Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Avalon a good wagwon to go with for a newbie?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCJames

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogwons are all pretty much the same.
Majeh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: After reading your posts, I'm glad I didn't sign w/ Avalon. Reply with quote

I was offered when a position w/ Avalon when another recruiter found a GEPIK position w/ the same pay, full airfare reimbursement (I was supposed to be an in-Korea hire.) and less hours, I decided to accept the GEPIK position. When I notified the Avalon recruiter, he gave me a hard time about it me turning down his job offer. Recruiter #2 interceded on my behalf and I went with the GEPIK position.

The key was that although I had signed the contract w/ Avalon, their recruiter never gave me a postal address to mail all the required documents; therefore, my work visa had not been transferred to the new employer.
tnrc75

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is Avalon a good wagwon to go with for a newbie? Reply with quote

nwiley wrote:
\ Any feedback is welcome.
Thanks again

Hi there nwiley, I work for an Avalon school, have been here about 7 months. Working for a big school like Avalon means that an infrastructure is in place whereby your basic needs will be taken care of - pay will be on time, accommodation is taken care of quite well. Have had some difficulties in getting attention paid to the needs of western teachers at our school (getting things fixed in apartments, addressing questions about employment, resolving concerns about some of the necessities of life in Korea) but I would imagine that is nothing particularly different from the stories of people at other hagwons also. There is a curriculum, there is plenty of work to do, but also as another poster stated, and I'd concur, unless you are incredibly incompetent, you will be able to remain a teacher @ Avalon. I'd also echo what one of the last posters said, that most hagwons are fairly similar. Yeah, there is variation, but if you're relatively competent, you'll be fine. Good luck and feel free to PM if you have more questions.
ajp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, as far as hagwons go avalon's not too bad. Sure the focus is 100% on making money, not on teaching, but all hagwons are businesses and will have that focus more or less.

The curriculum is not great, but if you're a half decent teacher you can learn to work with it and get some good discussions going in class.

The kicker is really who's running the branch. We had a great director when I started my contract with them, but she got replaced by a dragon lady when I was about 4-5 months in and that was a bit of a downer. On the plus side, she liked me for some reason, which I think is the reason I didn't get cheated out of any money when my contract was done.

The take home message of this is, when it comes to hagwons, speak with some of the people who work at that branch and get their opinions. It's hard to make accurate blanket statements about the large chain hagwons..
DaeguNL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose Avalon mainly because they pay on time
adventurrre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been working at an Avalon-affiliated school under another name for 1 month.... and it rocks.
toaocoz_09

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They pay on time...yes...and I don't want to sound like a prima Dona but they also....

took me to the wrong apartment and left me there on my first night in Korea...I would have had to sleep on the streets on a cold February night if a lovely Korean family hadn't seen my crying in the elevator and driven me to a nice hotel. Avalon later refused to pay me the money that I spent on the hotel

Brought me over in February then told me I didnt have a job until June! Luckily somebody got fired (for simply handing in his notice because he was unhappy) and I got a job after a month of hanging around

Banned us from traveling out of the country because of Swine flu

Banned us from seeing our families who want to visit (because of course 'everyone in Europe has swine flu' quote from the students...bless em!)

I'm having to do a midnight run next week because the last person to hand in their notice got fired on the spot!

I guess I just got unlucky because my colleagues have had a great time working for Avalon, and afterall it is a buisness so they have to think of money. I suppose it could have been worse but even so I wouldn�t rate Avalon at all to anyone.
tenchu77491

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeonsu-gu Avalon in Incheon by chance?

Avalon is a huge risk. I guess you may get lucky or you may get the shaft. I got the shaft and so do many people.
Dude Ranch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is a good avalon campus in seoul to live and work at? ie. which campus is in the best area for someone looking to have a good time?
fetuskarate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bupyeong, Incheon. The director is an ass who seems to care more about appearances (typical) than actual teaching. He would patrol the halls and look into our classrooms, then come inside *while we were teaching* and reprimand us for the pettiest things: ie, students turning around to speak to each other, a student standing up to throw away trash, physical signs of merriment, etc. He also decided to implement a dress code several months into my contract. Everyone had to suddenly start wearing business casual and acceptable shoes to match.

A few months later, the director decided he suddenly cared about how the teachers actually performed in a classroom, so he began scheduling mock teaching sessions that he never actually attended himself. He didn't seem to care at all about the welfare of the teachers- at one point, some of us were working 37 hours a week in a pinch. We were also required to attend pointless teaching "workshops" that, again, he didn't himself seem to care about.

The worst was when the "big boss" would come to the school. He'd be even more critical toward the teachers, particularly the foreigners. We were then lectured on how we had to smile more. But at the same time, kids could not turn around in their desks, or appear to be happy. Keep in mind, this is an 80 minute class. Teaching became stressful, as his face in the window almost never brought any good news.

While I was there, I watched 4 or 5 Korean teachers quit in the space of 7 months. Nobody liked this guy. Apparently he's not so bad these days, but whatever.

Vacation time sucks as well. You had to ask them months in advance for days off (fair) and you could never guarantee dates, as the director wouldn't make a decision about it until a month or so before. You couldn't take vacation days during certain times either. They tried to count weekends as part of our 10 days, and didn't allow us to take 2 consecutive weekends off... ?! I was also incredibly sick once, and though I'd never taken a sick day up to that point, I was told to come into work anyway- I was told this over the phone, while I was in the hospital with a 39.5 degree temperature. Apparently, you can only pry your rightful days off from their cold, dead fingers.

On a positive note, Avalon paid me on time. We got 100,000W bonuses for Chuseok and Christmas. Even once when Avalon was doing really well financially. I had a really good apartment (after switching out of your standard shoebox). My coworkers were good, and we had a couple of free dinners out.

In conclusion, it's your typical hagwon. Since they're big, it's more of a business than a place of learning, but unless you're a complete dropkick, you won't be fired. As far as your boss, it's a total toss up. Worth it for a first job, but hunt around and you can do better.
Smee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fetuskarate wrote:
Bupyeong, Incheon. The director is an ass who seems to care more about appearances (typical) than actual teaching. He would patrol the halls and look into our classrooms, then come inside *while we were teaching* and reprimand us for the pettiest things: ie, students turning around to speak to each other, a student standing up to throw away trash, physical signs of merriment, etc. He also decided to implement a dress code several months into my contract. Everyone had to suddenly start wearing business casual and acceptable shoes to match.

A few months later, the director decided he suddenly cared about how the teachers actually performed in a classroom, so he began scheduling mock teaching sessions that he never actually attended himself. He didn't seem to care at all about the welfare of the teachers- at one point, some of us were working 37 hours a week in a pinch. We were also required to attend pointless teaching "workshops" that, again, he didn't himself seem to care about.

The worst was when the "big boss" would come to the school. He'd be even more critical toward the teachers, particularly the foreigners. We were then lectured on how we had to smile more. But at the same time, kids could not turn around in their desks, or appear to be happy. Keep in mind, this is an 80 minute class. Teaching became stressful, as his face in the window almost never brought any good news.

While I was there, I watched 4 or 5 Korean teachers quit in the space of 7 months. Nobody liked this guy. Apparently he's not so bad these days, but whatever.

Vacation time sucks as well. You had to ask them months in advance for days off (fair) and you could never guarantee dates, as the director wouldn't make a decision about it until a month or so before. You couldn't take vacation days during certain times either. They tried to count weekends as part of our 10 days, and didn't allow us to take 2 consecutive weekends off... ?! I was also incredibly sick once, and though I'd never taken a sick day up to that point, I was told to come into work anyway- I was told this over the phone, while I was in the hospital with a 39.5 degree temperature. Apparently, you can only pry your rightful days off from their cold, dead fingers.

On a positive note, Avalon paid me on time. We got 100,000W bonuses for Chuseok and Christmas. Even once when Avalon was doing really well financially. I had a really good apartment (after switching out of your standard shoebox). My coworkers were good, and we had a couple of free dinners out.

In conclusion, it's your typical hagwon. Since they're big, it's more of a business than a place of learning, but unless you're a complete dropkick, you won't be fired. As far as your boss, it's a total toss up. Worth it for a first job, but hunt around and you can do better.

A lot of these things summarize my year with Avalon, in Bundang, as well. There were some benefits, but it would have been very hard to put in more than one year at a place where I was merely decoration, a necessary evil where its Korean teachers were the stars. Sure, a lot of the "problems" I faced were endemic to teaching English in Korea, but, I'll say again, why bother with a school that tried to take away foreign teachers' passports? Oh, sure, they changed their minds a day later, but why deal with people who think like that and who perpetuated the belief that swine flu is a foreigners' disease?
Wurmwood

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for Avalon my first two years. The first year was good because I was part of the corporate chain and there were several other teachers at my school. The second year, I was with a privately owned franchise and my boss was a thieving bastard who tries to rip me off on my pension. There was only one other foreign teacher at my school and I got no vacation time. But then, I was teaching in Jeju at the time, so it kinda evened out. I'd go with Avalon again as long as it wasn't a franchise.
bde2

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wurmwood wrote:
I worked for Avalon my first two years. The first year was good because I was part of the corporate chain and there were several other teachers at my school. The second year, I was with a privately owned franchise and my boss was a thieving bastard who tries to rip me off on my pension. There was only one other foreign teacher at my school and I got no vacation time. But then, I was teaching in Jeju at the time, so it kinda evened out. I'd go with Avalon again as long as it wasn't a franchise.

Agreed. Spent 1 year at a franchise Avalon, and it was shady. They had a couple teachers teaching on tourist visas, and immigration happened to drop by... The teachers in question were rushed out the back door, and other foreign teachers were brought into a meeting room and told to keep quiet about it.

Furthermore, they fired a black teacher just 1 month into his contract, because they picked up a new whitey. They also withheld his pay.

I can't speak for the corporate side of Avalon, because that 1 year was more than enough for me. But do be careful about them, as most other posters have said.
wesharris

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakes on an Avalon.
Snakes on a Bus.
carleverson

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite it's fancy marketing and fancy name, it's really just another kiddy hogwon with really low salaries.

Stay away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: