Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you regret NOT bringing to Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
padme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennad wrote:

--Another few tubes of toothpaste

--Sinus relief medication and cold meds

--Chewing gum! I always had my mom send this to me. Their gum tastes like medicine and is terrible.

--A few more adapters (not converters) which were impossible to find anywhere in Bundang

You can get universal adapters at E-mart, and Otrivin (nasal spray) and cold medicine ("gamgi yak" in Korean) at local pharmacies. I do recommend bringing Vicks though haha. Hope this helps~

You're right about the gum and toothpaste too haha.
jennad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helloecho wrote:
thanks for reminding me about tea, jennad. I'm definitely going to pack some peppermint tea now.

do i need power converters? i have the adapters that make the prongs into 2 round ones. i have a macbook. if i charge it with the voltage in korea it will be fine right? i just don't want to get there and murder my laptop accidentally or something. (i am american)

You will only need power converters for appliances that are not dual voltage. Check the plugs/batteries of your appliances and it should tell you. I brought my macbook as well and had checked beforehand, so I knew that I did not need a converter. If fact, if you use a converter with appliances that don't require it, you will ruin them.

My macbook and ipod speakers didn't need a converter, just an adapter. Any hair appliances will require a converter, though, and even then there is a good chance they will get fried. Luckily a friend that was leaving gave me her transformer box(def don't want to bring that with you because they are about 15 pounds haha) so I could use my curling iron and hair straightener with no problems. Hope that helps!
jennad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme wrote:
jennad wrote:

--Another few tubes of toothpaste

--Sinus relief medication and cold meds

--Chewing gum! I always had my mom send this to me. Their gum tastes like medicine and is terrible.

--A few more adapters (not converters) which were impossible to find anywhere in Bundang

You can get universal adapters at E-mart, and Otrivin (nasal spray) and cold medicine ("gamgi yak" in Korean) at local pharmacies. I do recommend bringing Vicks though haha. Hope this helps~

You're right about the gum and toothpaste too haha.

Yeah, you can find cold meds at the pharmacies there, but they always made me feel so weird and drugged. I just prefer stuff from home. I also rely heavily on my sinus rinse thing (similar to the neti pot) so I brought that with me with a ton of the sinus rinse packets needed in order to use it. Is that similar to the Otrivin?
jennad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I'm not sure if anyone already mentioned this, but I would bring a good supply of condoms, because the ones I bought in Korea were terrible and ironically smaller than the average U.S. condom (possibly just the one brand I bought, not sure). Either way, if I was going back I would def. bring my own.
padme

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also rely heavily on my sinus rinse thing (similar to the neti pot) so I brought that with me with a ton of the sinus rinse packets needed in order to use it. Is that similar to the Otrivin?[/quote]

I actually don't use Otrivin myself (my boyfriend does and he just sprays it into his nostrils to clear them up when he can't breathe easily). After two quick sprays he's able to go to sleep with clear nasal passages. I don't think it lasts very long though (I mean, it's more of a quick fix). If you have a serious problem, Otrivin might not be strong enough for you... If you want to try it though it's less than 6000 won per bottle.

Good luck to you~
padme

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh....instant mashed potatoes haha! And oatmeal ^^
mauihorsegal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: An idea Reply with quote

I'm just a "wannabe" right now but re deoderant, I live in Hawaii and have used the same 1 crystal in a roll-up package for 5 years now. With hot flashes. Might save you some room. The one from the health food stores; don't know if it's an antiperspirant but works great for b.o. Hey, is it possible to bring pets? My cat and dog are holding me back. Question
Aloha, mauigal
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennad wrote:
Oh, and I'm not sure if anyone already mentioned this, but I would bring a good supply of condoms, because the ones I bought in Korea were terrible and ironically smaller than the average U.S. condom (possibly just the one brand I bought, not sure). Either way, if I was going back I would def. bring my own.

You can buy normal-size ones online, with free delivery. I can't remember the site but it's a good one. The rubbers are decent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: