Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for choosing a stock-trading platform?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conewrench

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Advice for choosing a stock-trading platform? Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been covered before, but I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences with different online stock-trading platforms, like e-trade. Are there any advantages to using Korean banks, such as Kioom (기움증권)? I'm looking to open a self-directed account, and I'm wondering about how to go about doing it.

Also, what are the tax implications of profiting from (or losing money with...) stock trades in Korea? Do investors have to pay tax on capital gains? Dividend income?

Not sure if this affects my options, but I'm married to a Korean and have an F-visa.

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you!
mr_thehorse

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for choosing a stock-trading platform? Reply with quote

conewrench wrote:
Not sure if this has been covered before, but I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences with different online stock-trading platforms, like e-trade. Are there any advantages to using Korean banks, such as Kioom (기움증권)? I'm looking to open a self-directed account, and I'm wondering about how to go about doing it.

Also, what are the tax implications of profiting from (or losing money with...) stock trades in Korea? Do investors have to pay tax on capital gains? Dividend income?

Not sure if this affects my options, but I'm married to a Korean and have an F-visa.

Thank you!

Depends on if you plan on trading foreign or domestic securities. I trade purely foreign futures, and there is no capital gains taxes for foreign futures, which is freakin' great. Not sure about foreign equities.
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for choosing a stock-trading platform? Reply with quote

conewrench wrote:

Thank you!

I use E*trade. The stocks I've bought have been US companies so any capital gains or dividends I get would be taxable...if they were large amounts. So far they haven't exceeded my standard tax deductions.

E*trade also has a global account where you can trade currencies and stocks on (some) foreign markets, but those transactions cost more...like in the days before online brokers. A lot of foreign companies have Depository Receipts (DR) that let you trade their stock from your home country's exchange. So that would be an option if you can't trade in a foreign market.

As for trading on Korea's stock exchange, I'm afraid I don't know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: