Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I smell?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iiicalypso

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Do I smell? Reply with quote

Could somebody tell me what the story is with deodorant in Korea? I have been rationing my supply because I cannot seem to find it in the store. I am not one to go asking questions, so I do the furtive glance as I walk down the aisle. Finally got tired of looking like a shoplifter and asked the woman at the pharmacy. She took out what would generously be considered a sample size from behind the counter. It isn't Oxycontin, for gods sake, it is Right Guard.

Is there a secret to finding the damn deodorant-- a secret handshake, or a password-- or is this just the way it is?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a Body Shop near you? They sell men's deodorant. If you're in Seoul, you could check out the Red Door store in Itaewon (nondescipt looking store, walk up the street behind Burger King for about 2mins, past all the antique shops) as they have familiar brands.
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Namdaemun Import market (near Namdaemun great gate, it's underground) sells the stuff - just hunt around all the stalls for one that sells toiletries and medicines.
rapier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed roll on deodorant. never use it though.
deodorants are a fallacy, a marketing gimmick. you smell worse with stale deodorant than anything else. If you take your 2 showers a day and wash your clothes a lot, you'll always smell fresh and good. Au naturel is best.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a product out of Australia simply a chunk of some kind of rock crystal. Effective deodorant (but not an antiperspirant) I've used it happily for years. Rub it on after a shower & youre good to go all day.

Sorry not much help to the OP but others travelling to or from western areas might consider it -- easy to find in natural food stores & trendy pharmacies in Canada & the States, presumably in Australia too. A big advantage is not having to stock up. One cube of it lasts up to 2 years & costs less than $5.
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
deodorants are a fallacy, a marketing gimmick. you smell worse with stale deodorant than anything else. If you take your 2 showers a day and wash your clothes a lot, you'll always smell fresh and good. Au naturel is best.

I disagree rapier. I go to the gym a lot and MUST put on deodorant/antiperspirant after I take my shower.

If I don't my pits start to smell like a hippy's bunghole. Trust me, you don't want to know what that smells like.
just because

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-Mart sells deodarant and I saw some in LG 25. I bring mine with me. 10 sticks of roll-on last year. it has lasted as i'm not really a sweaty, hence smelly person.

Quote:
I disagree rapier. I go to the gym a lot and MUST put on deodorant/antiperspirant after I take my shower.

I was at my gym on Wednesday and there was this foreigner in there and holy sh.. did he smell bad. A couple of the Korean guys were looking at me and saying naemsae anjoha(bad smell) but lucky he couldn't understand. i said to them in korean it isn't me. It was bad.
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought a two-year supply with me. I've heard they sell it at the Red Door shop in Itaewon, but I've never been in there.
Draven

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Nivea deodorant for men and women at Carrefour. If memory serves, it was about 5,000 won.
Leeroy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being able to find some deodorant in places like Doota and the like in Tongdaemun. Independant vendors in any mall or market are worth scouring, though they will almost always try to rip you off if they have the stuff.

Side note. I remember hearing countless times from Koreans that westerners smell like (insert whatever). But every time I asked my students why Koreans don't use deodorant (and was implying that several I had come across really do need to), they'd always reply with "Korean people don't smell". Now I know that we all have our different odours among the races but really, many Koreans I know constantly emit that garlic odour from eating kimchi three times a day. Summer time in Korea in subways, buses, and taxis were the worst. I know that here in Japan people often remark about Korean people and their garlic tainted BO. I've heard it from a few other nationalities too.

I think it's true that we do have stronger smelling sweat than the average Korean, but it's not an issue if you are prepared to use deodorant. I can't think of an odour more evocative and distinctive than the smell of Korea and it's people. It really smells bad in a few places and on a more than a few people too, in my opinion anyway. Anyone else share the same view? I've come across a few other travellers who have said the same thing about the distinctive smell of Korea and Koreans.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've heard Koreans make comments about the "foreigner smell" while not even noticing their own kimchi breath. I've been told we smell a bit like rotting milk.

The way I see it, they're just as likely not to have a clue about what they smell like to us as we are about our own smell.

Still ticks me off, though.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:

I disagree.

I lived/worked with a guy that didn't use it and showered twice a day. After he moved out it took like 3 days of open windows to get the STINK out of the place. Not wearing it is disguisting. If I didn't wear it...let's just say I would be out of a job, my wife would probably divorce me and heck Korea might use me as a "secret" weapon against the north!
rapier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm mending my ways and buying a stick of deo tomorrow... Laughing
eamo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this myth still going around that de-odorant is hard to find in Korea?

I see it everywhere!! Supermarkets, beauty stores, even saw it in a 7-11 for gods sake. It's a little expensive but it's there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: