Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Army Intelligence School
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatever

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Korean Army Intelligence School Reply with quote

Has anybody ever worked for the Korean Army Intelligence School's Languages Dept.?

What was your experience like with them? Pro's and Con's?

Thanks~
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The author of the ajoshi stories does. Yaya-boy I think.
cruisemonkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xuanzang wrote:
The author of the ajoshi stories does. Yaya-boy I think.

Close... but no banana. His 'handle' is Ya-ta Boy.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a legitimate question or is the OP the new school spy who has daily meetings with the boss to report on what teachers say about the new hiring policy?

Paranoia reigns.
Looney

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Is this a legitimate question or is the OP the new school spy who has daily meetings with the boss to report on what teachers say about the new hiring policy?

Paranoia reigns.

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=36311
whatever

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not a spy. Just a dude. Please pm me if you've got a chance...thanks
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They advertise regularly, which should clue you in. I've seen a couple of ads: long hours, crap pay, crap housing. Why bother. And I don't even think the location works in your favour. Take a pass unless you hear otherwise.
T-J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
They advertise regularly, which should clue you in. I've seen a couple of ads: long hours, crap pay, crap housing. Why bother. And I don't even think the location works in your favour. Take a pass unless you hear otherwise.

I would think that there must be some redeeming aspects to the job, if a veteran like Ya-Ta is there.

As an aside, I've wondered about Ya-Ta's handle. Is that a reference to the 야타적 that was all the rage in 압구정 back in the '90s?
Cerriowen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-J wrote:

I would think that there must be some redeeming aspects to the job

They don't mind people coming to work hung over, or even still drunk from the night before. Two such people I know went to work several times so drunk they couldn't remember their first couple of classes. The students drink heavily (though in theory they aren't allowed), as do the boss'. It's the perfect job for alcoholics who can't keep jobs back in the states.
T-J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerriowen wrote:
T-J wrote:

I would think that there must be some redeeming aspects to the job

They don't mind people coming to work hung over, or even still drunk from the night before. Two such people I know went to work several times so drunk they couldn't remember their first couple of classes. The students drink heavily (though in theory they aren't allowed), as do the boss'. It's the perfect job for alcoholics who can't keep jobs back in the states.

Well, there you go. I knew there must be something, and there it is. Cool
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:

OK, I feel less paranoid than I did this morning. Here goes:

Yes, the school advertises pretty regularly. It's because within 2 months of so of me coming to the school I went from being #10 in seniority to being #3. The school chased out a bunch of good teachers for god knows what reason--one of the known reasons was because they wanted only part-time teachers, not full-time teachers so they could save on pension. That part has changed finally. (Imagine. A government branch finally agreeing to follow their government's law. Innovation at its finest.)

The hours are not long. Just spread out. We work 4 or 6 hours a day, but the hours are almost always spread out over 8 hours. There is no known reason for this except that they can jerk us around, so they do.

The pay is average. Not crap. We got a raise last October.

The apartments are fine and are within a 10 minute walk of school. The area is very quiet and rather pretty if you look out the back window, not the front.

The location is crap. There are only two buses, the Jamshil bus comes once an hour except at lunch/supper time; the Yatap bus comes every 10 minutes or so. Not bad. Very few taxis come on our street. The upside is that it is quiet here. It does beat construction outside your window.

Quote:
I would think that there must be some redeeming aspects to the job, if a veteran like Ya-Ta is there.

As an aside, I've wondered about Ya-Ta's handle. Is that a reference to the 야타적 that was all the rage in 압구정 back in the '90s?

The #1 and maybe only redeeming aspect is the students. They are mid-to late 20's/early 30's and highly, highly motivated. They are a teacher's dream to work with. Polite, dedicated, intelligent, full of humor and curiosity. Ten students per class. Of the 80 students I've worked with at this school, 2 have been jerks...and one of those was reduced to tears when she stepped over the line and apologized profusely. The other was formally ordered to apologize for being in the wrong. Discipline and class control are not issues here. You just have to teach. Very refreshing.

My handle? Hmmm...it's a disguised form of 'Ya! Ta!' Ya! Ta! Boys were a phenom of the 70's/80's before cars were all that common. Spoiled young dudes got daddy's car and cruised around. When they saw a hot prospect, they pulled up, rolled down the window and shouted, "Ya! Ta!" and collected the rewards of their courage. They are the 'cousins' of the Orange Tribe. I adopted the name when I graduated from bike to scooter. Very Happy (Irony deliberate.)

Quote:

There is an extra class here with students who are not a part of the regular program. Yes, some of them drink and drink heavily. One of them caused me my worst class in my life. But drinking is a rare thing. Sometimes, when there isn't a spare teacher, the regular teachers have to teach that group. When there are enough teachers, the one the school wants to get rid of is assigned that group because the school doesn't care about them.

This school has a huge potential. At this time it is not anywhere near what it could be. The school, to its credit, wants to improve the quality of teachers here. Commendable. However, they have adopted a wretched way of getting to their goal. They could just release a sub-par teacher at the end of the contract (or figure out a better way of hiring in the first place), but they are not doing that. They have created a tense, insecure, unstable, unpleasant environment this last month.

At this time, I cannot recommend it to anyone. If it changes again, I would reconsider that advice. The students deserve better than they are getting and the teachers deserve better than they are being treated. (I'm being allowed to float above the fray, but who knows for how long? I'm wrestling with taking the job that was offered or staying around in hopes that things will settle down.)

PS: Sorry about being obscure this morning, but I was feeling very paranoid. Last night I was told that the newest teacher is having daily meetings with the boss and reporting on everything other teachers said. The OP's pic reminded me of her. One teacher has been let go because the supervisor found him sitting down while he was teaching. Exclamation Another teacher had to re-interview yesterday two months before her contract is up. The first question in the interview was, "What do you think of the new hiring policy?" She had a choice: Say it sucks and lose the job she wants to keep or lie. She lied. She had been told she would be told by the end of the day yesterday whether she'd keep her job or would have to leave. They didn't tell her last night. The boss called and said he'd tell her this morning. He didn't tell her this morning. He made her wait all day. When I left this afternoon, she still hadn't been told. I don't know if she's a good teacher. I do know that she tries hard and that her students like her. I resent that she's being treated like crap.

Last edited by Ya-ta Boy on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
John_ESL_White

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
PRagic wrote:

Yes, the school advertises pretty regularly. It's because within 2 months of so of me coming to the school I went from being #10 in seniority to being #3. The school chased out a bunch of good teachers for god knows what reason--one of the known reasons was because they wanted only part-time teachers, not full-time teachers so they could save on pension. That part has changed finally. (Imagine. A government branch finally agreeing to follow their government's law. Innovation at its finest.)

The hours are not long. Just spread out. We work 4 or 6 hours a day, but the hours are almost always spread out over 8 hours. There is no known reason for this except that they can jerk us around, so they do.

The apartments are fine and are within a 10 minute walk of school. The area is very quiet and rather pretty if you look out the back window, not the front.

The location is crap. There are only two buses, the Jamshil bus comes once an hour except at lunch/supper time; the Yatap bus comes every 10 minutes or so. Not bad. Very few taxis come on our street. The upside is that it is quiet here. It does beat construction outside your window.

Quote:

The #1 and maybe only redeeming aspect is the students. They are mid-to late 20's/early 30's and highly, highly motivated. They are a teacher's dream to work with. Polite, dedicated, intelligent, full of humor and curiosity. Ten students per class. Of the 80 students I've worked with at this school, 2 have been jerks...and one of those was reduced to tears when she stepped over the line and apologized profusely. The other was formally ordered to apologize for being in the wrong. Discipline and class control are not issues here. You just have to teach. Very refreshing.

My handle? Hmmm...it's a disguised form of 'Ya! Ta!' Ya! Ta! Boys were a phenom of the 70's/80's before cars were all that common. Spoiled young dudes got daddy's car and cruised around. When they saw a hot prospect, they pulled up, rolled down the window and shouted, "Ya! Ta!" and collected the rewards of their courage. They are the 'cousins' of the Orange Tribe. I adopted the name when I graduated from bike to scooter. Very Happy (Irony deliberate.)

Quote:

Give me a break! You were fired. Get over it.

There is an extra class here with students who are not a part of the regular program. Yes, some of them drink and drink heavily. One of them caused me my worst class in my life. But drinking is a rare thing. Sometimes, when there isn't a spare teacher, the regular teachers have to teach that group. When there are enough teachers, the one the school wants to get rid of is assigned that group because the school doesn't care about them. Calling in sick regularly almost every Monday sooner or later comes to the attention of the administration. As stupid as the admin is, they sooner or later figured out what is going on.

This school has a huge potential. At this time it is not anywhere near what it could be. The school, to its credit, wants to improve the quality of teachers here. Commendable. However, they have adopted a wretched way of getting to their goal. They could just release a sub-par teacher at the end of the contract (or figure out a better way of hiring in the first place), but they are not doing that. They have created a tense, insecure, unstable, unpleasant environment this last month.

At this time, I cannot recommend it to anyone. If it changes again, I would reconsider that advice. The students deserve better than they are getting and the teachers deserve better than they are being treated. (I'm being allowed to float above the fray, but who knows for how long? I'm wrestling with taking the job that was offered or staying around in hopes that things will settle down.)

PS: Sorry about being obscure this morning, but I was feeling very paranoid. Last night I was told that the newest teacher is having daily meetings with the boss and reporting on everything other teachers said. The OP's pic reminded me of her. One teacher has been let go because the supervisor found him sitting down while he was teaching. Exclamation Another teacher had to re-interview yesterday two months before her contract is up. The first question in the interview was, "What do you think of the new hiring policy?" She had a choice: Say it sucks and lose the job she wants to keep or lie. She lied. She had been told she would be told by the end of the day yesterday whether she'd keep her job or would have to leave. They didn't tell her last night. The boss called and said he'd tell her this morning. He didn't tell her this morning. He made her wait all day. When I left this afternoon, she still hadn't been told. I don't know if she's a good teacher. I do know that she tries hard and that her students like her. I resent that she's being treated like crap.

Sounds like most E-visa hagwon jobs in Korea.

- some teachers treated like crap
- FTs forced to teach their 4-6 hours over an 8 hour day
- FTs kept out of the loop
- FT 'reinterviewed' at ten months
- FTs fired to save from paying into pension/ NHI
- "iffy" FTs given the crap classes

sounds like most big hagwons to me. No problem for a decent teacher who doesn't mind being screwed on NHI and pension but terrible for a newb that doesn't have classroom or korean experience.

A vet could probably navigate it all and come out on top, but this place sounds like hell for the average FT in Korea.
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The hours are not long. Just spread out. We work 4 or 6 hours a day, but the hours are almost always spread out over 8 hours. There is no known reason for this except that they can jerk us around, so they do."

This is a deal breaker right here. Those ARE long hours, and the fact that they spread them out on you is just the capper. Add the other b.s. into the equation, and you have a poor, poor work environment.

Yes, a vet might be able to navigate the waters there, but, again, why bother? If you're there, then it can't be helped. Get the contract (or the term) over with and move on to a better university job. Places continue to heap this crap on teachers because teachers keep lining up to take it...and somehow even justify it. Walk away.
Cerriowen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds like most E-visa hagwon jobs in Korea.

- some teachers treated like crap
- FTs forced to teach their 4-6 hours over an 8 hour day
- FTs kept out of the loop
- FT 'reinterviewed' at ten months
- FTs fired to save from paying into pension/ NHI
- "iffy" FTs given the crap classes

sounds like most big hagwons to me. No problem for a decent teacher who doesn't mind being screwed on NHI and pension but terrible for a newb that doesn't have classroom or korean experience.

A vet could probably navigate it all and come out on top, but this place sounds like hell for the average FT in Korea.

All the joy of working with a Hakwon, without the tiny benifit of the labor board possibly, maybe, might back you up... since it's the government that'll screw you.
TheUrbanMyth

Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
PRagic wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

There is an extra class here with students who are not a part of the regular program. Yes, some of them drink and drink heavily. One of them caused me my worst class in my life. But drinking is a rare thing. Sometimes, when there isn't a spare teacher, the regular teachers have to teach that group. When there are enough teachers, the one the school wants to get rid of is assigned that group because the school doesn't care about them.

I bolded a few points that you made. Given all that, why would you work there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: