Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long after E-2 expires before you have to leave?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawner88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why I'm saying it's better to be safe than sorry. Some people are still saying 15 days, others 24 hours. I suggest calling immigration or going there firsthand.
khyber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'm going to immigration in Busan Tomorrow. I will ask them (since i need to find this out myself) and will tell you, straight from the immigration horses mouth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that is you may just be told what you are told and it may not be accurate. Many people, including myself have been told 20 different things to the precisely same question at immigration.

And that can be fine. I'm only saying what the written and documented law is, the one on the books. I can, as other things, be told and interpreted differently.

Say you are told two weeks in Busan, go to the airport and then the immigration grunt at the counter thinks you have overstayed your 24 hour period ... and fines you, holds you, etc ....

I'm only saying what the law technically is and yet I doubt many people are actually affected by the letter of the law when departing the country.

Anyhow, let us know what you're told ...

That's that
shawner88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhapsget something in writing and the clerks's name and number if possible. Hell, bring a mini recorder. Razz
chronicpride

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khyber wrote:
well, i'm going to immigration in Busan Tomorrow. I will ask them (since i need to find this out myself) and will tell you, straight from the immigration horses mouth

That's what I would recommend anybody to do, especially in matters that may concern visa overstays. People get burnt by following ESLCafe hearsay just as much as they are helped by it.

In matters like this, doing your own offline research is much safer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahahaaaa

I've specifically told you where to find the information and .....

Well okay, if you want specific code numbers and so on, then okay .....

It's even right there on EFL-Law

But yea, ignore the hearsay ... i.e., don't ask ....

Anyhow "I stand by what I said"
chronicpride

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelyontherok wrote:
hahahahaaaa

I've specifically told you where to find the information and .....

Well okay, if you want specific code numbers and so on, then okay .....

It's even right there on EFL-Law

But yea, ignore the hearsay ... i.e., don't ask ....

Anyhow "I stand by what I said"

I was not isolating you in my post. I was referring to your advice, my earlier advice, and the collection of others that contributed. There is no clear consensus of what is fact, therefore, it's best for people to do their own fact-finding, given that it's a pretty important concern.

I apologize if you thought that my post carried any negative slight towards you. It wasn't my intention.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even in the slightest actually, that was just my reply

I find long drawn out things hilarious and my brain tumor causes my typing fingers to stutter on the H and A keys on occasion Smile

Sorry
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only consensus we'll get on this thread is that Immigration is consistently inconsistent Confused
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelyontherok wrote:
Feel free to stand by it, however you have no facts. Being "told" something means nothing. Talk to and request a copy of the law, the immigration policy, and a copy of E Class Visa Departure procedures for Immigration employees at the airport. They all clearly state the LAW. Ask EFL-Law, as any immigration attorney ... and have them show you the documents. Standing by something just because means little unless you can back it up and documents are the only way.

That's alll .... so no offense, but you're giving incorrect information. If you want the documents, can't get them on your own ..... I'd be happy to provide you my originals ....

Get a copy of "the law"? Ok, I believe you probably don't have a grace period, but just so you know, I've asked immigration officials at Omokyo for a copy of "the law" before, and they couldn't provide it. In fact, they started getting angry with me because I was asking to see the law and not believing them.

(This was about the law for working at two different schools, by the way).

No kidding -- the people at the windows couldn't do it, nor could the supervisor. I'm sure EFL Law could, but to the people at the windows, it's all about cowboy law -- "What I say is the law, and I don't need to back up my advice with paper."

In Korea, however, what they say doesn't matter when it comes to giving you a fine because of "the law".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly

I didn't suggest it would be easy to get and I didn't get it by just asking at some window; it took a good long while of letters, asking, calls, and ..... well it isn't relevant

More proof of what you are told and how you are treated doesn't matter

What did they tell you besides not giving you a copy of something ?
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking about a different situation than this one. But the experience cemented into my mind that the people at immigration are either misinformed, or the whole system is just set up to screw people. Sometimes I wonder.

But basically, they didn't have any form or law they could show me (in Korean or English) as a reference. The answer was, "because I told you so...."

When I asked them how it was that they knew the answer, they said they didn't know... it's just that way. I asked them if they read it from a lawbook or an immigration "study book" of some sort, and they couldn't say. They just heard it from someone else???

The thing that miffed me was that their website information was different than the information given at the window.

And what's really dumb is that they have this immigrations website where you can post questions, but they answer them about once every 2 or 3 months! Worthless. The site is filled with posts complaining about how dumb it is that they never answer.

Talk about confusing!
matthewwoodford

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone I've ever talked to about this has said 14 days grace, 14 days grace, but sure enough, on my last visa run the check in clerk sent me to the immigration office where I was told off for overstaying my visa by 6 days. I said I was told by my employer who had checked with immigration at Mokdong that I had 14 days grace, and they replied 'You have the wrong information'.

The guy in the office let me off without any fine and simply stamped my passport so I guess I was lucky. You don't have 14 days grace. It would be a great idea if you did but no that would be too easy..
jajdude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24 hours? Better be packed and ready with ticket departing within a day of your final class. Sounds silly to be in such a rush to get rid of an upstanding waygookin though.

Sounds like an opportunity to get taken by the boss too.... yikes, watch out!
ilovebdt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overstayed my VISA by one day. I was told two weeks grace aswell. Will I be able to get another E2 Visa?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: