Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original diploma or notarized copy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keguri

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Original diploma or notarized copy? Reply with quote

I just received an e-mail from the school I will start working for at the end of this month. They told me there is a new immigration law that says I must send them my original diploma, and that a notarized copy is not acceptable. Does anyone know whether this is true? I will not mail anyone my original diploma -- what are my alternatives then?
Gord

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your only other option would be to fly to Korea with your original degree and hand deliver it to Immigration yourself with your application for a work visa from the school.
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of the law, and find it a bit hard to believe. But then, I'm not nearly as much of a legal expert as some others on the board. Where's the Whiner when you need him? See mods, he serves a purpose...
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm,
I arrived only a few months ago with a notarised degree and it was fine... my degree did go on a 600km trip but it was through registered post in New Zealand. I haven't heard/or seen anything about a law change but others might be able elaborate.

CLG
keguri

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I too find it very hard to believe. A couple of months ago, I accepted a job with another school in Buchon, and was scheduled to begin May 1. The "Program Director" kept giving me the run-around, delaying my arrival more and more. At the last minute, he said they didn't need me because the school didn't have enough students. It's a long, interesting story, but to get to the point, he became very rude with me and is surely not going to return the notarized diploma, transcripts, and photos that I sent him. I shudder to think what I'd have to go through now had I sent him my original diploma. I guess I'd have to wait for my university to send me a new copy, which could take weeks or even months. Meanwhile, I wouldn't be able to get another job, and there's no telling what the Buchon school might have done with my diploma (perhaps sell it?).
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The options are original diploma or copies notorized by a Korean Consulate. You can't get them notarized at any old lawyers shop - must by from a consulate/embassy. So, if you are in Korea and don't have any notarized copies you need the original.
keguri

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The options are original diploma or copies notorized by a Korean Consulate.

Yes, I thought that these were the options. However, my school is saying that Immigration no longer accepts the copies notarized by the Korean Consulate. I have a copy notarized by the Korean Consulate in Boston and want to send it to them, but they told me the *only* option is to send the original.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: as for me. . . Reply with quote

I'm on my fourth piece of paper. My first degree was lost by my first hagwon. I sacrificed my second degree to a midnight run (probably still being held hostage). My third degree just plain old went missing.

It's not that difficult getting a new one from your university. It's really only a thick piece of paper with a seal, so don't sweat too much about it.
keguri

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not that difficult getting a new one from your university. It's really only a thick piece of paper with a seal, so don't sweat too much about it.

Actually, I found out that you have to pay money to get a new diploma, and it takes about 2 months to get it. So yes, it can be done, but if you need it in order to get a job and you're working with a short time frame, then you could have big problems. And besides that, it's a little creepy to think that some school in Korea has your diploma and refuses to give it back for whatever reason.

I have written an e-mail to the Immigration office, and I am waiting to hear whether or not they say it is in fact a new rule. My Korean friend is also going to call them Monday morning and ask them in Korean. I'll be sure to post the answer when I find out.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They cost me 50 bucks apiece (Canadian, so that's about a buck fifty American).

2 months! Holy crap! Got each one of mine within a week, and that includes the time it took to get them to Korea.

I guess there's something to be said for attending a schleprock university like I did.
keguri

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have obtained some information:

First, I called my University in Florida. In order to get another copy of my diploma, I just have to fax them a request. There is no cost, but it takes 3 to 4 months to get it, and I can only request one copy. This means that if I mail my original diploma to my employer-to-be in Korea today, and they decide they don't want to hire me and for whatever reason refuse to give back the diploma, I will have to wait 3 to 4 months before I can start the process of getting another job overseas.

Next, I called the Korean Consulate in Atlanta (the closest one to me). The woman I talked to said she never heard of this alleged new rule that Immigration will only accept an original copy of the diploma. I'm sure if this were a new rule, the Consulate would have to know about it, because it would be pointless for them to certify diplomas with this new rule in effect.

And yesterday, I got an e-mail response back from a man at "[email protected]." He too was unfamiliar with the new rule. He suggested that I contact my nearest Korean Embassy and ask them about it, because "it seems unusual what the Korean employer is saying to [me]." He went on to recommend that I not be in a rush to jump into anything, lest I enter into a contract that I wish I could get out of later.

So there you have it. I hope that all of you out there will be very cautious if your employers to tell you that you have to give them your original documents, passports, etc. There is no guarantee that you will get these items back. Don't trust anyone just because they seem nice. EVERYONE seems nice at first!
keguri

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lo and behold... the school called me today and said they were so sorry, they had gotten some misinformation from Immigration. I do not have to send my original after all.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this concerning notarized copies of a degree:

The original university degree must be sent to the Korean consulate to get the notarized copy of the degree. It can be mailed or given in person to the nearest Korean consulate. The Korean Consulate will stamp the copied degree certificate with their official seal, verifying the authenticity of the diploma.
These Required documents are handled a little bit differently whether you send them by mail or go yourself to the Consulate:

Requirements by mail:
1 Resume
2 Letter requesting the degree confirmation (notarized degree)
3 Original and two photocopies of your university degree
4 Fee for degree confirmation (money order payable to the Korean Consulate General)
You should call the Consulate to check the exact fee before going there
5 A copy of the picture page in your passport (2 forms of Identification)
6 Self-Stamped Envelope (if requesting return in mail)

Requirements in person:
1 Resume
2 Original university degree
3 Forms of Identification (Passport, Driver's License, Etc.)
4 Degree Confirmation Fee (Notarized Diploma)
Alyallen

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add my experience getting my diploma notarized.

I needed:
*A copy of my passport
*My passport
*Photocopies of diploma to be notarized and given to me plus 1 copy for the consulate to keep
*My original diploma

I'm in the United States. I went to the Korean Consulate General in Manhattan. I graduated from college in Vermont. I arrived at the Consulate General and was told that they couldn't notarize my diploma because Vermont (where my diploma is from) does not fall under their jurisdiction. I was supposed to mail it Boston. Luckily for me, the woman I talked to took pity on me and notarized my diplomas there.

I guess the moral of the story is to call the Consulate and find out what states fall under their jurisdiction.

*I did call the consulate but I didn't think to ask such a question. I didn't tihnk it was necessary.

ok...so my story is done. I hope I helped someone....

AlyAllen
Alyallen

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alyallen wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add my experience getting my diploma notarized.

I needed:
*A copy of the information portion of my passport
*My passport
*Photocopies of diploma to be notarized and given to me plus 1 copy for the consulate to keep
*My original diploma

I'm in the United States. I went to the Korean Consulate General in Manhattan. I graduated from college in Vermont. I arrived at the Consulate General and was told that they couldn't notarize my diploma because Vermont (where my diploma is from) does not fall under their jurisdiction. I was supposed to mail it Boston. Luckily for me, the woman I talked to took pity on me and notarized my diplomas there.

I guess the moral of the story is to call the Consulate and find out what states fall under their jurisdiction.

*I did call the consulate but I didn't think to ask such a question. I didn't tihnk it was necessary.

ok...so my story is done. I hope I helped someone....

AlyAllen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: