Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McDonalds's Korean Ads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: McDonalds's Korean Ads Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the commercials McD's has been pimping on Korean teevee? They're claiming they have 100% Australian beef in they're burgers (gee, wonder why?), and showing meat in a grinder.

Man, I FN hate McDonalds. I bet some proud, American cattle ranchers would be VERY p.o.'d to see that ad, and I also bet that McD's in the States (the motherland, to them) has been making some very encouraging claims to the public that their beef is so safe and that the thought of contracting BSE-related disease (sorry; couldn't remember the term ascribed to humans with the disease) is downright ludicrous.

What they're saying, essentially, is "don't worry, folks; the mad cow might get those(us) Yanks, but here in the ROK we only use Aussie beef, and only because we love y'all so damned much."

Again, I FN hay-yate McDonald's. My only wish is that an American reporter picks up on this story and publicizes it to the American public.

FU, batardos.

Evil, Angry Sparkles*_*
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen the commercials here, but I expect that the actual wording is something like this: the beef in our burgers is 100% Australian beef. This wordism is done like this for legal reasons-- the beef in our burgers is 100% Australian beef-- the filling in our burgers is 100% filling.

I'm not a tree-hugger morally opposed to McD's. I just think it's terrible and unhealthy 'food'. I haven't been to one since 1986.

Ken:>
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moldy Rutabaga wrote:
I have not seen the commercials here, but I expect that the actual wording is something like this: the beef in our burgers is 100% Australian beef. This wordism is done like this for legal reasons-- the beef in our burgers is 100% Australian beef-- the filling in our burgers is 100% filling.

I'm not a tree-hugger morally opposed to McD's. I just think it's terrible and unhealthy 'food'. I haven't been to one since 1986.

86? crap
wow
remember when you only got plastic covers on your drinks if you got the drink "to go"?
Now people put a cap on it and then walk to their table five feet away and put a straw in it .
Can't people just drink it without a cap and straw?
The cap was originally designed for food 'to go', not so you could carry it five feet to your table. Do people cap their drinks at home?
Why is everyone capping their drinks?

"hey man their's no more caps here!"
so what!!!!!!
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about what they do at fast food places here? two caps, tape and a bag for a drink that I'm perfectly capable of carrying without spilling, if it weren't in the stupid bag.
shawner88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McDonald's in Korea is the worst of any country. You can't get breakfast, everything is smaller, the prices have been going up even though they pay workers jack crap, like 2,000 won an hour. I rarely get fresh fries and when I take them back and complain they act like I'm out of my mind. Now they're pimping Aussie beef? WTF?
Zenpickle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a film that was causing stirs at Sundance recently where this guy documented himself eating at McDonald's three times a day for thirty days. He had a camera crew with him and three doctors analyzing what happened to him. Obviously he put on a lot of weight, and his cholesterol shot up dangerously. The scariest thing is that one of the doctors said that his liver had turned into pate. The guy got inspired to do this film after he saw McDonald's telling the public in 2002 that its food was healthy.

And a good book...
Eric Schlosser. "Fast Food Nation." Read it.
desultude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennigans also has a claim on its menu that they use only 100% safe Australian beef. They really stress the safe part. If only the problem with ground beef were limited to BSE!

I love the meat grinder part of the McDonald's ad- as if anyone is grinding your beef with a lovely little grinder. No way- it is tons of scrap beef tossed in together so your burger can come from 100 different cows. But if you like burgers, you should love sausage. Ever think about what goes into that delicacy?
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardyandTiny wrote:
Moldy Rutabaga wrote:

86? crap
wow
remember when you only got plastic covers on your drinks if you got the drink "to go"?
Now people put a cap on it and then walk to their table five feet away and put a straw in it .
The cap was originally designed for food 'to go', not so you could carry it five feet to your table. Do people cap their drinks at home?

so what!!!!!!

I always have to have a cap and straw. The reason I want the cap is because it holds my straw in place and it prevents my drink from going EVERYWHERE should I spill it. The reason I need a straw is my teeth are way too sensitive to the cold, if I order a fountain drink I will NOT drink it without a straw unless there is no ice in the cup...my teeth cannot handle it.
Shincheon_Blues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultude wrote:
But if you like burgers, you should love sausage. Ever think about what goes into that delicacy?

Mmmmmmmmm. Assholes and lips! As long as there's nothing I can recognize I have no complaints.
Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:
HardyandTiny wrote:
Moldy Rutabaga wrote:

86? crap
wow

so what!!!!!!

I always have to have a cap and straw. The reason I want the cap is because it holds my straw in place and it prevents my drink from going EVERYWHERE should I spill it. The reason I need a straw is my teeth are way too sensitive to the cold, if I order a fountain drink I will NOT drink it without a straw unless there is no ice in the cup...my teeth cannot handle it.

Also, that way you can't see the flies in your ice cubes.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good point was made that McDonald's, which is an American company, should not be implying that American beef is unsafe. They need to communicate with the head office on marketing strategy as the two are contradicting each other.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
I think a good point was made that McDonald's, which is an American company, should not be implying that American beef is unsafe. They need to communicate with the head office on marketing strategy as the two are contradicting each other.

Just my own observation, but many nominally American companies have less than zero sense of patriotism. They are in the business of making money -- period.

It may well be that McDonald's overseas earnings equal or exceed their American earnings. In any case, if badmouthing American beef in Korea (which is now banned, right?) will boost McDonald's Korean sales, I have no doubt that the head office approves wholeheartedly.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
kangnamdragon wrote:

Just my own observation, but many nominally American companies have less than zero sense of patriotism. They are in the business of making money -- period.

It may well be that McDonald's overseas earnings equal or exceed their American earnings. In any case, if badmouthing American beef in Korea (which is now banned, right?) will boost McDonald's Korean sales, I have no doubt that the head office approves wholeheartedly.

True, but it is not just unpatriotic. It is a contradiction of what they are saying in the States. I understand they are appealing to their market, but it would be like selling Korean water in America and not drinking it here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
dogbert wrote:
kangnamdragon wrote:

True, but it is not just unpatriotic. It is a contradiction of what they are saying in the States. I understand they are appealing to their market, but it would be like selling Korean water in America and not drinking it here.

Oh, I see what you mean. I do wonder how the food service industry is handling the whole mad cow thing in the U.S.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:

Oh, I see what you mean. I do wonder how the food service industry is handling the whole mad cow thing in the U.S.

I was there when it started. McDonald's said the beef is safe, so come eat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: