Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chat With Beauties girl in hot water over book dissing Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkang0202

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misuda girls are full of crap. Anyone catch that episode where they bashed foreign guys with Korean girls?
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkang0202 wrote:
Misuda girls are full of crap. Anyone catch that episode where they bashed foreign guys with Korean girls?

Well, I believe they made a claim (I don't watch the show) about how some good looking girls are with not so good looking guys, which is generally not true. Anyway, what if a Korean girl likes a particular Western guy for his personality just as many do back home. What's wrong with that? That's a superficial comment to make. I am an average looking guy, and some think I am handsome and some don't. I have dated average and very beautiful looking women before. Who cares?

Anyway, why should we care what opinions some foreign women or men have? I have a problem with the show because it parades Western women on TV. Sure, we parade women at home, but not based on their ethnicity. Still, there may be something positive to having foreign women speaking in Korean on TV. I think they should add at least some foreign men on there who speak good Korean. If they did so, I would object less to the show.
JohnnyEngrish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bothers me the most is that the little flag in front of their name represents my country and theirs. I can't believe that she would say some of the things about her countrymen without thinking about the repurcussions it might have.

Saying 'all foreigners are sleazy bastards who use their status in the country to get the *beep*", means everytime I meet some Korean and they say "where are you from?" and I say "New Zealand", it means that the last thing that she said pops into their little head and gets branded with her irrational comment about New Zealanders....

Be an ambassador for your country for christsake!!
jonah47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Generalizations? Reply with quote

I have never seen such a sensitive group of people. Accept people for who they are and move on with the important things in your life. Worrying about what someone says about you on a subway is absurd. I have met friendly and unfriendly people, courteous and rude, short and tall. Come to think of it I can say the same thing about the school I work at here in the US.
Whistleblower

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That show is a waste of time. Some Koreans are too nationalistic sometimes. I have had an ear bashing from the missus about posting something negative about Korea on Facebook. I also post negative news headlines about the UK.
Sakamoto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkang0202 wrote:

They did not bash them. They pointed out, quite correctly, that even those who are losers back home still do quite well in Korea. That is true: just being white is enough to get all the in-out/in-out you could ever want in Korea. The real problem is that the lucky bums would rather believe that they do better in Korea because the women back home can't see that they are obviously superior men, whereas the Korean wonem can. So there feelings are hurt at the mention that even a three-headed guy would be banging like crazy provided he was white.
crossmr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakamoto wrote:

That is true: just being white is enough to get all the in-out/in-out you could ever want in Korea.
No its not. But just being foreign is enough to get them on TV and labeled a "beauty".
Being white might give you a chance with certain girls, but they aren't going to date you long term unless you have something to provide them. The big difference is when it comes to choosing a long-term dating/marriage partner, Korean girls are much more willing to take a guy who is less than handsome if he has a good personality and a future.

Without the future you're not getting anyone, without the personality you might get the odd girl if the future is really really good.
stevieg4ever

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always found it disturbing that this is the most productive thing they can produce involving foreigners.

Rather than produce shows that illustrate how foreigners are having a positive influence in the country or, just perhaps, how some people here encounter difficult situations, they have a show where they parade a bunch of made up women doing sweet fa.
stevieg4ever

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would question whether this is true in any country (bar maybe the Philipines or Thailand, for very different reasons), much less Korea.

Sakamoto wrote:
pkang0202 wrote:

They did not bash them. They pointed out, quite correctly, that even those who are losers back home still do quite well in Korea. That is true: just being white is enough to get all the in-out/in-out you could ever want in Korea. The real problem is that the lucky bums would rather believe that they do better in Korea because the women back home can't see that they are obviously superior men, whereas the Korean wonem can. So there feelings are hurt at the mention that even a three-headed guy would be banging like crazy provided he was white.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

red_devil wrote:
Based on her comments in the book she does come off as being overly negative, narrow minded, and makes very broad generalizations some of which border on racist. I feel sorry for Germans who have her as the German "representation" in Korea. She's like the German version of Paris Hilton.

You mean, "Based on the comments cherry-picked by a Korean in Germany she comes off..."

Comments by actual Germans have been the opposite. They have said her book is mostly positive and the comments chosen were some of the few negative ones. As I said, cherry-picked. How dare she say ANYTHING negative about Korea after saying all those (scripted) positive things on TV!

Last edited by Young FRANKenstein on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
giraffe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really understood why people bash these soo called losers back home who are pretty successful with work and girls in korea? Whats the point? Shouldnt people be happy that they found a niche where they can thrive?
( Granted i know westerners in korea that are just plain jerks and asshat douchebags but the number of decent foreign guys outnumber these douchebags) Soo lets say there was a large amount of these decent ( not soo attractive, look like geeks ) foreigners who couldnt get a job back home or even a girlfriend is it soo wrong for them to come to korea where they know they could have a decent social/work life? Then you have average looking girls who go on a show and announce to the world how ugly/ losers these guys are back home? How does that make any sense. 99% of the girls on that show would never be on tv in their own home country. Talk about ironic....
Someone should make a show about these girls in their own homecountry and call them losers for having to go a a different country to try to be a mini celebrity cuz they couldnt make it in their own country. Honestly does it make them look better by talking baddly about foreign men in korea? Soo based on this show the concensus is that most foreign guys are losers back home , they come to korea to take advantage of korean women and that Foreign korean girls who come to korea are better and more genuine? The whole situation is one big joke. I sure hope this show is scripted...

Personally i find the show painful to watch.

Last edited by giraffe on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total
crossmr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whats the point? Shouldnt people be happy that found a niche where they can thrive?

Did you ever socialize with society in general when you were in the west?
giraffe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crossmr wrote:
Quote:
Whats the point? Shouldnt people be happy that found a niche where they can thrive?

Did you ever socialize with society in general when you were in the west?

I get what you're saying but seriously whats the big deal? Jaleousy? They dont like that what they would label ( in their opinion) a loser back home is successful? A geek cant have a pretty girl friend? Is something that has to do with the stereotype that Asian girls subordinate easy to control even for a loser? Im just wondering what drives people to view it that way? Why would it bother them soo much for them to bring it up on tv? do they lose anything if korean girls wants to be with these losers?
Chambertin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember this is a country that only recently learned about a free vote. The generations of oppression only fuel the fire for political abuse per any scapegoat and fear based culture.

Honestly Korea is beautiful but it has become little America. It is run by fear and popularity. If you donít have one of those two better hope you got money. Still lacking? Then you work hard and better believe the TV, as It is created to make you feel better and run the government way to make sure that your hard work and or poverty is the reason why Korea is better than all. Any problem is the cause or recourse of evil foreign entities.

If you are American and donít see how much this parallels our culture then ďOh my godĒ as they love to say here.

Letís face it Japan succeeded in copying what someone else created and then perfecting the manufacturing process, Korea perfected copying the mass media BS and torrid dictatorships until recently. Therefore much of that culture persists in the media and outside of the reality most people enjoy. Remember that Lotte is a Japanese company sucking the blood of Korea. KeK.

The closer to the truth, the more the government must resist.
For holy crappers just look at the funeral they just had. I really thought I was watching 1970ís USSR reels for a couple mins, only to figure out this was happening almost real time.

Thatís just my 수십원.
giraffe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason im asking is because My wife is korean and by their logic , that automatically puts me in the category of being a white loser english teacher with an asian fetish who couldnt get a job back home or a girlfriend. At first glance thats what most people would think. And no matter what i tell them they probably wouldnt think otherwise when in reality im pretty much the opposite of what the general concensus is by their logic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: