Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kusang&Shingal Chungchul Eng Junior School in Yongin Cit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clutch Cargo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Kusang&Shingal Chungchul Eng Junior School in Yongin Cit Reply with quote

Hi,
Can anyone help me to build a better picture of this school? It is part of a chain of 200 Jungchul language schools in Korea. Just imagine that I've been offered a postion there but know nothing about it Question
Also, has anyone lived in Yongin city? If so, the same deal as above would help heaps.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yongin? Well, I often see parts of it when I'm taking the bus between Suwon and Cheonan. It doesn't look particularly special...just another city here.

It's relatively close to Seoul, though. I'm not sure if there are any direct busses, but there should be. Also, Suwon's not terribly far off, and is a good substitute for Seoul, overall.

No idea about the school, sorry.
thinker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jung chul has no resources for the native english teachers, no program, no books~they just want you to use the korean teachers books and such~the korean teachers teach via TV and remote, and don't have to know much english to do that~ Confused
Zandie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Jung Chul Reply with quote

I work for a Jung Chul school near Changwon. I imagine most branches are different. The chain is currently printing books that are all in English, but so far only have the first 2 books of Level 1 and 2 available. (Well that is all we have at our school so far).

The Korean teachers do a lot of button pushing on their computer remote controls - but as the foreign teacher I doubt you'd be expected to use the computer. After all, as a native speaker you're the real thing. Shocked

However at my school, they expect me to use the books for at least part of the lesson and so long as I make a token effort with the book, I can then teach whatever I like - which are usually activities related to whatever they're learning from the book, but in my own teaching style.

The amount of teaching I have had to base on their books during lessons has varied throughout my year here. At first I didn't have to use the Jung Chul books at all, but then the director' wife worried that the students wouldn't bother bringing their books to my classes (and stop buying the books??). So they said I had to start teaching only from the books. The books are OK - not the greatest as they get a bit boring after a while, so I came up with the current compromise.

Whatever school you go to, you should discuss in depth how the director expects you to teach, what with.........blah blah blah. BUT expect the director to change their mind a few times. The owners of most hogwans are usually business people - not educators. So have a clear idea of how you want to teach and seem(!) confident about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: