Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pension deductions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dominic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: :( Reply with quote

my boss doesnt even take pension after i begged him to he still didnt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weatherman wrote:
Mr. Pink wrote:
I've paid 120,000 a month for the past couple years. My salary goes up but the school doesnt seem to adjust the pension...

You have a good school. At my school, a private university, the longer you stay the more you pay out in a deduction, but at the same time my pay hasn't increased. I am at 2.0 a month. When I started, I paid out about 95,000 as the deduction, but now it is 140,000.... So the longer I stay, the less I make.... Question Mad

Actually the longer you stay the MORE you make...if your university is matching that 140,000, that means when you quit and take your pension back you get more Smile

That's the way I see it: manditory savings.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, you should try to pay as much pension as possible. It is like putting money in the bank and earning 100% interest.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
weatherman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:
weatherman wrote:
Mr. Pink wrote:
I've paid 120,000 a month for the past couple years. My salary goes up but the school doesnt seem to adjust the pension...

You have a good school. At my school, a private university, the longer you stay the more you pay out in a deduction, but at the same time my pay hasn't increased. I am at 2.0 a month. When I started, I paid out about 95,000 as the deduction, but now it is 140,000.... So the longer I stay, the less I make.... Question Mad

Actually the longer you stay the MORE you make...if your university is matching that 140,000, that means when you quit and take your pension back you get more Smile

That's the way I see it: manditory savings.

Not at my school. From all the other teachers who have left, what you get is your money back, plus a little in interest. The school doesn't match it at all. Are you at a private university? Seems like they have a choice of paying you the private pension or the severance pay. Here we get what we put back into till, but with no extra........ ohters have fought this and lost.... seems the law plus the contract work against one at this univeristy....
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe according to Korean law, they must give you severence pay and pension. If not, something is wrong.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input and the information.

Regarding severance : There was a landmark case in the Korean courts for illegal migrant workers, and now because of it , they get severance with or without legal work documents .

So there is no way in hell any hogwon owner can withhold your severance. They only way they can do it legally is iff you sign a contract for less than 52 weeks. I was in the original EPIK programe and we all unknowingly had to sign an addendum to our contracts saying it was a 50 week and not a 52 week contract. We unwittingly gave them legal resource to not paye our severance. How is that for a government outfit, and the education department at that.

The landmark legal case for migrant workers is well documented, so if anyone is feeling insecure about approaching some swindling hogwon owner try and get hold of the details and read up on it. You'll then feel a lot more confidant when you have your altercation.

I'm not sure, but iff you stay on for more than a year at an institute I think you are entitled to partial or full payement of your severance for any part of or extra year that you work.

Last edited by Medic on Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
I believe according to Korean law, they must give you severence pay and pension. If not, something is wrong.

The private universities have a different law. Really I am not making this up. They don't pay into the government pension, but have their own private pension, and the law says they can pay you one or the other. That is what I know..... Anybody have more information?
canukteacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My university used to have the private pension scheme, and did away with it a couple of years ago. Apparently, (not sure if this is right or not) it became illegal (change in laws) to have a private pension plan in place, and pay severance. They moved us over to the National Pension Plan, and we get out severance every year.

Like I say, I don't know all the ins and outs. This is how it was explained to me.

CT
aussie col

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss never took pension OR tax out of my pay. I was going to ask him about it but figured that I was on a good deal Very Happy . Once I got a letter from the pension place (name?) asking me to pay a few hundred thou Won. Moved apartment a few weeks later so threw the letter away and never paid a cent the whole year.

I'm Australian so would never get it back even if i tried.
paquebot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the web address of a government site that explicitly states that a school (hagwon) must pay into the National Pension Scheme?

I've had a few schools tell me that they're confused by this. Most of the time it's no big deal because the rest of the contract is rubbish, but I may have found a good school with a good contract that's only missing a part about pension. Mentioning the Totalization Agreement between Korea and the United States helps ("I have social security deductions in the US and will need to have pension deductions in Korea to avoid legal trouble"), but it would be great if I could just throw out a go.kr website as evidence.

Thanks to anyone who can help out.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paquebot wrote:
Does anyone have the web address of a government site that explicitly states that a school (hagwon) must pay into the National Pension Scheme?

I've had a few schools tell me that they're confused by this. Most of the time it's no big deal because the rest of the contract is rubbish, but I may have found a good school with a good contract that's only missing a part about pension. Mentioning the Totalization Agreement between Korea and the United States helps ("I have social security deductions in the US and will need to have pension deductions in Korea to avoid legal trouble"), but it would be great if I could just throw out a go.kr website as evidence.

Thanks to anyone who can help out.

http://www.nps.or.kr/jsppage/english/scheme/scheme_04.jsp

Foreigners working at the workplace with 5 or more full-time employees were included in the mandatory coverage in August 1995 and those working at the workplace with less than 5 employees including self-employed foreigners were also included in the mandatory coverage in April 1999. Accordingly, foreigners aged from 18 to less than 60 who reside in Korea must be, in principle, covered under the Scheme. But foreigners falling under any of the following items are excluded from the coverage.
- Those whose country does not mandatorily cover Korean citizens under its pension scheme.
=> Under this rule, only the nationals from 18 countries※ do not have to enroll and pay the NPS contributions.
※ the Republic of South Africa, Nepal, Russia, Maldives, Nyanmar, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Saudi Arabia,
Armenia, Ukraine, Ethiopia, Iran, Egypt, Tonga, Pakistan, Fiji, Cambodea, Singapore
- Foreigners who are not registered under the Immigration Act, or to whom the forced deportation order
has been issued under the same Act, or who are staying in Korea without being permitted to extend their
term of stay.
- Among the registered foreigners under Immigration Act, those whose stay status falls under any of the
followings; culture & art, studying abroad, industrial training, general training, religion, visiting & living
together and others.
murrdah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had some issues with pension and my boss (who was taking too much out) and I got some really useful info from the pension office that hopefully will help you out. I'm not sure if it's different from province to province but in case it isn't here are the numbers. It's a long list of salaries so I'll cut it short.

1.915 - 2.030 = ~177,300 (you pay ~88,650)
2.030 - 2.135 = ~187,200 (you pay ~93,600)
2.135 - 2.245 = ~197,100 (you pay ~98,550)
2.245 - 2.360 = ~207,000 (you pay ~103,500)
2.360 - 2.475 = ~217,800 (you pay ~108,900)
2.475 - 2.600 = ~228,600 (you pay ~114,300)

It is 9%, but you only pay 4.5%. It's also wise to check in with the pension office to make sure that your boss is declaring your correct salary. If not then he's probably paying less and keeping your share of the bargain.

Also, since it is required by law and is counted as a bill from the government, if your boss doesn't pay he will get his property seized until he can cough up the cash (it happened to my boss twice).

Hope this helps!
glimmer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Phone number? Reply with quote

On a related note, does the National Pension Service actually have an English-language hotline (as the Immigration Service does)? When I called the 1355 number listed on the English section of the NPS web site I was unable to get hold of an English speaker. Confused
madkisso

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murrdah wrote:
I recently had some issues with pension and my boss (who was taking too much out) and I got some really useful info from the pension office that hopefully will help you out. I'm not sure if it's different from province to province but in case it isn't here are the numbers. It's a long list of salaries so I'll cut it short.

1.915 - 2.030 = ~177,300 (you pay ~88,650)
2.030 - 2.135 = ~187,200 (you pay ~93,600)
2.135 - 2.245 = ~197,100 (you pay ~98,550)
2.245 - 2.360 = ~207,000 (you pay ~103,500)
2.360 - 2.475 = ~217,800 (you pay ~108,900)
2.475 - 2.600 = ~228,600 (you pay ~114,300)

It is 9%, but you only pay 4.5%. It's also wise to check in with the pension office to make sure that your boss is declaring your correct salary. If not then he's probably paying less and keeping your share of the bargain.

Also, since it is required by law and is counted as a bill from the government, if your boss doesn't pay he will get his property seized until he can cough up the cash (it happened to my boss twice).

Hope this helps!

In regards to the last part - about the boss getting in trouble if he doesn't pay - if pension wasn't mentioned in your contract and so you are not paying it, does that mean you, the employee, could also get in trouble? I've asked this question in several threads because I wasn't sure where it would be most appropriate. Sorry if some are reading it more than once. I'm not too concerned about it (as far as the money goes) but really don't want to get in trouble and end up owing money. Also, does it make any difference if you are an F-4 visa holder? Thanks so much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: