Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TGIF in Gwangju - Hamburgers for foreigners, finally!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Down from Above

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: TGIF in Gwangju - Hamburgers for foreigners, finally! Reply with quote

This isn't an ad, as I'm getting no payment for this in any way - just passing it on. If you don't like TGIF's or aren't in Gwangju, stop now. But if you do go already, read on:

Since it opened last summer, the TGIF in downtown Gwangju has disappointed many a foreigner with its lack of Friday burgers and Dallas burgers. The service is great, but I know that my colleagues where I work, as well as others in the city, have been frustrated that the most popular menu item in the Seoul restaurants is missing in ours.

I had a long talk with the manager tonight. He was surprised to hear that foreigners missed this, so here's what he's offering. TGIF's in Seoul and other places in Korea sell Friday Burgers and Dallas Burgers for 11-12,000w including fries... Though it's not on the menu, he'll provide either only to foreigners and their guests on request, and for 7,700w. (!) He's instructing his server staff tonight to be aware of this deal. If you request this and he's there, he'll load you down with free coupons, too.

The burgers still won't be on the menu - he says it's not easy to get things added to the official menus, which come from head office in Seoul. But he's wanting to do this as a gesture to the foreign community.

Again, just passing it on.
katydid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this going to work? Are they going to have a mess of hamburgers on hand, or do you have to call ahead or something? Smile
Soudns too good to be true, but I hope it isn't. Smile
Down from Above

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katydid wrote:
How is this going to work? Are they going to have a mess of hamburgers on hand, or do you have to call ahead or something? Smile
Soudns too good to be true, but I hope it isn't. Smile

No, no calling ahead. The ingredients involved are also used in other stuff on the menu, so they've got it all back there in the kitchen, I presume. You mention this little deal to the server, all of whom by this time tomorrow or so will have been told of this (in the event they give you a blank look in return, ask for the/a manager).

If you go there frequently you'll probably recognize the manager I'm talking about - white shirt and tie, friendly guy - and he likely has already introduced himself. He usually goes around from table to table asking how things are going.
katydid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely know the guy who you are talking about! That's great that they are finally getting with the program...2 months before I leave for Seoul or the surrounding area. Wink
kangnam mafioso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's so exciting!! you'll never have to eat korean food again!
katydid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, that's not true, but a hamburger made really well is one of the things I miss from back home...something that a fast food chain can't copy, but a diner or a family restaurant can.
matko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnam mafioso wrote:
that's so exciting!! you'll never have to eat korean food again!

Is this supposed to be insulting?

If so, why?
On the other hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Though it's not on the menu, he'll provide either only to foreigners and their guests on request,

And what will happen when Koreans see foreigners getting served burgers, and ask for them as well? Will the manager tell them sorry, Koreans unaccompanied by foreigners are not allowed to order burgers here?

Strange policy. But, I agree, Gwangju TGIF is a great place.
katydid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
Quote:
Though it's not on the menu, he'll provide either only to foreigners and their guests on request,

And what will happen when Koreans see foreigners getting served burgers, and ask for them as well? Will the manager tell them sorry, Koreans unaccompanied by foreigners are not allowed to order burgers here?

Hadn't even thought of that. Yeah that is a wacky policy. Maybe it'll become this word of mouth thing until they can get new menus printed up. The new Mexican food was added into the menu as a special insert.
Down from Above

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
Quote:

I take it as a goodwill gesture to the foreign community, much of which patronizes the place already (there's always at least a few when I'm there). Good on him. As far as the answer to your question, I dunno. He's the guy to ask. I'm sure it's not a problem. Maybe they can have the burgers too, but at Seoul prices?

From the sound of it, it doesn't seem like it will be added to the menus in the near future though. This is a "you need to ask for it" special.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not eat korean food? Are you nuts? I miss 5,000 won dinners and 2,500 won lunches Sad
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i miss Korean food already.. give me galbi or give me taejigalbi.. thats what i say.
The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These kinds of threads always depress me.

MacDonald's tried to build a restaurant in KJ years ago, but had to give up, cos the building was stoned. Stoned in a biblical sense.

I always thought that was great: not for any love for K or hate for McD's, just some concerned citizens standing up for what they thought was right.

I know things have to change, but when the first one finally went up I was a little saddened. And now TGIFridays?

Mark my words, the day will come when you will rejoice to find a city with over a million people and no McDonald's or Dallas burger.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MacDonald's tried to build a restaurant in KJ years ago, but had to give up, cos the building was stoned. Stoned in a biblical sense.

I always thought that was great: not for any love for K or hate for McD's, just some concerned citizens standing up for what they thought was right.

Kok:

Do you think people who don't like the CBC should go down to their building in Toronto and throw rocks at it? After all, they're "concerned", and they certainly think their opinions are "right".
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mark my words, the day will come when you will rejoice to find a city with over a million people and no McDonald's or Dallas burger.

It's called Pyongyang, KoK. Not much rejoicing going on.

What a bizarre post, arguing for fewer choices, not more. Easy for you to write, living in a North American city where you can have Malay food one night, Thai the next, Indian and Mexican the next day, and Korean 6 times in a weekend all at different places if you so desire. Those of us who live in Kwangju - and you were one once - don't have this array of options.

If a person doesn't like a style of restaurant, they can vote with their dollars or won and not go. Most of the KFCs in the city (all but one way in the north end), and several McDonalds, closed in recent months because this happened.

But throwing rocks at the place in a bid to deny it to others is *not* "concerned citizens standing up for what they thought was right". Its a small group of people trying to force their will on others. No one was forcing those people to eat at McDs, so what's it to them? Fighting the arrival of a foreign invader? Korean culture threatened? Spare me. You must have thought Mao's Red Guards were cute, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: