had this idea before when I was back in the states. I convinced my girl waiting for me in Seoul (she lived in Hongdae near all the clubs) that it was a good idea. Iwas gonna stock pile shells and seasoning to bring back. I would stay at her place and cook and she would sell outside so I wouldn't get caught. Never panned out though as I broke my arm and didn'tcome back for 5 months and that was it for the idea and her.

I knew I'd see someone making bucks off it sooner or later. DAMN!

By the way, is the Mexican restaurant still theredown by PNU in Pusan? I used to eat there several times a month.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ate at Taco Chilli Chilli Itaewon 2 Dong last week. It was okay, but there were too many hard bits of fat in the beef that I ended up removing back to the plate. The owner needs to pulverize the bulgogi more or cut out the fat during prep. I felt bad for the guy. I was there during peak lunch hour on a Thursday for about 25 minutes and there were no other customers. At least he's trying and I think it's worth a visit for the change of pace. He would probably do well if he stayed open 24 hours on weekends. Does he?
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A taco stand in any area with a decent concentration of foreigners should do fine, unless the product is ass. Tacos, bean burritos, frito pies, chimichangas, quesadillas, churros...all easy to cook up. It's all about the sauces. Red and green picante, plus pico de gallo.

Ex: Hongdae, Itaewon, Hyewha, Gangnam St., Shinchon, or near places with a substantial concentration of English hogwons.

Not sure if Koreans would go for it. Maybe on a bet. Koreans can be quite stiff-necked about trying new things, pariticularly food (and they simply despise cilantro, a key ingredient in good Mexican fare). Maybe the idea would sell to Koreans if you dressed up like a mariachi (think: HUGE-ASS sombrero).

It'd be more fun than teaching (for a day or two, anyway Laughing

And seeing as how there seem to be ABSOLUTELY NO NOISE REGULATIONS in Seoul, you could blare flamenco or mariachi music 24/7. How fun would that be!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: