Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you regret NOT bringing to Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kattaylor31

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heading to Seoul in a couple of weeks so I'm starting to consider what to pack.

I'm planning on taking enough deodorant to last me the entire time. I'm so glad someone mentioned bringing a power strip. I saw a light weight travel sized power strip at walmart in case anyone else was looking for one.

Oh and I found a spice travel kit at World Market. It has 20 (I think) of the most common spices in a small travel size kit. I figured that would come in handy for a lot of people!

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good voltage converter. I'm taking my own hair dryer, flat iron, and curler. I don't want them to die the minute I plug them in. Are they very heavy? Should I just get one in the airport when I land?

EDIT:
Ok, so I just looked at my hair dryer and I will not be bringing that! It's 1850watts and the converter for that is 24lbs lol.
My flat iron is 120v ac and 280 watts. That's reasonable from what I understand.
Sus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Various sizes of PANTS Reply with quote

You think it's funny? Well, I live in a moderate climate, and in Korea, I have found I gain/lose weight according to weather conditions. In the winter, I can't fit into my pants! Also, Koreans just some in smaller sizes. So yeah, pants and shoes.
Dwenjoen88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i first came i regretted not bringing a laptop. Eventually I bought one from bestbuy at about a 70% discount of what I could get in in Korea for. There's definitely a lot of great deals on computers here, but having it all English ready with legal software makes it easier for some to buy it back home.

And if your like me (tall)...clothes are impossible to buy here. Been here many years and about the only place where I can get clothes that fit me is Zara (if i'm lucky)
chasmmi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bread!!!

A Year's Supply of Bread!

Oh.. and some as yet unevented machine that can keep 10 month old bread tasting like freshly baked bread.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigfourie wrote:
not enough winter clothes, this place is 50C less in winter than my previous place of employment

also more slops (flip flops) havent seen any nice ones here Sad

LL Bean ships to Korea. Also, sometimes in fall and winter you may find things randomly at Costco. You will need to stock up when you go home next. I had to do that. First time not prepared. Second time - watch out! Never been cold since. Ha ha. Anyways, look for items with thinsulate, polartec, or read the comfort ratings for boots on their website. www.llbean.com Just give your work address if you ship anything over. Over 150,000 in value (excluding shipping costs) you will have to pay some duty. But it's no more than anything overpriced here.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kattaylor31 wrote:
I'm heading to Seoul in a couple of weeks so I'm starting to consider what to pack.

I'm planning on taking enough deodorant to last me the entire time. I'm so glad someone mentioned bringing a power strip. I saw a light weight travel sized power strip at walmart in case anyone else was looking for one.

Oh and I found a spice travel kit at World Market. It has 20 (I think) of the most common spices in a small travel size kit. I figured that would come in handy for a lot of people!

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good voltage converter. I'm taking my own hair dryer, flat iron, and curler. I don't want them to die the minute I plug them in. Are they very heavy? Should I just get one in the airport when I land?

EDIT:
Ok, so I just looked at my hair dryer and I will not be bringing that! It's 1850watts and the converter for that is 24lbs lol.
My flat iron is 120v ac and 280 watts. That's reasonable from what I understand.

Probably too late but just go to Radio Shack and get a convertor. Ask the rep and read the packaging. I bought one a few years ago. I bought the more expensive one just to be on the safe side. But it wasn't one of those large clunky industrial sized ones. It was reasonably small and it converted 220V down to 120V. Some newer appliances may have their own conversion so you'll just need a small plug to fit over yours. Check your device to see. FOr example I went to America for a visit a couple of years ago and bought a shaver. It had a large plug and was designed for accepting anything from 100 V to 240V. I just bought a plug cover at radio shack and it was all I needed. But my old shaver actually required the full on voltage convertor.
piskeydoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they have chirasha?
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely regret not bringing lots of Marmite, as it costs a fortune over here.
underworld9202

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info everyone, being a sun deprived Welshman I am currently raiding every Asda in my area for deodorant (half price on my favourite brand!). At this rate I could have my own black market lol
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i regret not bringing a chinese restaraunt from brooklyn...
rdb13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dried beans - garbanzo, black
quinoa
jennad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--My favorite teas from home (Good Earth, English Breakfast--basically anything other than green tea is hard to find/expensive)

--Another few tubes of toothpaste

--Sinus relief medication and cold meds

--Chewing gum! I always had my mom send this to me. Their gum tastes like medicine and is terrible.

--A few more adapters (not converters) which were impossible to find anywhere in Bundang

And I will just say that sex shops are outrageously expensive in Seoul, or at least, the single store that I managed to find was. That is all on that topic...
helloecho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for reminding me about tea, jennad. I'm definitely going to pack some peppermint tea now.

do i need power converters? i have the adapters that make the prongs into 2 round ones. i have a macbook. if i charge it with the voltage in korea it will be fine right? i just don't want to get there and murder my laptop accidentally or something. (i am american)
zenger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennad wrote:
And I will just say that sex shops are outrageously expensive in Seoul, or at least, the single store that I managed to find was. That is all on that topic...

lil more on this Wink
padme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
i regret not bringing a chinese restaraunt from brooklyn...

There's a pretty good chinese restaurant in Sanbon which serves awesome crab fried rice (back in Canada we call it 'special house fried rice' haha). It's called "Bugye", and it is close to wonkwang university hospital, on the second floor. Another good one is in Yangjae and it's a little pricey but their dimsum is awesome. The name is (wait for it...............................) BRUCE LEE NOODLES hahaha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: