Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Martial Arts Sticky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know where the BJJ tourney is this weekend? Oct. 25-26??
roadwork

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc_ido wrote:
Aikido (Seoul)

The central dojo for Aikido in Korea is in Sinchon (line 2) - go out exit 5 and it's round the back of the Woori Bank building. The website (with English!) is:

http://aikido.co.kr/

Most classes are taught by Yoon Ik-Am, who was a student of Usuo Kobayashi in Japan.

Has anyone been to this school and worked out there? I'm considering it myself.
DWAEJIMORIGUKBAP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Karate Kid 2 last night and after I was so pumped I did some kicks in front of the mirror.
TK421

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: MUAY THAI IN BUSAN??? Reply with quote

I am looking for places that teach Muay Thai in Busan, I'm heading over there in December. Anyone know a good place to go? Or where I should look to find places that teach it? Also, would I need anything specific as a beginner? I'm a girl so I'm not sure what I'd need but I'd like to buy it first before I leave to avoid having to buy it once I get to Korea (I heard it's expensive). I know Muay Thai probably isn't that girl-friendly...I really, really want to learn it but should I be looking into something else more mainstream like Taekwondo?
BrassMonkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK421

Can't help you with gyms in Busan. Try this link http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f61/ then click on the Korean MMA forum. I imagine someone on there will be able to point you in the right direction for Muay Thai in Busan (or BJJ or MMA for that matter).

There are definitely woman training in Muay Thai in Korea. Whilst you'll be a minority as a woman you won't be a oddity or anything. Seriously, one of my corner "men" when I was fighting in Korea was a woman. Just do it!

Training gear: Just rock up for your first lesson in clothes you can move comfortably in. If the gym has hardwood floors (which it probably won't, most are matted) think about taping your feet with blister tape. Shuffling around on them will cause blisters in odd places when your feet aren't used to it.

If you enjoy your first lesson, get yourself some hand-wraps sooner rather than later. Chances are your gym will sell them. My guess is most of the other stuff will be provided but you may need to invest in your own gloves/gear at some point. Starting out, just turn up in comfy exercise clothes.

All the best with your training!
doc_ido

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadwork wrote:
Has anyone been to this school and worked out there? I'm considering it myself.

I go there three times a week - in my experience, the morning classes are fairly intense (mentally, if not always physically) as only a few students will turn out at 6:50 am and it's just them and Yoon Sensei; the 5 pm and 9 pm evening classes are more geared to beginners and not always taught by Yoon Sensei; the 7 pm evening classes are pretty much what you make of them as there are lots of students on the mat and you can do as much or as little as you want.
Joffu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Muay Thai gym at Geumjeong Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

For anyone in the Anyang/Gunpo area, I tried out the Muay Thai gym right outside Geumjong station tonight. As someone with no striking experience and very little Korean, I thought it was fantastic. It's relatively quiet, so my coworker and I basically had private lessons from the instructor this evening to get us started. It's open 2 - 11 on weekdays only, though apparently if you ask, the instructor will open it at other times as well. Go in and train anytime you want; no formalized classes that I could determine, but again, the instructor was very helpful and told us he will instruct us whenever we show. He also made quite an effort to communicate in English where he could.

It was 90k a month and he's willing to order any equipment you need on your behalf. (We ordered some thai boxing shorts for 30k a pair)

Still a little short on more specifics of the gym (his master, even his name) but so far it's been a really positive experience.
ATlasIAm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet thanks for the info
Mvan3030

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where a judo, wrestling, sambo, or bjj school is in or near Suwon?
oldsurly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of you know of any Hapkido Dojangs in Yongsan, Itaewon or Itaewon's surrounding area? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Preferably under the Korean Traditional Hapkido Federation, not the International Hapkido Federation.
dirving

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Muay Thai, Kickboxing, or Kyokushin Karate In Daejeon Area Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anybody know of a Muay Thai, Kickboxing, or Kyokushin Karate gym/Dojang in or around the Daejeon City area?
smee18

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for good Chinese martial arts in Seoul. Something with short stances and powerful striking ... tong long, real martial Taiji ... not into posey wushu stuff.
contacts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking to head korea in the next month or two and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on the type of fighting gyms in the Seoul area.

How common are actual tournaments and matches? Is it possible for a foreigner to compete in either a bjj or a judo style event? I've been wrestling/MMA training for many years and would love to have a goal like that to train for. Are there certain gyms that specialize in this?

Also, what type of schedule do most bjj (or judo, but preferably bjj) have? Not that its a deal breaker, but should I look for more of a 9-6 or 2-10 class schedule? thanks for any help
speakyword

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Muay Thai, Kickboxing, or Kyokushin Karate In Daejeon Ar Reply with quote

dirving wrote:
Hello,

Does anybody know of a Muay Thai, Kickboxing, or Kyokushin Karate gym/Dojang in or around the Daejeon City area?

I really want to know about Muay Thai/kickboxing in Daejeon too. I will be there in mid January.
redaxe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Muay Thai, Kickboxing, or Kyokushin Karate In Daejeon Ar Reply with quote

speakyword wrote:
dirving wrote:
Hello,

I really want to know about Muay Thai/kickboxing in Daejeon too. I will be there in mid January.

There's an MMA gym in Daejeon: http://www.daejeonmma.com/

They might be a little more BJJ/grappling oriented but as an MMA gym they're certain to have kickboxing instruction as well. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 3 of 35

Jump to: