Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Emory University graduates here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beecomet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though you're completely off topic, I'll take a stab.

Basically, you're asking why do people reach out to others. I can't help you there. Fundamentally, you have to ask yourself why do people do anything at all. Good luck with that.
Dharma_Blue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redaxe wrote:
Dharma_Blue wrote:
Well, there might be some people here who have graduated from ivy league schools with TESOL degrees. I getting my masters in education from an ivy league and am thinking about teaching in Korea next year. What's so strange about that?

Just as long as it's not because you can't find a better job in your home country. It depresses me to see economic refugees from America coming here because they basically have no better choice.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but honestly all my ESL teacher friends here, when I first asked them "so are you a teacher?" Their honest answer has been: "Yeah... I needed a job. *shrug*"

Again, this begs the question: does having a cookie cutter house in suburbia, a 9-5 job in a cubicle with three weeks off a year, a car, a car payment, a morgatage, a 20% income tax rate, a 9% sales tax rate, a backyard bbq grill, and a overweight wife really make one "better" or "happier"?

Perhaps if you are a lawyer, doctor, buinessman, or a software engineer for Google, things might be different. However, and this has often been repeated, if you have no real marketable skills and/or enjoy teaching, then Korea or Japan are the way to go.

Last edited by Dharma_Blue on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Dharma_Blue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youtuber wrote:
Come on Dharma, do we need to explain this?

Paying thousands of dollars for a brand name degree so that you can work for Mr Kim for $14/hour is....well.....kind of depressing.

Honestly, Korea is not a place to live and work long term! Focus on what you can do in the future back in your home country! That is the key! Korea is a dead end!

Teaching ESL in Korea is an experience. It is not a life. There are just too many things working against us here.

Right, instead you can go home to the land of opportunity and fight with 30 other people for a 17$ dollar an hour job working for Mr. Smith. You may even get to pay $1400 dollars a month for a tiny little apartment in the East Village, L.A, or San Francisco in order to have the privilage of living somewhere "cool" Rolling Eyes
blackjack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bog Roll wrote:
Never heard of it.

What do you want us to do - perform a cartwheel. Rolling Eyes

I've never heard of it either
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that even the foreigners are propagating the stereotype of ESL teachers as being losers who have nowhere else to turn to because they can't get a job back home. I don't see what's wrong with wanting to visit another country to try something new. I don't know if it will be possible for me, but I also thought about being an ESL teacher in another country for the experience.

Dharma_Blue wrote:

Again, this begs the question: does having a cookie cutter house in suburbia, a 9-5 job in a cubicle with three weeks off a year, a car, a car payment, a morgatage, a 20% income tax rate, a 9% sales tax rate, a backyard bbq grill, and a overweight wife really make one "better" or "happier"?

Lol the American dream. Don't forget the student loan with 12% interest, kids' education, the dog, the divorce, the divorce lawyer, child support, and all the stuff you have to buy to keep up with the Joneses.
beecomet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donate some money every year to Emory. $10. Hey, it's something. Anyone else do this? It goes straight to wherever I like. I had a good time at my university.

By the way, Emory isn't in the ivy league. No confusion there. It's a good school, though. I didn't get into Duke or University of Chicago, so I choose Emory.

youtuber wrote:
Paying thousands of dollars for a brand name degree so that you can work for Mr Kim for $14/hour is....well.....kind of depressing.

I went through on a three fourth's ride. Anyway, it's not depressing that I'm over here in Korea. Not at all. I don't discount or hate myself. No debt straight out my 4th year. I feel positive about my life. I don't understand all this negativity coming from your point of view.
GoodMike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beecomet wrote:

youtuber wrote:

I went through on a three fourth's ride. Anyway, it's not depressing that I'm over here in Korea. Not at all. I don't discount or hate myself. No debt straight out my 4th year. I don't understand all this negativity coming from your point of view.

It is pretty apparent by all of youtubers posts that he is so unhappy with life, he can never post something that isn't negative towards korea, and other people. I actually feel bad for him. Every post i see from youtuber, i know its him with out even reading the name. Honestly, i do not even understand the point of him posting anymore. We get it...you hate life, you hate korea, and you dont think you get paid enough... Get over it and go home. Then you can make $14 dollars an hour, and have a mortgage/rent payment, car payment, 100 dollar cell phone bill, expensive internet and all the other joys of life.

Personally, i like my $14 dollars an hour, no debt, bills under 100 dollars a month, infact, im saving a ton of money. Not everyone hates life youtuber Smile
Mirabilis85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redaxe wrote:
The lack of positive replies to this is rather comforting. At least graduates of top-ranking private universities aren't flocking to Korea to teach ESL... yet.

The day I meet an Ivy League grad here in Korea teaching ESL, I will shed a tear for my once-great but now fallen country.

Ive met a couple in Korea. Shall I introduce? heheheh Razz
Konglishman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beecomet wrote:
By the way, Emory isn't in the ivy league. No confusion there. It's a good school, though. I didn't get into Duke or University of Chicago, so I choose Emory.

Yes, I know that Emory is not part of the Ivy League. However, there was an attempt in 1950's to create a so called Southern Ivy League which alternatively might have been called a Magnolia Conference. It would have consisted of College of William and Mary, Duke, Emory, Rice, Southern Methodist University, Tulane, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, University of Virginia, Vanderbilt, and Wake Forest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Ivy
Bog Roll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjack wrote:
Bog Roll wrote:
Never heard of it.

What do you want us to do - perform a cartwheel. Rolling Eyes

I've never heard of it either

I thought an Emory was a problem with your backpassage. Laughing

I think they expect us subjects of the queen to give a monkey's about their silly universities.

My cousin went to Imperial College in London.

I went to the University of Wales in Swansea.

One person got a job as a chemist straightaway and turned down four financial jobs in the city of London.

And one ended up in Korea.

Guess who?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: