Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning to drive in Korea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
circadian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Learning to drive in Korea Reply with quote

I'm moving to Korea soon, I haven't had the time or money to learn to drive and do my test (anyone in UK or Ireland will know how bloody expensive this is). So I'm considering learning to drive in Korea and do my test there (the licence is interchangable with one in the EU, as is the no claims bonus earned on your insurance with most companies). I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through this process and how to go about it. I also have heard the horror stories of driving there but it can't be any worse than the roads in Ireland where people overtake on a blind corner at 90mph.

Thanks!
hwarangi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learnt to drive in Korea. I got my licence there and I'd never had a licence before.

I went to a driving 'academy'. I think it was around 500,000 won all up.

For two weeks you practice in a little course at the driving school, then you take the written test at the driving licence place (available in English), then once you have that you practice on the road for two weeks.

Then you take your test at the driving school.

Ummm, I cant say I would recommend it to anyone, nor discourage anyone from doing that.

I HAD to learn to drive for a job. I also speak Korean, so it was a satisfactory option for me.

However, even though I drove for 2 years in Korea, I would not feel comfortable driving in the UK/ Aus./ Europe.

I dont feel I learnt safe and defensive driving techniques.

If I ever want to drive in another country, I will take a few extra lessons and sit that country's test.
Whistleblower

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving in Korea is a death wish.
Forward Observer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking home some Korean bad driving habits would get you killed where I'm from. Very Happy
dc'79

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to the UK with a ROK driver's license and I was permitted to drive with it for a year. I'm not sure how it is for the locals with foreign licenses, but for me (American) I had to have a UK license by year's end.

I've only driven in England so far, but I can't imagine Ireland being that much worse. Korea is consistently ranked with having one of the highest car accident rates in the world.

If it was me, I'd wait to go back to the UK to get your driver's license. You are most likely going to have to take the UK test anyway. And the stuff you learn from the Korean driving instructors will have to be totally unlearnt. I've known plenty of people who took the driving lessons in Korea...and it was always shocking the lack of basic driving knowledge. I've literally had to reteach some of my ex gf's how to drive properly.
circadian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, for UK and Irish residents you would probably have a year to transfer the licence to the relevant one but you wouldn't need to take the test. I would learn here if I had the time and money but I'll be heading off very soon and would like to be able to move around Korea by myself, so I guess I'll give the lessons and test a shot. If I'm not confident of what I've learned then I probably won't bother driving and get a few lessons at home anytime I go for a holiday.
PeteJB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been thinking about taking driving lessons in Korea, so we'll have to trade stories Razz
circadian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're already there I'd say you'd be doing it before me, I'd love to know how you get on. Think you have to wait 6 months before you can do it.
cruisemonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning to drive in Korea is oxymoronic.
Hyeon Een

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I was driving with my then girlfriend I did a shoulder-check (looked over my shoulder to see if there was a vehicle in the mirror's blind spot) only to have her suddenly scream in panic. I freaked out and glanced around wildly looking for trucks/cars which might be about to cause our sudden death. Nothing to be seen. It turns out that shoulderchecking is regarded as TERRIBLY dangerous in Korea and my girlfriend was freaked out that we were going to crash and die because of my reckless behaviour.

In Korea it is a failable offense to look over your shoulder when taking the test. In the UK it's a failable offense to NOT look over your shoulder when takin the test. Interesting how these things differ.
Grantasmagoria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather take a skydiving course. And I'm scared of heights.
Proustian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to take the test and get my license. Watching downloaded copies of Top Gear have me psyched up for wanting to hit the road in a car or on a bike.
The first step is the written test on a multi media screen, I believe. There is an English handbook available so I am going in to get a copy today.

I think the hassle and expense will be worth it if I can get out of town on the weekends and drive up the coast.
timolein23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone reccomend a good driving school in the seoul area?

I had maybe 15 lessons in england but never got round to taking the test. If I moved back to england would I need to take the english test before a year as suggested here?

My korean speaking skills are not bad but an English speaking instructor would be a lot more comforting.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove a lot in Europe (on an international licence). Some countries are better than others. In general though, I'd say that Korea is worse than most of Europe, particularly Seoul. The smaller cities don't seem to be as bad, but that's probably just because the roads there aren't as congested. There are worse countries for driving than Korea, but few of them are developed countries. So, if you are hoping that driving in Korea will prepare you for driving in Ireland.... be careful.

If you are getting the licence because you want to drive while you're here, then go for it. If you are taking it because you want to get a licence and it's too expensive in Ireland, be warned that you're not going to learn good driving skills here. If you just want a cheap licence, go to somewhere in Eastern Europe. You can choose from a variety of EU states that have very cheap driving lessons and examination fees. Get your licence there and then go back to Ireland. I'm sure you'll have a much easier time getting that converted to an Irish licence than something from Korea. I'm not saying that Eastern Europeans drive well (they don't) but it's closer, cheaper, and more likely to be converted to an Irish licence (check with the ministry of transport to be sure on that one). And a big plus, while you're in East Europe, you can buy a cheap Lada or Skoda and legally bring it back to Ireland and drive it. Most West European countries (and I presume Ireland to be the same) would not even let most of those cars pass the emissions tests. Most of East Europe still allows Euro Zero cars to be registered and driven on the road.

In short, if you just wan to drive HERE, get the licence. If you just want a cheap licence, don't get it here.

Last edited by Troglodyte on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of "just getting a licence to drive around Korea", does anyone know the procedure for getting a motorbike licence here?

Are there different categories of licence based on engine size?

Does Korea use the graduated level system?

Are bikes allowed on the highways here? I can't recall ever seeing a bike on the highways here. But then again, most of the bikes I've seen here are under 250cc.

Can anyone recommend a Korean bike that's good for day trips?

I already have a foreign licence so I don't need to learn to ride. I just want to get the licence so that I can legally go for a ride here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: