Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you regret NOT bringing to Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umpittse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big bath towels. I've only been able to find small bath towels.
bassist33

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the general sense I get is to bring deodorant, big towels, and underwear. Everything else seems to be a matter of personal taste. I see girls continually mentioning shoes. Do any guys here seem to have any problems finding shoes in your size. I wear an 11 so I'm assuming I would be ok. I would probably order some shoes from Zappos anyway.
climber159

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deodorant is making its way onto the shelves in Korea. It's also widely available in the black market shops of Itaewon and the import markets in Namdaemun. But, it's still cheaper in your home country.

Big towels isn't an issue any more. Regular bath towels and large beach towels can be found in the large markets, and in E-mart, Lotte Mart, and the other big-box discount department stores. I'd bring one towel with you and save room for other things.

You're a shoe size 11? You'll have some difficulty finding shoes, but not too bad. I'd bring over what you think you'll want for the year. If you order from Zappos you'll get hit with import fees unless you have a military buddy you lets you ship to his/her APO address.

If you like to cook, I'd bring a set of spices along. The basics can be found here but they're expensive.

If you're going to be in the Seoul area most anything you might need or want is obtainable. There's not really much need to stress over what you need to bring.
Chambertin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the thread is living again.
I regretted not bringing hand lotion to Japan. It was available but not the nice smooth kind required for when you are single. Or your partner is temporarily unavailable.
How�s Korean hand lotion?
nangulo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Danza's Houseguest wrote:
I was given a whole shopping bag full of candy--Reese's, Butterfingers, Hershey's bars, etc. I felt like it weighed too much, so I left it at home. Big mistake. It is rare to find a peanut butter cup in Korea.

Defenitly Reeses Peanut butter cups (I brought some with me the second time around) and my preferred brand of deodorant.
nangulo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassist33 wrote:
So the general sense I get is to bring deodorant, big towels, and underwear. Everything else seems to be a matter of personal taste. I see girls continually mentioning shoes. Do any guys here seem to have any problems finding shoes in your size. I wear an 11 so I'm assuming I would be ok. I would probably order some shoes from Zappos anyway.

I wear a woman's size 9 or 10 and you can hardly find anything larger than a 6. I think you might find it hard to find men's size 11 too.Maybe in Itaewon, but not many other places.
redone336

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: shoes Reply with quote

so it could be difficult to find size 8 womens shoes even in Seoul? I must know if I will need to feed my addiction through alternative sources....
nangulo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Shoes Reply with quote

Not sure about Seoul, I just know I have trouble finding size nines and tens at the stores like E-Mart. Not sure about size eights, you may be ok for some shoes, but maybe not a lot.
winterfall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Shoes Reply with quote

nangulo wrote:
Not sure about Seoul, I just know I have trouble finding size nines and tens at the stores like E-Mart. Not sure about size eights, you may be ok for some shoes, but maybe not a lot.

Wow that's really not good for me. I'm a size 11-12 Wide. Depending on which brand it is. Worst thing about moving to another country. Is all the expenses of buying crap.
nangulo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yerah, most things aren't too expensive, the real pain is bringing all the stuff that you need but you know you won't be able to find over here.
Atramentous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For women - After reading the thread is Deodorant and shoes.
What brads of personal care products are available on the shelves of Korean shops? Shampoo, body lotion, face lotion, body wash are the sort of thing that I am wondering about. I would rather buy the stuff when I get to SK than lug it on the plane.
Chambertin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the general stuff, shampoo etc. its pretty well the same. Pantene, Vaseline had lotion (yay), and the rest.
As a general rule your bathroom is covered unless you want some specific top end brand.

Plus everyone warns about deoderant, so thats a consideration.
P.S. I'm a guy so my top end and your top end could be different.
Atramentous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chambertin.

Pantene and Vaseline brand would do the trick. I was just wondering about that sort of stuff. I knew that I would be mildly confused about branding upon arrival so it is nice to know that I can grab a bottle of shampoo that I recognize upon arrival. Certainly will save on the weight allowances for baggage.
Chambertin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah its pretty darn easy here if your not really brand conscious. See something you recognize in the section and grab. Prices are competitive.

Also, do what I do, look for a brand name and then grab the cheapest similar item in the section. 1 out of 10 you grab the wrong one, but thats learning. The other 9 times you find at least on par and 4 out of 10 you find something you like better.

I know in Japan I fell back in love with good roll on deodorant. Sucks they don�t have it here (that I know of).

J&J, P&G, and a couple other companies have a major presence in Asia, but not all of the brand names made it over. So in the end they have the same products we are use to, the problem is finding them if the name changed.

When these companies tried to break into the market they failed, the smart ones changed the message to fit the consumer.
A good example is a tide billboard that had [dirty cloths --- Tide --- clean cloths] Problem is they read right to left traditionally and that nationwide campaign just told everyone that Tide makes your cloths dirty. Can you say Name change�
Tide sure did.
farfromhome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atramentous wrote:
For women - After reading the thread is Deodorant and shoes.
What brads of personal care products are available on the shelves of Korean shops? Shampoo, body lotion, face lotion, body wash are the sort of thing that I am wondering about. I would rather buy the stuff when I get to SK than lug it on the plane.

what size shoe do you wear? since ive been in seoul (more than 5 years), ive noticed that the shoes are being sold in larger sizes. i wear a korean "225" (us 5, eu 35), and it is becoming increasingly difficult to find. 225 was the smallest size made for every model but after talking to many a shoe vendor, ive been told that 230 (us 5.5/6, eu 36/37?) is the new smallest size for women. i havent read the entire thread so i apologize if youve already answered the question, but as long as you wear between a us 6 and 9/10? (korean 245/250 - im not sure how that converts), youll be fine.

as for non-korean, non-luxury brands that can definitely be found in any supermarket or drugstore (off the top of my head):

shampoo - head & shoulders, johnson & johnson, dove, nivea, herbal essences, pantene

deodorant - dove, nivea

body/face lotion and body/face wash - johnson & johnson (all baby and mostly the clean & clear line), dove, nivea, neutrogena (most of the same products that are found in the us like that orange oil-free acne cleanser in a pump, deep clean cream cleanser, moisturizers), aveeno, ivory, dial

oral: arm & hammer toothpaste (all types, including the whitening one), listerine

the body shop is all over the city. chain drugstores like "olive young" and "watsons" sell dr bronners, tigi, burts bees, vichy and avene, and ive seen a few yves rocher stores recently. korean near equivalents to yves rocher would be "the face shop," "skin food," "missha"

unless youre extremely sensitive or picky, dont bother with the toiletries. i would bring shoes (if you have large feet), clothes (if you are bigger than what is currently being sold as a "medium" at gap, which by the way, is here) and food. definitely food. not the basics, obviously, but any favorite sweets, sauces/spices and if youre an organic/health food nut, things like quinoa and muesli.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: