Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chat With Beauties girl in hot water over book dissing Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UknowsI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epicurus wrote:
UknowsI wrote:
Epicurus wrote:
I don't get the uproar.
tough for vegetarians? their main dish is always rice and kimchi!

I was here with some strict vegeterians and kimchi is most often made with fish oil. When not even kimchi is true vegetarian food I assume you realise how hard it is to be a real vegetarian here.

I always figured fermented cabbage smeared with red pepper paste is about as vegetarian as you can get.

(and personally I don't quite "get" being a super strict vegetarian to the point of complaining about oil, etc, but whatever)

I don't get it either, but then again I'm not religious and those people were. From a nutrition point of view it makes no sense, but I guess you can't really say someone's religion is wrong.
yingwenlaoshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy oil.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epicurus wrote:
I don't get the uproar.

Many of the girl's comments were spot on, though I don't understand some others

aka

tough for vegetarians? their main dish is always rice and kimchi!

her K-bf doesn't pay enough attention to her? what does this mean? they've been trained already by K-gals to carry purses, text 100x a day and otherwise be useful when needed.

what's the issue with miniskirts, etc? sure the K-gals show leg, and after all, as another poster notes, it's by far their best asset, and they really don't show anything else.

having just come back from stateside, I can easily state that K-gals don't come even remotely close to their Western sisters when it comes to baring skin in the summertime (or at any time) even if many of the Westerners would be better off not showing us any at all and instead donning a burkha)

but when you do get a fine Western woman in a pair of tight shorts, or jeans and a flimsy top, nothing or no one in Korea can come even remotely close in matching such a woman for "looking hot". There's something magnetic about curves yet undisturbed by age and gravity and their effect on a man. 99% of K-gals don't have this "curve" blessing/curse Very Happy

Someone mentioned kimchi. It is often a non-vegetarian food since it contains fish oil.

As far as Korean women and how they dress, they definitely dress far more conservatively than American women, in general. I am not trying to make a judgement either way.

As far as American women looking much better than Korean women due to their curves, that's something subjective, but I would definitely say the EFL/ESL teachers who act if there are more attractive Korean women than American women and that American are generally huge all over the place, really need glasses. When I'm in the U.S., I see plenty of drop dead gorgeous women that would make you stop in your tracks.

Back to this Misuda thing, I find the show offensive in a certain sense since it only includes Western women and parades them in front of Korean males. However, I can understand these women wanting to be on TV. Who wouldn't want to be on TV, fellows?
brainfreeze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:

American are generally huge all over the place, really need glasses.

Statistically that's a true statement. America has one of the highest rates of obesity in the world (it's been dethroned as number 1 luckily, but it's still up there). It doesn't mean however that every person in the states is "huge" as you so eloquently put it.
Carla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brainfreeze wrote:
Adventurer wrote:

Statistically that's a true statement. America has one of the highest rates of obesity in the world (it's been dethroned as number 1 luckily, but it's still up there). It doesn't mean however that every person in the states is "huge" as you so eloquently put it.

You misquoted him, he said that it's the people who say all Americans are huge need glasses
brainfreeze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla wrote:
brainfreeze wrote:
Adventurer wrote:

You misquoted him, he said that it's the people who say all Americans are huge need glasses

And you misunderstood me. I said that statistically speaking, American women are larger than their Korean counter parts. That doesn't mean however every single American women is obese/overweight.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epicurus wrote:
earthbound14 wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
^^ yeah, I've gotta' say, I had far more back home than I ever did here.

I'm batting 50/50...all same same for me.

The idea that some ugly guy can come to Korea and pick up because he is white is way out to lunch. The fact is....Korean girls say, if you are a less than attractive Korean girl and you can't get a date....go white.

I don't think Korean men have much to worry wbout. Most foreign men here are just happy when a Korean girl (almost any Korean girl) pays attention to them. I've dated a few girls Korean guys wouldn't date...but they (some Korean men, please don't read that as all) don't seem to become back stabbing shmucks until you snag one of the pretty ones. God, I hate when some bartending wank tries to pick up my wife....when she is sitting next to me assuming I don't know any Korean.

I agree with you for the most part.

but,

I never consider Korean guys "competition", because the bag toting flower boy just isn't - even if he actually "is" - know what I mean?

Other than the language barrier (which is very important in most cases, you need to make a girl laugh, feel good with you/around you) you're battling other cultural issues, even if it's a "I'm horny, one night stand" kind of deal.

Capt Korea is a good example. His lifting physique stateside probably has worked to his benefit many a time. Here, if anything it's neutral or perhaps even a negative.

a decent looking Western guy willl do FAR better in the Phillippines, SE Asia, and even the other outlets of Confucianism, Japan and especially China.

Yup, one week in the Philippines and my wife said never again - they just dug my look more there.

Here, for some odd reason, I just was not what they were (generally) looking for.
Carla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brainfreeze wrote:
Carla wrote:
brainfreeze wrote:
Adventurer wrote:

And you misunderstood me. I said that statistically speaking, American women are larger than their Korean counter parts. That doesn't mean however every single American women is obese/overweight.

No, I understood and agree with you. But you appear to say that Adventurer is calling the women huge, when he is paraphrasing others.
earthbound14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Yup, one week in the Philippines and my wife said never again - they just dug my look more there.

Here, for some odd reason, I just was not what they were (generally) looking for.

My thinking is because they have so little money and think we have a lot of money...It's an odd sort of racism...the white man must have money.

My friend once said we were all the kings of Asia (he hadn't been to Korea yet).
DWAEJIMORIGUKBAP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gakduki wrote:
The crowded Subway comment is a little stupid. So is the miniskirt one, although I think she is trying to make the point that they are so worried about showing off certain parts of their bodies but love to show off as much leg as possible. Probably because they're their best assets.
The part about Korean's bad mouthing foriegners on the subway is true. I've heard it from many sources being a teacher you see they learn it from an early age and many never quite give it up. It's shallow and more racist than any of the German girl's observations. I know a vegetarian here, and it's difficult for her to find a decent vegetarian meal. (despite what mr.knowitall says) especially if you don't read korean and know all the meals. You can't tell by the pictures, and they love sprinkling dashida in many dishes that appear to be vegetarian.
The part about the Korean boyfriend not paying enough attention to her is hilarious, it could mean a few things.

I agree and with STEVIEG too.

I've had Koreans literally discuss me and my apppearance etc a metre in fornt of me whilst looking me up and down... you think I'm a zoo animal or something...?

I don't think it's racist to point out the lack of common courtesy paid to foriegners in public here just the same as it isn't racist to point out that the Brixton riots were race fueled or that the beating of Rodney King wasn't exactly a nice thing to happen....
Epicurus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, the US has been dethroned as the most obese country on Earth??

by WHO(M)????

I'm calling massive BS on that front.

and earthbound, it's not just white man having the (perceived) money. That helps the old(er) guys get younger girls. (which is the case the world over, not just Asia)

A young really good looking guy will get PAID to have sex by partygirls in Bangkok. Amazing but true. It's a competition appearance thing game they play with themselves.

Fact is almost everywhere in Asia (and in latin america, etc) a young good looking guy, especially blonde will be considered very exotic and desireable. This is not true to merely the same extent in Korea and I think part of it is the intense xenophobia and societal scrutiny that goes with a Korean girl dating or being seen with a foreigner.

Koreans also aren't quite into the muscular type physique that Capt. Korea sports, (although this is already changing)
Konglishman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, which nation is number 1 in obesity?
roadwork

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, I agree that all Americans need huge glasses.
Francis-Pax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Chat With Beauties girl in hot water over book dissing K Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/08/113_50536.html

Quote:
A popular female TV celebrity from Germany is creating a heated debate, if not controversy, with her book that apparently focused on the less than glamorous side of the Korean society.

Vera Hohleiter, a panel member of the popular KBS2 TV show, “Chat With Beauties” ? also called “Misuda”?published a book in Germany, apparently highlighting her negative experience in Korea.

In the TV program, Hohleiter said on a number of occasions that she “fell in love with Korea.” Her book, however, indicates otherwise, according to a South Korean blogger who lives in Germany and read the book. .....

...The 29-year-old German also said, “Koreans have a bad taste for gossiping about foreigners. When they spot them in a public place such as in the subway, they delve into a very detailed criticism of their appearance and do it in a loud voice.”

In the book, Hohleiter complained that Korea is a difficult place for a vegetarian to live, how her Korean boyfriend doesn’t pay enough attention to her, and that the crowded Korean subway reminded her of a group of mice, packed in a small space.

As for her TV remarks, she said a half of them were pre-written by a writer. “You just memorize and regurgitate what is already scripted during the show,” she said.

The hilarity is that I would say this is all VERY TRUE! And I'm not at all surprised about the TV show being prompted... happened to me when I was a part of a news story for KBS! Honestly, though... what she wrote isn't that horrible.

You and I know that anyone who has lived in Korea for a long period of time cannot only praise Korea. There is a very dark side to this country. To deny it is to lie.
Bronski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konglishman wrote:
So, which nation is number 1 in obesity?

This article says it's Australia:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4171160.ece

In any case, that's just one article that I googled and other studies may differ in their findings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: