Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best bookstore in Seoul - used and new?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Best bookstore in Seoul - used and new? Reply with quote

whats the best bookstore in seoul for english books - used and new? im mainly thinking here of selection, price is secondary but still important. i find kyobo's selection decent but still leaves a lot to be desired. price wise kyobo can be steep and they have weird price disparities. i saw a copy of the The Tiananmen Papers, all 513 pages of it for 20,000 won. meanwhile a short book of less than 200 pages by Noam Chomsky of a talk he gave in india was 50,000!
chiaa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had nothing to do with this. Nor will I use it to my advantage. Most of you should know what I mean. Very Happy
Groo the Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the Book. http://whatthebook.com/

Although their website is a touch bright. . .
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groo the Wanderer wrote:
What the Book. http://whatthebook.com/

Although their website is a touch bright. . .

I second this store. It's pretty decent.

Is there something wrong with my friends? I just got an email that one guy narrowly avoided the cops after he shot a Mac-11 on the freeway!
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what the book for second hand stuff. For other stuff, I like Bandi & Lunis at the COEX mall.
justagirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Bandi and Lewis seems to have a better selection than Kyobo. However, I almost always use: yesasia.com

They ship the books to you for free, and no mark-ups for imported books. It is the best thing! They have absolutely EVERYTHING, as long as you don't mind not holding the book in your hand and flipping through it before you buy it.

Second hand...Abby's usually has the best selection of newer used books. I've been in a couple used bookstores where a lot of the books were old and didn't look interesting. However, I haven't been up that way for over a month, so who knows how things have changed? Smile

3rd option: come to my house and buy some of my books. I have over 150 novels, easily. Laughing It's too many to lug up to Seoul to the used bookstores, but I've run out of room on all the bookshelves and everything is 2-3 rows deep. I've got to do something soon!

justagirl
Tembo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Used Books -Seoul Reply with quote

'What the Book' is good, but I think they need to do some work on labeling areas (i.e. fiction, history, arts, etc.) Abby's is nice because of this. I can see 'What the Book' evolving into a nice place to relax and search for treasures. Also they seem fresh and excited about stocking new titles. Just my observations. -T
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For new books I prefer the Kangnam Station Kyobo.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justagirl wrote:
Second hand...Abby's usually has the best selection of newer used books. I've been in a couple used bookstores where a lot of the books were old and didn't look interesting. However, I haven't been up that way for over a month, so who knows how things have changed?

The other used book store near the Noksapyeong station (Foreign Book Store) usually overprices its used books, though it has a bigger selection than Abby's. Plus, Abby's gives you a better deal when you wanna either sell or trade your old books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: