Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it legal to teach without a degree?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
rapier wrote:
They demean the whole teaching profesion. I don't like the feeling that some jerk comes out here and gets paid the same as me, without even having bothered to get a degree...

You have a teaching degree? Because, technically, anyone "teaching" here without a teaching degree could be accused of demeaning the whole profession.

Maybe, but in a hagwon our Korean counterparts have no more than a first degree anyway. Your point may be more applicable to those teaching at universities.

Last edited by Gwangjuboy on Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:52 am; edited 3 times in total
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratslash wrote:
again, i stress the point that i have made previously, come down off your "i have a degree pedestal", because, believe it or not, having a degree does not mean that you are any better in a classroom than those without a degree.

No it doesn't. But, those who have undergone higher education are more likely to do a better job. Plus, noone with a degree is putting themselves on a pedestal. Someone with a degree points out that it is illegal to teach in Korea without one, and you claim they are being pompous.
Teeq

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had read an article on the internet a little while ago stating that 1 out of 3 teachers in thailand are teaching using fake degrees. To me this is believable because how would the university know if the degree is original or not, and I doubt they would go to the troube of checking with an american or english university whether it is or not.
However I didnt think it would be so easy in Korea as its immigration that you have to get the fake degree through... but I guess its probably the same there in that immigration wouldnt know the difference and prob wouldnt bother checking with an overseas university.
ahram04

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey is it possible to teach in korea if you have a F-4 visa but no degree? i've been researching and i think a degree is mainly required by the imm to get the E-2 visa and that with a F-4 visa you can work like a regular korean. is it possible to work in a public school or hawgon with no degree? and if i got a tesol cert will it help my chances of getting a job? thanks!
Teeq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats a F4 visa and how do are you eligible to get one?
BrothaJeff

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if I've done 4 years of University?
1 year in Fine Arts,
2 years in Commercial Animation. I got my Diploma from that.
1 year in 3D Animation. I got a certificate form that.

I've done 4 years of education. I don't have a degree. If I did get a degree from all that, it wouldn't matter. I still wasn't trained how to teach....

But my best friend, who is Korean, offered me his job. He runs a little school with his mom in Korea. He wants me to take over for him while he finishes school. I am a little worried about it. I can't get a Visa... But I really want to help my closest friend and there family.... Its to bad all that education I did wont do a thing to help me, without a degree...
BrothaJeff

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my* best friend. Sorry I couldn't edit the post.
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can teach with an associate's degree, or even vocational school certificate.

http://theblackeslteacher.blogspot.com/2008/07/no-degree.html
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mods you may delete.
Vsusanmoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: TALK program- two years of university required Reply with quote

I have been in korea for over 7 months now and i am with TALK that is Teach and learn in Korea. This program is exactly the same as EPIK only with a few differences such as pay, working hours, sick and vacation days. You don't need a degree to do this but at least two years of college experience.

If your a korean american the two year uni experience can slide. I know quite discriminating right? But thats korea for you.

This a a government run program. It is still very young only about 3 year or 4 years old that is why many havent heard of it yet.

For more info check the website out .

Some added info
- there are more korean americans in this program
- if you do this program you will only get sent to rural places.
- your orientation is a month long
- your maximum years of teaching in korea is 2

Last edited by Vsusanmoon on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Vsusanmoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Teach-and-Learn-in-Korea/13463644862

TALK teach and learn in Korea
aschmies

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: e2 Reply with quote

I think it's impossible to get an E2, but once youre in Korea, i'm sure you could privately tutor someone.. it just isn't official (aka private) i would imagine if you make a friend and work out something between you two, then that is a different situation.
ChicotJk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: F4 Reply with quote

From various sources online, I've come to the conclusion that many F4 visa holders are used as part time teachers. Though they may be given full time hours and pay, they are considered "part time" by the Hakwon. Aparently hakwons have to jump through a bunch of hoops for the Ministery of Education each time they register a new teacher, which also also results in having to deal with extra taxes and what not. According to what I read it's quite difficult to catch these "part-timers" since they are not technically on file with the school, and difficult to prove whether they actually work there or not. I don't know if that's helpful but it's what I read. It's mostly hearsay, a bunch of online "he said, she said", Anyway Ratslash, could you pm me with your email, I wanted to ask you something, and since I can't pm with this account, I'd appreciate it, if you could contact me. K thanks!
In_Exile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that is true, Ive heard so many things I dont know what to believe anymore
Tschingu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratslash wrote:
impossible to teach without a degree. or is it? pm ratslash, myself, and he'll give u the lowdown on working and teaching illegally in korea.

Could you please write me an email?
minu566-kon(at)yahoo.de
I really would like to know more, but don't have enough posts to use the private messages on this forum.

I am going to live with my girlfriend in Seoul soon. I would love to teach English (or German) but don't have an English university degree. I would appreciate a private chat with you a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: