Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Avalon a good wagwon to go with for a newbie?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muanyata

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing.

Last edited by Muanyata on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
dr_feelgood

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for an Avalon in Seongnam. They made up some reasons to fire me in my 11th month such as being late for class, not completing work and being sick without giving notice. When in reality they were losing students and needed to get rid of a teacher. I took them to court and won. Constantly they were firing and replaceing Korean teachers and the people that worked there were generally un-happy and a lot left on their own free-will. Although I think suing someone was a great/cool experience for me, especially in a foreign land. I would not reccomend it to anyone. So stay away from Avalons in the Seongnam area, please. Cool
andrew_e29

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muanyata wrote:
Can't speak for other Avalons but stay away from Daegu Avalon. They are all franchises and owned by the same people. Not a single teacher is renewing at the one I'm at, and they gave most of them 15 hour lay overs on their return flights. They made their replacements live in empty apartments on the floor with no hot water, stove, refrigerator, washing machine, completely empty for 2 weeks. This was to keep them away from the teachers leaving so the new teachers wouldn't ask questions. All the teachers who are leaving are returning to Korea, but to different schools.

They signed all the new teachers on 5 day contracts, when they got here they tried to pressure them to work 6 days. First they pleaded, then tried guilt, then tried threats. Shady as can be.

Just wondering when it was that you worked for them. I have recently been offered a job here. I've been given the contact information of a teacher that works for Avalon in Daegu. However, I'm not sure how much I can trust his experience since the company supplied his information. Am I being scammed or should I believe this individuals experience? As his experience has been quite different to yours.
Muanyata

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing.

Last edited by Muanyata on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
bobbybigfoot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite surprised with all the negative comments about Avalon. I had no idea the kind of reputation the company has earned since going franchise crazy in the past couple of years.

It's seems franchising is what kills alot of hagwons.
malinanicole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to contribute to all the hagwon horror stories, I started at Avalon last month and I was a total newbie. After 2 weeks at Avalon I was dismissed mostly because they had hired too many new foreign teachers. I found another job at a public Elementary school south of Seoul on my own and life is good.
I would have stayed at Avalon even though there were some things I didn't like. It is really not that bad as long as you have what you need and you work hard. They do expect things from newbies that you might not know or be able to do, you just have to stay positive and deal with it. I would have stayed if they hadn't dismissed me.
I would suggest reading up on TESOL if you don't have certification like me, and getting to know some Koreans, I think if you show respect and enthusiasm it will go a long way.
It won't be a piece of cake, but its a job.
Surprised
bobbybigfoot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malinanicole wrote:
I don't really want to contribute to all the hagwon horror stories, I started at Avalon last month and I was a total newbie. After 2 weeks at Avalon I was dismissed mostly because they had hired too many new foreign teachers. I found another job at a public Elementary school south of Seoul on my own and life is good.
I would have stayed at Avalon even though there were some things I didn't like. It is really not that bad as long as you have what you need and you work hard. They do expect things from newbies that you might not know or be able to do, you just have to stay positive and deal with it. I would have stayed if they hadn't dismissed me.
I would suggest reading up on TESOL if you don't have certification like me, and getting to know some Koreans, I think if you show respect and enthusiasm it will go a long way.
Surprised

You seem strangely positive about Avalon considering they royally screwed you over.

It seems Avalon has gone way, way downhill.
Ramen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard some horror stories about the place from two of my friend who worked there. Both ended up leaving mid contract.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on the branch i guess.

I have worked for the Dobong branch for a few years now and for the most part they have been good to me. No issues over payment / housing or anything. All of the managers are pretty nice and the pay is good.

Just check with the teachers that are working at your branch before you go.
malinanicole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbybigfoot wrote:
malinanicole wrote:
Surprised

You seem strangely positive about Avalon considering they royally screwed you over.

It seems Avalon has gone way, way downhill.

I only wanted to say something positive, no use in getting into too much of the negative. yeah I was skrewed but the only thing I could do about it was either find a job or go home. Luckly I found a public school job, if I had posted a week after I was dismissed I would have been too angry and emotional.
thekingofcheap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Depends on the branch Reply with quote

I've been at Avalon for five months and hope I can offer some insight.

Across the board, as a corporation, it is run in typically Korean style: Wasteful of man hours, implenting ill-conceived business ideas, more conscious of its image than the substance behind it, etc. etc. Indeed, Avalon is like the Basil Fawlty of companies -- it tries so hard to project an image of quality that it sacrifices everything else, including quality, to maintain that image.

That said, it depends on the brach you work in. From what I've come to understand, I work for one of the better branches. My school's director and my head teacher are very kind and understanding in most dealings with us foreign teachers. As such, I am able to recognize that the director is only bitchy because she's middle management and has to keep people happy above and below. Other Avalon branches have hardass management who will give you shit for leaving the classroom during a lesson, or who will monitor your computer use for all non-work activity. My branch, in Bundang, is VERY chilled out about those things.

All of my complaints about the company are due to the head office's ridiculous policies and hair-brained moneymaking schemes. For example, my branch has no data backup for its computers. If something were to happen, all the work I save would be lost forever. When this was brought to someone's attention, we suggested they buy an $80 USB hard drive to use as backup for everyone's data (we don't generate THAT much, but it's important). They told us there was no money. What's more alarming? That the 2nd largest hagwon chain the country has no emphasis on data backup, or that they can't find $80 to implement it at one of its branches?

Another thing I find bothersome about this job is the increasing pile of marketing busywork I must do. This includes calling every student on their phone TWICE a semester, taking time out of class each day to shower certain students with encouraging compliments even if they are struggling and/or hate learning English.

It is my opinion that the company is hemorraging money, my branch in particular. Enrollment is way down and there has been an emphasis from the director to be more cost-conscious (turning off computers at the end of the day, picking up our own garbage even though we employ cleaners, providing our own office supplies).

Overall, I'd still say it's one of the better hagwons to work for if only because they still pay more than 2m KRW a month, always on time, and the hours are reasonable. I've heard a lot of horror stories about the near future of hagwon teaching in this country but in spite of Avalon's problems, I mostly feel insulated from the trends affecting other teachers.
Mes Nicholas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Any word on Kwangmyung (Gwangmyeong) Avalon Academy? Reply with quote

Any word on Kwangmyung (Gwangmyeong) Avalon Academy?

I may be offered a job there but so far have heard nothing specific about that one location. I know there's been a lot of negative feedback on Avalon in general but I'm curious if this is any different. I'm interested and would like to go if it is. Any information based on direct experience or through the grapevine would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody outline the positives and negatives about the Avalon academy in Uijeongbu?
Ramen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talk to many teachers working or worked there and they all said they regret ever working there. Razz
allovertheplace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard so so things about Avalon. The pay on time, less funny business thing is nice.
For a newbie Avalon is pretty good though. You will be with at least 4-5 other foreigners which means its easier to have fun and settle in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: