Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Those guys who will drive your car home for you when u drunk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjajangmyun

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Those guys who will drive your car home for you when u drunk Reply with quote

out of total curiosity...

drove out with my gf once to party, we both got hammered, and then she called somebody to come pick us up and drive us back to her place but using her car!

but then how the hell does the driver get back home? after we paid him some ridiculously low fee, he literally just started walking off into the night! does he call a cab? someone else to come get him? perplexed... what if we had lived all the way out in the boonies?

this was in daegu btw. it wasn't seoul where he could've found a taxi in 5 minutes. and her place was outside the city a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
oppa637

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are called Dae rhee. I think they are awesome. They normally wait around for another call or get picked up by their company to go do it again.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

대리운전 in the boonies way out of the capital you can go like 30 minutes to the next town and only be charged 30k. Not bad for not having to drive drunk and still have your car at your place in the morning.

I believe the guy just waits for another guy to pick him up. The 'company' car is usually some Geo/Tico type of car with the company sticker plastered to the side.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some companies have combined this service with prostitution; you get a young woman to drive you home and give you oral sex too Shocked Truly an OInK (Only In Korea)... well, I could see this being in Japan too.
jjajangmyun

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant. thanks lads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
b-class rambler

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, 대리운전 is one those things that even the expats who never seem to stop whining about anything Korean often think is a great idea.

Me, I tend to be fairly happy in Korea, but 대리운전 is something I've never been anywhere near as blown away impressed with as many others seem to have been and now wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

I mean, has anyone ever stopped to think if these guys are actually insured to drive your car home? Probably not, as if you were sober enough to think about that you wouldn't need their service in the first place.

But I'm pretty certain that very many 대리 are not insured to drive your car and that you could potentially be in quite a mess if an accident happened with one of them driving. I've only once ever used a 대리 driver and I was unimpressed because my car was a manual transmission and he looked like he'd never changed gear himself since his pre-licence driving lessons, if at all. On a 6km drive home we had a couple of very, very near misses and that got me thinking about the insurance issue.

I got a discount on the insurance by stipulating that only my wife and I could drive the car. So I wondered what kind of cover these guys could have that would override that. I was even more sceptical given how many situations I come across where back home it would be the norm to cover your arse with some kind of insurance, but where, in Korea, you get very strange looks if you ask about insurance and the norm is clearly to just assume it'll (probably) be all ok.

What I've heard is that many 대리 drivers who work full-time are "probably" covered by their employers insurance, if indeed their employer has the appropriate insurance in the first place. But a lot of them work part-time and, as such, are left to insure themselves. Obviously, this would take a fair chunk out of not enormously lucrative earnings, so many don't bother.
I've heard this from a couple of long time Korean friends of mine who've worked (or still work) in the taxi business here and who, I'm pretty confident, know what they're talking about. The same claims have also made on a couple of tv news stories I've seen, one of them last Christmas Day on SBS.

I guess you could say that having a guy, who might be uninsured, drive you home is a much lesser evil than driving home drunk and I wouldn't disagree. But for me, if I have a car to take home, then I'd rather just not drink that use 대리운전.
optik404

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they wrecked your car, they'd probably just get out and walk away. Leaving your drunk ass to get arrested by the po-po.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the government should do is make these guys licensed, certified, an included as "insured" on anyone's policy in order to promote this kind of service.
Chaucer

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b-class rambler wrote:

I mean, has anyone ever stopped to think if these guys are actually insured to drive your car home? Probably not, as if you were sober enough to think about that you wouldn't need their service in the first place..

Actually, it's something you can sign for on your own car insurance. Since this daeree things started, the insurance companies have adapted. I have the rider, as it were, or whatever you call it, on my car ins.
b-class rambler

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaucer wrote:
b-class rambler wrote:

I mean, has anyone ever stopped to think if these guys are actually insured to drive your car home? Probably not, as if you were sober enough to think about that you wouldn't need their service in the first place..

Actually, it's something you can sign for on your own car insurance. Since this daeree things started, the insurance companies have adapted. I have the rider, as it were, or whatever you call it, on my car ins.

That's interesting. Which insurer was it? Presumbly that's something you were told you could opt in or out of and the premium adjusted accordingly. And who exactly is covered? Is it only certain recognised and approved 대리운전 companies or could it be just about anyone?

I've arranged or renewed car insurance here nearly 10 times and it's never been mentioned to me. Of course, it's possible that it was included in my insurance and I wasn't aware of it. It would indeed make sense that the insurer or broker you were dealing with would assume it was something you wanted, even if they were, strictly speaking, supposed to ask.

I did personally ask an insurance broker about the 대리 insurance issue a couple of years ago. He replied that if your car was covered for anyone to drive it, there wouldn't be an issue as long as the actual driver was driving legally (i.e. had a licence/wasn't banned from driving etc). But he said that if, like us, the policy only covered certain individuals then a 대리 driver might not be covered and that it was a bit of a grey area. Granted, this conversation was about 2010ish and something might have changed since then, plus we were seeing this guy regarding stuff totally unrelated to car insurance. But he didn't sound like he was just guessing.
Waygeek

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdninkorea wrote:
Some companies have combined this service with prostitution; you get a young woman to drive you home and give you oral sex too Shocked Truly an OInK (Only In Korea)... well, I could see this being in Japan too.

That sounds brilliant to be honest haha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: