Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you regret NOT bringing to Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

There's really one single answer to this with broad implications:

A flat sheet and a fitted sheet. Go for the biggest size you can get cuz you can always stuff extra. Splurge before you come. Go for the microfibre.

You WILL have to buy whole bedding sets. In a cruel version of class warfare, ALL cheap bedding will be hideously decorated and it may not even have a flat sheet anyway.

Then, after years, you return home to find almost the same thing.

Alternatively, go on vacation to Thailand and use tapestries for this purpose.
15 bucks tops. After your experience, no one needs to know you used them for bedding.
brauggi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meaghan wrote:
Natracare (a german brand) tampons are available in some Homepluses,

Oh, thank goodness, that's my brand. I figured there was no way i'd be lucky enough to be able to find something that obscure. i leave in 5 weeks and really didn't want to spend all that suitcase space for a year's supply.
Thanks for the tip!
Canonite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard are men's size 10 shoes to find? I guess I'd be a 10 Wide...I generally wear Airwalks. Can you get Airwalks there or should I bring a few pairs from home?

Is deodorant still an issue? (I'll be hopefully moving to Changwon). And is it just stick/gel deodorant or body spray as well that's hard to find? (I find the body spray lasts me 10x as long as the gels, and most sticks irritate me...)...so if body spray is available widely, then I'm cool...if not, I'll bring a few bottles.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canonite wrote:
How hard are men's size 10 shoes to find? I guess I'd be a 10 Wide...I generally wear Airwalks. Can you get Airwalks there or should I bring a few pairs from home?

Is deodorant still an issue? (I'll be hopefully moving to Changwon). And is it just stick/gel deodorant or body spray as well that's hard to find? (I find the body spray lasts me 10x as long as the gels, and most sticks irritate me...)...so if body spray is available widely, then I'm cool...if not, I'll bring a few bottles.

Im a size 10. I find shoes. Go for western brands. Nike, New Balance, etc. Underarm deodorant is still tricky. In the summer, it's sold but a little overpriced - a little, not a lot. Finding foriegn stores or underground markets will allow you to buy these. Maybe 8000 won seems to be the average. If you're picky about brands, just bring 7 or 8 sticks over for yourself to last most of the year until you know where to go.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob'sdad wrote:
I wish I'd brought my college girlfriend to save me from the torture that I endure everyday from my Korean wife.

Ha ha ha. Damn funniest thing I've read in a long time.
bigfourie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not enough winter clothes, this place is 50C less in winter than my previous place of employment

also more slops (flip flops) havent seen any nice ones here Sad
FaceFaceFace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but wax strips for home waxing.

I have seen them around, but they have all been one brand (Veet) and really expensive compared to back home.

I am yet to find a place to get waxed (not that I do it all the time anyway) and having wax strips at home is always handy for those in between times.

As for lotions and beauty products...I am really enjoying exploring what Korea has to offer on this front. They are famous for their beauty products and unless you are locked on a certain brand then give it a go with the local products is my suggestion! Smile
angiegoes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fitted sheets (2 of them because it can take days for washed sheets to dry...)

bras (I'm pretty small but the sizing is different here and nothing fits just right)

tampons

feather pillow (I have never found a soft fluffy pillow in korea)

stove top espresso maker (can find... but not good quality and expensive)

bikini (this is changing, but for a while you either couldn't find them at all, or they had skirts attached)

light brown hair dye (it's all dark dark black and made from squid ink, you can get it done at the shop, but the hairdressers are used to bleaching hair before going lighter, so you are kinda taking a risk)

size 8.5/9 heels, 250 only works for flats

northface jackets haha they cost twice as much here
K1020

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: my list Reply with quote

I'm on my way out in a few weeks. I have read through the thread. . .
Here's what I'm thinking:
- Vac. packed coffee and spices, (I work in a restauraunt with a vac packer so I can make my own packages)
- Yerba Matte (S. American tea)
- shoes/ boots, I'm 6'5 and wear a US 12 generally.
- Coffee percolator and stove top espresso maker
- small laptop
- magic bullet style mini blender
- Deodorant for at least 6 months
- Underwear, socks (what about pants and shirts for a tall slim guy?)
- Condoms
- a couple of months of toiletries for while I get my bearings on where to shop
- a few sheets and one large towel
- Prescription medication for a couple of months
- Books I can't find there (English book availability? I read a lot of theory and criticism so I'm guessing maybe through the University book stores?)

Anything I'm missing that jumps out? Anything seem absurd?
-Cheers!
Tarztastic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="OiGirl"]
Mr. Pink wrote:
OiGirl wrote:
I am getting used to Korea, and so usually bring what I need. But recently I wish I had brought:
-Vitamin C, a big bottle of chewable or timed-release
-more deodorant, about 1 stick/month
-more clothes

Oi!

You can get deordorant and Vitamin C in country. (Itaewon black market or Namdaemoon market)

Just a little more $$$ but WAY cheaper than buying online and having it shipped over.

I know, but I was desperate and ended up paying W26,000 for deodorant. While it is DAMN fine deodorant, I would rather bring an adequate supply with me.

Now you have been there a while is it really true you cant buy cheap deodorant? What do they use? Sounds crazy to have to bring 12 sticks of deodorant with you.
Daithi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of quick questions for those in Seoul,
I've quite a limited amount of weight left i can pack so if unless we're talking about a 100% mark up on products i will just buy them there.

1.)How much does it cost to buy good roll on deodorant in Seoul now?

2.)The same goes with good towels, is it still difficult to get good soft big towels there at a reasonable price?

3.)I'm 5'10" so are general clothes like t-shirts, shirts(15.5 neck) and jeans (32-34 waist 30-32 leg) easy to get?

I've bought size 10 Shoes/runners, electric razor,boxers,socks,4 shirts and a box of Lyons Tea.

4.)Is there any other necessity that i'm missing that'll be difficult to get ?

I really want to pack as light as possible and most stuff i've to buy new here before i move anyway. So the more i can buy there when i'm flush with cash the better.
angiegoes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K1020- double check it your magic bullet will work with korean voltage/outlet type?
about books- bring a Kindle.
vlhuynh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daithi wrote:
Just a couple of quick questions for those in Seoul,
I've quite a limited amount of weight left i can pack so if unless we're talking about a 100% mark up on products i will just buy them there.

1.)How much does it cost to buy good roll on deodorant in Seoul now?

2.)The same goes with good towels, is it still difficult to get good soft big towels there at a reasonable price?

3.)I'm 5'10" so are general clothes like t-shirts, shirts(15.5 neck) and jeans (32-34 waist 30-32 leg) easy to get?

I've bought size 10 Shoes/runners, electric razor,boxers,socks,4 shirts and a box of Lyons Tea.

4.)Is there any other necessity that i'm missing that'll be difficult to get ?

I really want to pack as light as possible and most stuff i've to buy new here before i move anyway. So the more i can buy there when i'm flush with cash the better.

Towels are easy to get. I haven't really paid attention to deodorant around here since I brought enough to last me the year. Shirts and jeans of that size are pretty common. There's actually a lot of tall Korean guys that are like, ~6'3" so it's not that big of a problem.
elltotheoh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: my list Reply with quote

K1020 wrote:
- Vac. packed coffee and spices, (I work in a restauraunt with a vac packer so I can make my own packages)
- small laptop
- Condoms
- Books I can't find there (English book availability? I read a lot of theory and criticism so I'm guessing maybe through the University book stores?)

-Cheers!

Kyobo has an alright selection of English books, and What the Book in Itaewon is also pretty good. If you are not in the heart of Seoul, a Kindle might be a good investment before you leave. I love mine to pieces.
elltotheoh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: my list Reply with quote

K1020 wrote:
- small laptop
- Condoms

-Cheers!

Kyobo has an alright selection of English books, and What the Book in Itaewon is also pretty good. If you are not in the heart of Seoul, a Kindle might be a good investment before you leave. I love mine to pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: