Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I bring my cat?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob V

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Should I bring my cat? Reply with quote

Hello, I am planning on coming to Korea in about a month and was wondering if I should bring my cat with me. Would it be a pain to do, woudl it be fair to the cat? How easy/difficult would the process be? Thanks.

Bob
peppermint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans generally hate and fear cats, you'd have to go to a pet store all the time to get cat food and kitty litter etc. Most of the cats on the streets are wildcats, and it's probably not a good idea to let your cat out of the house.

I've heard a few nightmares about vets here too- simply because they aren't used to cats, probably.
osangrl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in korea and I have a cat.

I could never leave it. I say bring your cat. Yes cat food, and litter is a bit more expensive...........and i have a great vet,,,, go to a foreign area to find one............ isn't it worth it to bring your furry friend along?
camel96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to be sharing an apartment....?
It seems 50% of westerners absolutely despise cats, a lot of people have some pretty serious cat allergies. If you ended up with a room-mate like this I'd guarantee there's going to be some pretty serious animosity.
tsgarp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have long succulent legs and plump ribs?
camel96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsgarp wrote:

See my point....?

Laughing
tsgarp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camel96 wrote:
tsgarp wrote:

See my point....?

Laughing

What are you talking about, camel? I'm a westerner but I loooveee cat er cats.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camel96 wrote:
Are you going to be sharing an apartment....?
It seems 50% of westerners absolutely despise cats, a lot of people have some pretty serious cat allergies. If you ended up with a room-mate like this I'd guarantee there's going to be some pretty serious animosity.

I shared a place with a guy with a cat, had me sneezing a lot...was only for a month or it just wouldn't have happened.

Find out where you are going to live, then go from there. If you are going to be moved around a lot, forget it.
Shincheon_Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camel makes a good point. If I were living in a place and my new roommate arrived with any animal, he/she would be finding new accommodations that instant.

I have allergies to cats myself and I also don't care for cat hair on my clothes. I also don't particularly care for a box of pee and cat turds inside.

Hmmmm....the more I think about it, I don't like cats.
desultude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do you plan to stay in Korea? Are you planning to go somewhere else later? Are you planning a career of travel in ESL? Are you planning to spend time vacationing in other parts of the world? If your only stop is Korea, bring the cat if it is important to you. If you are planning other wise, find a good loving home for the cat and come unencumbered.

Its hard to do. I had to leave a cat and a dog, that I have for six years. But I knew that it would be better for them to have a stable and consistent home. I still really miss them, but they are living creatures and don't exist for my entertainment. Bouncing around the globe is not so good for domestic animals. Think about what is best for your animal, then decide.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let your cat outside alone. Walk it on a leash, sure. Cat's are hated and feared here.
Which is 'odd' because cats are domestic animals, right? Dogs and cats are the two main domestic animals kepts as pets. They've associated with humans closely enough to become domesticated over the centuries/millenia. I just think it's odd that cats are part of the neighbourhood in the Korean cityscape, 'but not'. Some big old tom cats which march like sluggers and, not being fixed, spray their turf. The yowling that goes on at night, sounding like women or children crying almost. The torn garbage bags where the street cats have been feeding. I see some food, sometimes, set out for street cats. In the OLD days in Korea cats had a role protecting the village grain store. But those days are gone. Now cats are out of a job and living on the street.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. I brought my cat. It's great to have a little friend here to keep me company from time to time. While not as common as in Japan, you can find kitty litter & food at some of the bigger stores & vets etc.

Good luck Laughing
Tony Danza's Houseguest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note: If you do bring your cat and it is meowing at 3 AM next to the forty six billion other cats outside my window, I will not be held responsible if I throw a boot or a refrigerator at it. Is there a more sickening sound when you're trying to sleep than "Meeeeeeeowwww?"...."Meow."...."Mmmmmmeeeeeeeeowwww?"..."Meeoww."?
ryleeys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got horrendous allergies to cats... but that said, if I were to ever have to live with someone that had a pet cat, I'd just go find some powerful allergy pills. It's hard to move to another country and if having a pet here helps, then who am I to say no. Personally, I miss my dogs more than anything in America.

I would get a pet here, except my apartment is very small and I'd feel bad to take them back on the airplane.

I'd suggest asking a vet in your town what the rigors of a 10+ hour flight on an animal are.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my students in the last adult class I had said his 'job' as a kid was to catch cats and bring them to his mother.

I asked why.

He said his mom has a bad back and eating cat is good for her back.

I asked why.

He said cats are supple and so are good for bad backs.

I asked how they are cooked.

He said his mom would dump a live cat in boiling water and slam the lid down.

I asked if his mom still had a bad back.

He said yes.

I asked why.

He said she must not have eaten enough cat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: