Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long after E-2 expires before you have to leave?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glimmer wrote:
shawner88 wrote:
Seems especially odd since you're supposed to get your visa before you even come to Korea and that you have to stay exactly one year to be legally eligible for severance pay. That means it's impossible, since you'd be coming at least a few days after the visa was issued.

That's what I was wondering ... it seems that practically everyone who works for a full 12 months on an E-2 would have to apply for an extension in that case. My ARC card expires one week before my contract does, so I guess I'll need to apply for at least 7 days' grace when the time comes.

umm....NO.

Your one year starts with your entry stamp into Korea, NOT the visa issuance date.

In theory, your first day in Korea would also be your first day of work (although some hakwons don't count you as started until you actually start teaching classes on your own) so your last day would also complete a full year.

Bottom line however is , "GET THE EXTENSION" if you need one. There IS NO GRACE PERIOD after your ARC expires.

englishiscrazy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: The NO B.S. Version Reply with quote

The NO BS VERSION
I have spoken to many that have been stopped at the airport less than a week after visa and ARC expiry (reasonable time to get their stuff together) and they have received warnings and fines.

The one day(24hours) is the official grace period so Korea doesn't look mean. I know... they are still mean.

Many have mentioned about 10 or 15 days but you will not be protected by law to leave without penalty or a record of immigration breach (which affects future applications)
Some contracts mention 2 weeks for ticket reimbursements -Don't confuse contract agreements with immigration.

As stated by others extensions for departure are available up to 30 days after you expiry if you take a plane ticket for the date you are leaving (this should be applied for at least one day before visa expiry)

Finally, don't take what some clerk tells you on the phone. Get it in writing. At the end of the day, it is you who will pay the fine or be detained if you get it wrong. Don't take that chance and get your sh*t together early.
barneygumbell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so can someone tell me..if my visa expires on august 10 it is okay for me to leave the country on august 11 without any penalties?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barneygumbell wrote:
so can someone tell me..if my visa expires on august 10 it is okay for me to leave the country on august 11 without any penalties?

NO.

You MUST be through passport control by MIDNIGHT on the LAST DATE indicated on your ARC or you WILL BE in an OVERSTAY position.

You may not get fined but it will be recorded as an overstay in your immigration file.

GET AN EXTENSION if you need one. They are FREE and you only need a plane ticket, your ARC and passport to get it.

Openfire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Visa was issued for 13 months from date of entry into Korea..I don't know how that happened thought. but I don't have this problem.

I don't know who gave them the 13 months because I only said a year so I thought it was a general thing...this is interesting to me, unless I'm reading something wrong on my passport.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Openfire wrote:
My Visa was issued for 13 months from date of entry into Korea..I don't know how that happened thought. but I don't have this problem.

I don't know who gave them the 13 months because I only said a year so I thought it was a general thing...this is interesting to me, unless I'm reading something wrong on my passport.

It has become pretty standard now for E2s to issue the visa for 13 months (because of the constant requirement within that visa class to get short extensions to allow them to complete their contracts).

Openfire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Openfire wrote:

It has become pretty standard now for E2s to issue the visa for 13 months (because of the constant requirement within that visa class to get short extensions to allow them to complete their contracts).

So these people writing they have no time to do anything...was that a standard that was not met by the consulate they got it from?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Openfire wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
Openfire wrote:

So these people writing they have no time to do anything...was that a standard that was not met by the consulate they got it from?

The early part of the thread dates back to about 7 years ago; things were different and the standard was 1 calendar year from entry to expiry.

The bottom line in all of it however is the date on your ARC (not what your visa in your passport says).

Be out of Korea (or get an extension) before your ARC expires or face the consequences.

Openfire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh good they've become more logical Smile
beison

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a slightly complicated situation.

I work for GEPIK and they say that they will reimburse plane tickets home up to 10 days after the contract ends. Seeing how this is the case, I went and booked a ticket to thailand, starting the day my contract ends. I'd fly back to Korea, then stay at a friend's house for one night, and then go back to Incheon to catch another flight back to America.

I would be leaving Korea March 1st, my ARC ends March 3rd, and I'd come back from Thailand March 9th, and fly back to America March 11th.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to get a tourist Visa? Should I get a tourist Visa, or just apply for an extension of stay? I know I can get the extension real easily, but the immigration office is 2 hours away from me via bus so I'm trying to totally understand the situation before I make the long haul.

Visa Extension, or Tourist Visa?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beison wrote:

I work for GEPIK and they say that they will reimburse plane tickets home up to 10 days after the contract ends. Seeing how this is the case, I went and booked a ticket to thailand, starting the day my contract ends. I'd fly back to Korea, then stay at a friend's house for one night, and then go back to Incheon to catch another flight back to America.

I would be leaving Korea March 1st, my ARC ends March 3rd, and I'd come back from Thailand March 9th, and fly back to America March 11th.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to get a tourist Visa? Should I get a tourist Visa, or just apply for an extension of stay? I know I can get the extension real easily, but the immigration office is 2 hours away from me via bus so I'm trying to totally understand the situation before I make the long haul.

If you were here on an E2 then you also qualify for a visa free entry on arrival stamp when you return from Thailand.

As long as you have all your tickets in hand it will be easy and worry free.

So in simple terms:

-Finish work and depart for the LOS on Mar. 1. (hand in your ARC on the way through passport control - They WILL ask for it and you can be fined up to 100k won if you don't hand it in)
-Enjoy your time in the sun (the weather is nice down here at the moment).
-Return to Korea on Mar. 9. Enter Korea on a visa waiver stamp (entry on arrival). I assume that you are American so you will get a 90 day entry stamp.
-Depart as planned and head for home on the 11th.

Have a nice vacation and flight home.

beison

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
beison wrote:

If you were here on an E2 then you also qualify for a visa free entry on arrival stamp when you return from Thailand.

As long as you have all your tickets in hand it will be easy and worry free.

So in simple terms:

-Finish work and depart for the LOS on Mar. 1. (hand in your ARC on the way through passport control - They WILL ask for it and you can be fined up to 100k won if you don't hand it in)
-Enjoy your time in the sun (the weather is nice down here at the moment).
-Return to Korea on Mar. 9. Enter Korea on a visa waiver stamp (entry on arrival). I assume that you are American so you will get a 90 day entry stamp.
-Depart as planned and head for home on the 11th.

Have a nice vacation and flight home.

That's pretty much the best, and most clearly written advice I've ever gotten on any forum ever. Thank you so much!
Clockout

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good info ttompatz.

I almost bought a flight for the day after my expiration.

Do public schools generally give you that absolute last day as a personal/travel day? I know this depends on the school but just curious.
spaceman82

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long will Immigration normally extend one's stay by these days? I'd like to stay an extra month if at all possible, but don't want to buy a plane ticket and then have them reject my application for an extension.

Also, is online extension possible and, if so, fairly painless?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: