Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chat With Beauties girl in hot water over book dissing Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pie eater wrote:
Didn' t this silly woman slag off expat blokes - saying that they were generally losers who had an elevated position in Korean society that they didn't deserve?

The fact that she was in a tv programme about beauties tells me that ugly white women also have an elevated position in Korean society that they don't deserve!

Misuda is a horrible 'Uncle Tom' show - full of silly women selling their soul for 30 pieces of silver and fame in a land far away from their own. Crying or Very sad

She did say that their responses were scripted- they said what the producers wanted them to say.

If that is true, if the and things they said about foreigners was scripted, then I am glad she wrote the book!!!!!!!!! I hope she will be on a lot of talk shows in Germany.

This reminds me a little of the textbook in Singapore that the Korean government was so upset about because it had a picture of a Korean homeless person.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Chat With Beauties girl in hot water over book dissing K Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
As for her TV remarks, she said a half of them were pre-written by a writer. “You just memorize and regurgitate what is already scripted during the show,” she said.

I bet a lot of her fans are going to be pissed about this part especially; all those episodes of her lavishing praise upon Korea, only to find out it was all scripted. This part actually made me laugh out loud. Laughing
Forward Observer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crescent wrote:
The bottom line is very much of what she said is true. But what purpose does it serve to announce it in a book?

She's a greedy opportunist hypocrite.
That's *opportunistic for the grammar gestapo.

Don't get me started on the multitudes of Koreans that have written books about the western countries they lived in, poking fun and making racist comments about those countries and their people.

NOT TO MENTION all the T.V. shows I've seen in the last 13-14 years slagging foreigners, their homelands and all their faults. If Koreans can write about us, why can't we write about them?

Back in '98, SBS ran a television show called "Let's make fun of other people's culture" - what do you think they did in Japan? They made fun of all the young people by walking around with a sign (Park Chul) that read "I want a Japanese girlfriend" - secretly filming every encounter, and translating his conversations into something completely different from what actually was said. Why? Because they wanted to perpetuate the idea that the Japanese will sleep with anyone. They even said it during the part where they sit around in their chairs discussing their shoot at the end.

All for a few laughs at the expense of innocent people.

So if this German girl wants to write a book and slag on Koreans, I say she's got every right in the world to tell her version of the truth.

Last edited by Forward Observer on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
bassexpander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze me how thin-skinned and incredibly insecure some people are about their culture.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Chat With Beauties girl in hot water over book dissing K Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/08/113_50536.html

Quote:
A popular female TV celebrity from Germany is creating a heated debate, if not controversy, with her book that apparently focused on the less than glamorous side of the Korean society.

Vera Hohleiter, a panel member of the popular KBS2 TV show, “Chat With Beauties” ? also called “Misuda”?published a book in Germany, apparently highlighting her negative experience in Korea.

In the TV program, Hohleiter said on a number of occasions that she “fell in love with Korea.” Her book, however, indicates otherwise, according to a South Korean blogger who lives in Germany and read the book. .....

...The 29-year-old German also said, “Koreans have a bad taste for gossiping about foreigners. When they spot them in a public place such as in the subway, they delve into a very detailed criticism of their appearance and do it in a loud voice.”

In the book, Hohleiter complained that Korea is a difficult place for a vegetarian to live, how her Korean boyfriend doesn’t pay enough attention to her, and that the crowded Korean subway reminded her of a group of mice, packed in a small space.

As for her TV remarks, she said a half of them were pre-written by a writer. “You just memorize and regurgitate what is already scripted during the show,” she said.

The hilarity is that I would say this is all VERY TRUE! And I'm not at all surprised about the TV show being prompted... happened to me when I was a part of a news story for KBS! Honestly, though... what she wrote isn't that horrible.

It seems like too many in Korea can't handle criticism of their own country? In how many countries do you have foreigners paraded on TV extolling the virtues of the nation. It almost sounds like a pumping of the national ego. The woman is entitled to her opinions. I don't think her complaint about the subways being crowded is warranted since Seoul is rather crowded, but she has a right to not like the fact that it's crowded.
As far as her Korean boyfriend, Korean males are expected to pay a lot of attention to Korean females. I knew one foreign female complaining about a former Korean male not paying much attention to her, but a current one doing so. Korean women often expect a lot of attention.
I don't know if I would say German males pay more attention to their women. I have no way of comparing.

As far as Koreans talking a lot about foreigners and their appearance, that happened to a Ukrainian friend who speaks Korean. She could understand how people were basically dissecting her appearance. However, this can happen all over the world to some extent. It just may be more common since foreigners are considered exotic, and this culture is not one that is very PC conscious.

Why are they making a big deal about what she wrote? At any rate, Westerners do not portray in their countries Koreans in a really negative light the way the Korean media savages the image of Westerners in this country. It strikes me that Korea has too much of an undemocratic spirit when it comes to cultural exchanges and understanding. I am sure that's changing, but the gap is still too large.

Last edited by Adventurer on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forward Observer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Adventurer. Right on the mark.
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Chat With Beauties girl in hot water over book dissing K Reply with quote

cdninkorea wrote:
bassexpander wrote:

I bet a lot of her fans are going to be pissed about this part especially; all those episodes of her lavishing praise upon Korea, only to find out it was all scripted. This part actually made me laugh out loud. Laughing

The really shocking thing is that people are actually surprised to hear this. I mean, come on, of course it's freekin scripted. Shocked
eamo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She should know. You can't say anything negative about Korea. They can't take it.
Enrico Palazzo
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daegudavid wrote:
red_devil wrote:
Based on her comments in the book she does come off as being overly negative, narrow minded, and makes very broad generalizations some of which border on racist.

You are a moron... Her comments were accurate, and it's fantastic that she has the guts to state the truth in her book, instead of sticking to the things we're meant to say. Koreans are incredibly rude. Yes, there are a few of them who wouldn't loudly disrespect foreigners, but the majority do.

Don't use the word 'racist' so slightly, my friend. That's a dangerous thing to do.

DaeguDavid, the following "Koreans are incredibly rude" defeats the purpose of what you are trying to say, because it tries to make a similar wrong a right, and it's a TOS violation. There is a way to say what you are saying without violating the TOS.

Thanks,

'Rico
Lou Giconi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

I read the article in the Korean times and I feel this particular reporter is a joke. I love how this person quoted an unknown Korean student studying in Germany.

First, who is to say this particular 'student' translated correctly?
Second, who is to say this is not the reporters own sensationalist slant and hiding behind some fictitious student supposedly studying in Germany.

Really, at the end of the day, who actually cares about this crap and if this chick's observations were so superficial to point out subways, mini skirts and open criticism --big @#$% deal!

As for Misuda, it's a joke, these twenty-something women are a joke, and if someone is actually willing to read this chick's book or blog about her observations in Korea --what does that tell you?
Seoul'n'Corea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crescent wrote:
The bottom line is very much of what she said is true. But what purpose does it serve to announce it in a book?

She's a greedy opportunist hypocrite.
That's *opportunistic for the grammar gestapo.

Good point, and this is easily explained, She got tired of keeping up with the bullsh!t Korea is pumping out.

I agree with her! Maybe a little public embarrassment of Korea might make Koreans think twice before doing the things she has listed in the book.
Take the sparkling out of Korea and expose korea for it's blatant lies and manipulation. She does things for Korea to look good and they turn around and treat he like a second class citizen.
I for one understand why she did it.

Good on her! MAybe some shallow Koreans can think before they open their stupid mouths!
Daegudavid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a book that was released in Germany and revealed to the Korean public by an angry Korean blogger... It's hardly going to make Koreans sit up and think, "Maybe we should be a little nicer to those dirty foreigners!"

If Koreans were going to change, they'd heed the advice of the tourism research that shows Korea ranked among the lowest places in terms of friendliness and openness to visitors.

Also, I love how people here are so opposed to freedom of speech, opinions, and anything to do with truth.
ytuque

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfmanhalfbiscuit wrote:
Everyday I see girls with skirts too short trying to make their way up the subway steps, but they're not contorting themselves or doing anything ridiculous, just tucking their purse or bag behind them, or if they're with a friend, walking in front of the friend.

I have seen this many times before, but I just assumed they were making it more difficult for men to grope them or take a picture up their skirts.
eamo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ytuque wrote:
halfmanhalfbiscuit wrote:
Everyday I see girls with skirts too short trying to make their way up the subway steps, but they're not contorting themselves or doing anything ridiculous, just tucking their purse or bag behind them, or if they're with a friend, walking in front of the friend.

I have seen this many times before, but I just assumed they were making it more difficult for men to grope them or take a picture up their skirts.

One day I was heading for the subway stairs and this girl was walking in front of me. She gave me a quick look and decided I must be a foreign devil perv, so she goes up the stairs with her handbag over her arse, BUT SHE WAS WEARING JEANS!!
Darkray16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red_devil wrote:
Based on her comments in the book she does come off as being overly negative, narrow minded, and makes very broad generalizations some of which border on racist. I feel sorry for Germans who have her as the German "representation" in Korea. She's like the German version of Paris Hilton.

Quote:
“Korean girls are obsessed with keeping up with the popular trend of time and therefore they predominantly wear mini-skirts. But then, when they walk up the stairways in the subway station, they make every possible pretentious effort to hide their exposed bodies. I don’t understand why they even wear mini-skirts from the start.”

Exaggerated, misleading, dramatic, negative.

The reality is girls do not "make every possible pretentious effort to hide their exposed bodies". What they do is put their purse/shopping bag behind their butt so that they're not exposing their panties to people below. That's not "pretentious" or "making every possible effort"...that's just common decency and manners.

Quote:
In the book, Hohleiter complained that Korea is a difficult place for a vegetarian to live, how her Korean boyfriend doesn’t pay enough attention to her, and that the crowded Korean subway reminded her of a group of mice, packed in a small space.

How is Korea difficult for a vegetarian? I think it's quite easy, much easier than many other countries. I can name at least 20 different dishes (not including the 100's of side dishes) that are vegetarian. How does a crowded subway reflect or say ANYTHING about Korea? That it has a high population density? So does Japan, so does New York, so does a ton of other countries. She's a tool and it's ignorant people like her that are in the public eye that give "foreigners" a bad name in Korea.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Could you pm me with some of the foods? My doctor recently said I have to seriously cut back on all types of meat(no fish, chicken, seafood, red meat). The only things I could think of was kimbap w/o the ham and cheap bibimbap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: