Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMOE & airfare back home?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nycgrl99

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: SMOE & airfare back home? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I will not be renewing my contract and am planning on heading home in August. Does SMOE purchase a ticket for me (like they did when I got here) or do they reimburse me? If they reimburse, how does that work?

I tried to ask someone at my school about this but nobody seemed to know anything. The usual.

Thanks!
Cstock

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Airfare Reply with quote

If you reserve your ticket now and fill out a GTR form found on the ETIS site: http://etis.sen.go.kr/ (it's in the download section)

Then The Govt. will pay for it all and you won't have to wait for reimbursement.

HOWEVER, and there's always a however, they will not give YOU confirmation of you ticket until 2 weeks before the date of departure. They will email you an e-ticket then.

The other route is to buy your own ticket, keep printed proof of everything and submit a reimbursement application (same site as above) and they'll pay back up to 2,000,000won. But I think they're going to lower the money very soon on how much they'll pay back so look into it.

Hope this helps.
Cstock

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Airfare Reply with quote

If you reserve your ticket now with KOREAN AIR and fill out a GTR form found on the ETIS site: http://etis.sen.go.kr/ (it's in the download section)

Then The Govt. will pay for it all and you won't have to wait for reimbursement.

HOWEVER, and there's always a however, they will not give YOU confirmation of you ticket until 2 weeks before the date of departure. They will email you an e-ticket then.

The other route is to buy your own ticket, keep printed proof of everything and submit a reimbursement application (same site as above) and they'll pay back up to 2,000,000won. But I think they're going to lower the money very soon on how much they'll pay back so look into it.

Hope this helps.
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Airfare Reply with quote

Cstock wrote:

...and they'll pay back up to 2,000,000won.

Is that in the contract? What does the contract say?

Quote:
But I think they're going to lower the money very soon on how much they'll pay back so look into it.

True.
egrog1717

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you with contracts up in August:
Your contract will be honoured as to flights (IE: They will buy your ticket home, or reimburse you the full amount)

For those of you renewing in August:
Next year the contract is changing. If you are not renewing next August, SMOE will give you 1.3 million to buy your ticket home. If you are renewing, they will give you 2.0 million to buy your round-trip airfare.

(Info from my district, as of last week... Though TiK - things change Razz lol)
alice123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we leave after our camps? I know our last day of the contract is 8/24/09 but I will be totally done with camps and all the teaching. My last day of work will be August 7th. So, if I want to fly out on the 8th or 9th is that possible? Or I have to wait until the 24th to fly out?
dean_burrito

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You work till the 24th. If you have vacation days left you can leave early. Otherwise it's up to your school. If you don't have any vacation days left I'm sure you could try to negotiate less pay. Personally I'd stick around for the easy money.
dean_burrito

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my last comment back. I just read the renewal papers and it's worded rather vaguely as all official documents I've seen.

If you don�t want to resign the contract or don�t pass the evaluation for renewal by SMOE, you should return to your home country before the Visa Expiration Date and we�ll offer you one way Return Air Ticket.

So yeah, I guess you could possibly leave early and I should have used all my vacation days already. Doh! Hard to do with a six week winter camp though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: