Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-2 vs F-4 Visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t1m1ty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLeeTeach wrote:
t1m1ty wrote:
Are we allowed to get F4 visas instead of E2 visas if were going to Korea with SMOE? I was told only I am supposed to get the E2

I have my F4 and going through the SMOE process. Do they know you are F4 eligible? I don't see why they wouldn't want you to get your F4 since it's so much less of a burden on them if you (e.g. they don't have to sponsor you).

I'm not sure. Was I supposed to let them know? They know I am an ethnic Korean. I sent in my documents and signed my contract. I'm just waiting for my NOA with the visa information. If I could, I would totally apply for the F4 instead of the E2
chonga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father is American and I was born an American citizen in Korea but my mother is Korean. So since I was never a Korean citizen I'm guessing I can just head to the consulate and take my mother with me to get an F-4?

I'm going Wednesday so if anybody knows otherwise, I'm going to try and see if I can do this in one shot.

I know my situation is unique being that I was born on Korean soil as an American citizen and never on my mother's registry, but if anyone has any insight before I take a 2.5 hour drive to the consulate I'd appreciate it.
iisabrane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should definitely call ahead and ask them questions before driving 2.5 hours. When I went to get my F-4, I went with my dad and took the following documents:

1. Birth Certificate (Full, Abstract does not work)
2. Passport
3. My Dad's US Citizenship paperwork
4. Copy of his old passport
5. A Passport Picture
6. Family Register

My dad had to fill out a form stating that he was renouncing his Korean citizenship (which basically already took place when he became a US citizen). He also had to write something saying that I was not on the family register (might have been because our copy of the family register was fairly old). We brought copies of basically all important family documents just in case we'd need them. After that, you just pay them for the Visa, leave your passport and pick it up the next day. Good luck with the process.
t1m1ty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need to let SMOE know that I want to apply for a F-4 visa instead of an E-2, or should I just apply for a F-4 when I receive my NOA?
nyla54

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick note: You need to be at least 22 years old to apply for the F-4 visa.
t1m1ty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyla54 wrote:
Quick note: You need to be at least 22 years old to apply for the F-4 visa.

I'm 23. Very Happy
aphase

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chonga wrote:
My father is American and I was born an American citizen in Korea but my mother is Korean. So since I was never a Korean citizen I'm guessing I can just head to the consulate and take my mother with me to get an F-4?

I'm going Wednesday so if anybody knows otherwise, I'm going to try and see if I can do this in one shot.

I know my situation is unique being that I was born on Korean soil as an American citizen and never on my mother's registry, but if anyone has any insight before I take a 2.5 hour drive to the consulate I'd appreciate it.

Your going to still need the documents. Also, you need your mothers registry, but you being on it or not has nothing to do with it. It just needs to show that she was on it. I think the documents I used were copies of my parents marriage cert., my mothers naturalization papers, copy of her passport, my birth cert, and the family registry paper which my uncle got for me. I think that was about it. Anyways like you, only my mother is korean, and i've never been on the family registry.

To the person who asked if its possible to change from E2 to F4 easily while in korea: Yes, it's very easy and isn't even a problem. I was on an E2 my first year here and changed to an F4 after my first 6 months. No need for a visa run or anything like that.
t1m1ty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted this already, but no one seems to know (sorry for the repeat).

Do I need to let SMOE know that I want to apply for a F-4 visa instead of an E-2, or should I just apply for a F-4 when I receive my NOA? I sent in my contract and am waiting for my NOA from SMOE. With the NOA, am I only allowed to apply for an E-2?
RobLeeTeach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t1m1ty wrote:

Do I need to let SMOE know that I want to apply for a F-4 visa instead of an E-2, or should I just apply for a F-4 when I receive my NOA? I sent in my contract and am waiting for my NOA from SMOE. With the NOA, am I only allowed to apply for an E-2?

What's the "NOA"? Notice of acceptance? You can apply for an F4 without a NOA. You just need the proof of Korean heritage and fulfill certain guidelines to apply and obtain an F4. Having a job lined up is irrelevant for an F4. That's one of the beauties of it.

I don't understand why SMOE would want you to get your E2 if you're F4 eligible since with the F4 they don't have to sponsor you and they're not liable if you f*** up. Getting an E2 is like SMOE vouching for your character and such....hence the whole criminal background check process.

It's easier on both parties if you get the F4. I didn't ask them which visa I should get. I just got my F4 and said, 'hey, this is the visa, I got.'
RobLeeTeach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aphase wrote:
....but you being on it or not has nothing to do with it....

Well, it is relevant if you're on the registry, a male, and under 35 (I believe the age until you're still obligated to serve).

If you are all of the above, they check to make sure you've served in the military when you apply for an F4. I don't know if they make you serve before getting the F4 or have you promise to serve in condition of giving you an F4, but regardless, check to see if you're name is on the registry.

Dual Citizen Issues:
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/168210_korean08.html
http://seoul.usembassy.gov/dual.html
t1m1ty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLeeTeach wrote:
t1m1ty wrote:

What's the "NOA"? Notice of acceptance? You can apply for an F4 without a NOA. You just need the proof of Korean heritage and fulfill certain guidelines to apply and obtain an F4. Having a job lined up is irrelevant for an F4. That's one of the beauties of it.

I don't understand why SMOE would want you to get your E2 if you're F4 eligible since with the F4 they don't have to sponsor you and they're not liable if you f*** up. Getting an E2 is like SMOE vouching for your character and such....hence the whole criminal background check process.

It's easier on both parties if you get the F4. I didn't ask them which visa I should get. I just got my F4 and said, 'hey, this is the visa, I got.'

Did you tell them after you received your Notice of Appointment? I'm ready to apply for my F4, but without a NOA, I still don't know if I'm going. Thanks for the feedback though. Really appreciate it
RobLeeTeach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t1m1ty wrote:

Did you tell them after you received your Notice of Appointment? I'm ready to apply for my F4, but without a NOA, I still don't know if I'm going. Thanks for the feedback though. Really appreciate it

No I told them before. I still haven't gotten my notice of appointment. I just mailed the contract that states the duties, salaries, etc..., which I find a bit odd. Is the NOA a 2nd contract? Is a NOA one that states specifically what school you're teaching at? My TaLK contract offer had all the school information in it.
t1m1ty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLeeTeach wrote:
t1m1ty wrote:

No I told them before. I still haven't gotten my notice of appointment. I just mailed the contract that states the duties, salaries, etc..., which I find a bit odd. Is the NOA a 2nd contract? Is a NOA one that states specifically what school you're teaching at? My TaLK contract offer had all the school information in it.

Oh, I guess I have to let my recruiter know. Or I could e-mail/call SMOE myself... or I could just get my f4 visa
nyla54

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLeeTeach wrote:
t1m1ty wrote:

How long ago did you mail your contract?

As a word of caution, not all recruiters deal with the paperwork the same so take my post with a grain of salt.

Below is the process I know:
1. Send in application with the supplementary documents (reference letters, sample plan, etc).
2. If you pass the first part, you get a phone interview.
3. If you pass the phone interview, you receive a letter stating that you have been offered a position.
4. You then have to send all the required documents, such as transcripts, criminal background check, and signed copies of the contract they send you.
5. At this point, you should expect your notice of appointment--it's an official document recognizing that you have been placed with an organization that's sponsoring you. Since most obtain an E-2 visa, which a NOA is required, the NOA is always sent. I have heard of some instances where you get a visa issuance number though. However, I think the convention is to send a NOA.

Even though you do not need a NOA since you have a F-4 visa, it is still good to obtain one. The reason being that it essentially represents that you have officially received the position. The public school programs tend to overextend acceptances, and this can evolve into a rat race to send in your documents ASAP. There have been instances when people have sent in their final documents, but were dropped from the program as all the positions had already been filled.

Did you receive anything from your recruiter that represents you officially receiving a position in SMOE?

Also, with SMOE, you won't know your placement (school, age, and housing) until the end of orientation. You have already been assigned your placement, but only your school and SMOE knows. There is a very slim chance that your school could contact you to say hello, but most find out at orientation.
t1m1ty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyla54 wrote:
RobLeeTeach wrote:
t1m1ty wrote:

How long ago did you mail your contract?

As a word of caution, not all recruiters deal with the paperwork the same so take my post with a grain of salt.

Below is the process I know:
1. Send in application with the supplementary documents (reference letters, sample plan, etc).
2. If you pass the first part, you get a phone interview.
3. If you pass the phone interview, you receive a letter stating that you have been offered a position.
4. You then have to send all the required documents, such as transcripts, criminal background check, and signed copies of the contract they send you.
5. At this point, you should expect your notice of appointment--it's an official document recognizing that you have been placed with an organization that's sponsoring you. Since most obtain an E-2 visa, which a NOA is required, the NOA is always sent. I have heard of some instances where you get a visa issuance number though. However, I think the convention is to send a NOA.

Even though you do not need a NOA since you have a F-4 visa, it is still good to obtain one. The reason being that it essentially represents that you have officially received the position. The public school programs tend to overextend acceptances, and this can evolve into a rat race to send in your documents ASAP. There have been instances when people have sent in their final documents, but were dropped from the program as all the positions had already been filled.

Did you receive anything from your recruiter that represents you officially receiving a position in SMOE?

Also, with SMOE, you won't know your placement (school, age, and housing) until the end of orientation. You have already been assigned your placement, but only your school and SMOE knows. There is a very slim chance that your school could contact you to say hello, but most find out at orientation.

I received a contract from SMOE after passing my interview and sending the necessary documents such as CBC, apostilled diplomas and other documents. I signed the contract and sent it to SMOE about last week on the 15th or 16th. I am now just waiting to see if I officially have the job and when orientation is. I guess I'll head to my Korean Consulate office and apply for a F4 visa next week. I'm still unsure if I have to notify SMOE that I will be getting a F4 visa instead of an E2 visa though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: