Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you buy with 1.2 million won

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tired of LA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: What would you buy with 1.2 million won Reply with quote

So my school said that I have 1.2 million won to spend on stuff. Not really sure what I need besides books, flashcards and maybe some games. Anyone got any ideas? Keep in mind I do not have my own class, I go to their classrooms. It also has to get approved by the VP, so it has to be justifiable.
Hawkeye Pierce

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you buy with 1.2 million won Reply with quote

tired of LA wrote:
So my school said that I have 1.2 million won to spend on stuff. Not really sure what I need besides books, flashcards and maybe some games. Anyone got any ideas? Keep in mind I do not have my own class, I go to their classrooms. It also has to get approved by the VP, so it has to be justifiable.

I don't know what age group or ability level you are teaching. Personally, I am an immersionist. (I am referring to language acquisition here, not baptism.) Smile I prefer to use brief bits of native language productions in class when possible. Modern youth tend to be more visually stimulated, so cartoons or videos work well. For adult learners I've used audio from old radio shows. Pre-teach some of the vocabulary and then let them watch or listen. They don't need to know every word. They can figure much out from the context. After watching/listening ask questions, then replay. It works well because the kids find it interesting and stimulating. Try to keep them from talking in Korean when watching! The important point is to break the typical Korean language by translation crutch.

So my suggestion is to try to get some good audio or video materials for your class, in addition to games, and any flashcards that you may want. (Really we can make our own flashcards, but making our own videos is much harder, and not usually as good as adapting something which was commercially done.)

So that's my 20 won.
tired of LA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that I teach at a public elementary school and that I follow the national curriculum for the most part. The teachers get nervous when I don't stick to the curriculum, so I'm looking for things to supplement lessons.

Hawkeye, you got any recommendations on any video series?
BoholDiver

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old school had a large TV and some sort of projector thing. You can put down your book or other thing and it showed up on the screen. Incredibly useful if you wish to teach a large group.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dignity back.
lukas

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
My dignity back.

lol

That, or 1.2 million won worth of candy to bribe students into behaving.
ChilgokBlackHole

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An AV cart. Big-ish monitor, DVD player, VHS, laptop (netbook), speakers, something I can move from room to room and not have to deal with anyone else's tech.
tired of LA

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoholDiver wrote:
My old school had a large TV and some sort of projector thing. You can put down your book or other thing and it showed up on the screen. Incredibly useful if you wish to teach a large group.

I know what you're talking about, but all the classrooms have one hooked up to the tv already.

ChilgokBlackHole wrote:
An AV cart. Big-ish monitor, DVD player, VHS, laptop (netbook), speakers, something I can move from room to room and not have to deal with anyone else's tech.

Not a bad idea, but not practical at my school. I teach classes on three different floors, and I don't think an av cart would fit in the dumbwaiter. I like the idea of a computer though, since I probably have the oldest computer in the school.
AsiaESLbound

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realize that what you see as beneficial your co-teachers may not so I would have a talk with them about it. Reason why I say this is my co-teacher spent this money without even talking to me where she orders big boxes of pre-school and kindergarten story books from America that we don't use nor teach that level. They are too boring for 4th, 5th, and 6th graders to use (or insulting as they are not that stupid) and we use curriculum anyhow. My little office room becomes the English library of 4 and 5 year old's books. This gives the kids a license to blast in there and scream, "Hi!!!," and any precious time I'm sitting in there doing a lesson plan and researching after school class possibilities is blown which is all in the afternoon when they seem to have some free time. She also bought 2, "Touch and Play," electronic vocabulary building boards and had a man drill holes in the wall to install them. So much for a quiet time to think about it all.

Now this is no way I would had spent 1.2 million won. I would had gotten a TV and desks and chairs to make that small room an after school classroom for up to 12 students. And also would had bought more flashcards and miscelaneous supplement materials. Now one of my co-teacher's class is sitting on the floor and using my computer and it's small CRT monitor for her after school class in there while I teach mine in the big classroom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: