Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Martial Arts Sticky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redaxe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contacts wrote:
looking to head korea in the next month or two and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on the type of fighting gyms in the Seoul area.

How common are actual tournaments and matches? Is it possible for a foreigner to compete in either a bjj or a judo style event? I've been wrestling/MMA training for many years and would love to have a goal like that to train for. Are there certain gyms that specialize in this?

Also, what type of schedule do most bjj (or judo, but preferably bjj) have? Not that its a deal breaker, but should I look for more of a 9-6 or 2-10 class schedule? thanks for any help

Check out my post at the beginning of the thread, those are all of the BJJ and MMA gyms I know of in the country. If you're anywhere near Sinchon and interested in gi BJJ I would highly recommend the BJJ academy where I train, as we have quality instruction and are very foreigner/English-friendly: http://bjj.co.kr/

If you're more into no-gi grappling or MMA though, several of the gyms in my list focus on that more.

I just competed in a BJJ tournament yesterday in Bucheon. There were probably like 75-100 competitors there, and maybe a dozen were foreigners. Both gi and no-gi. KBJJC (http://kbjjc.com) hosts the tournaments, and I heard the next one will be in February or March. PM me if you'd like any more info and good luck finding a place to train!
Silk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asian sensation wrote:
Misher- I go to a Muay Thai gym in Ahyeon, it is one stop after Ehwa on line 2.

It's exit 2 if I remember, I go there currently, I really like the trainer and the students, which makes the whole experience positive.

For all beginners (like me) who are looking to increase their flexibility, I strongly recommond you read articles from Thomas Kurtz on dynamic stretching. You can read a number of them at this link, which are tailored specifically to stretching for high(er) kicks.

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/get_articles.php?cat=Stretching
Simulacra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm sure there are Tang Su Do schools in Korea (being a Korean Martial Art and all), but I was wondering if there was an English friendly school that anyone knows of in the Seoul area.
redaxe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here do Judo/Yoodo?

I'm a BJJ guy but I really want to work on my Judo throws and I'm not getting enough takedown practice in my BJJ class.

Can someone tell me what is the best Judo club in west-central Seoul? I live in Yeouido so anything in the vicinity of Mapo-gu/Sinchon area or Youngdeungpo-gu area would be perfect. Has anyone tried a Judo club in this area and had a good experience? Looking for a place that has good solid Judo but is open to foreigners who have limited experience. Thanks!
verve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend any MMA, BJJ or similar school in the Bundang area? I haven't found any Sad

Appreciate it!
contacts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redaxe wrote:
contacts wrote:
looking to head korea in the next month or two and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on the type of fighting gyms in the Seoul area.

How common are actual tournaments and matches? Is it possible for a foreigner to compete in either a bjj or a judo style event? I've been wrestling/MMA training for many years and would love to have a goal like that to train for. Are there certain gyms that specialize in this?

Also, what type of schedule do most bjj (or judo, but preferably bjj) have? Not that its a deal breaker, but should I look for more of a 9-6 or 2-10 class schedule? thanks for any help

Check out my post at the beginning of the thread, those are all of the BJJ and MMA gyms I know of in the country. If you're anywhere near Sinchon and interested in gi BJJ I would highly recommend the BJJ academy where I train, as we have quality instruction and are very foreigner/English-friendly: http://bjj.co.kr/

If you're more into no-gi grappling or MMA though, several of the gyms in my list focus on that more.

I just competed in a BJJ tournament yesterday in Bucheon. There were probably like 75-100 competitors there, and maybe a dozen were foreigners. Both gi and no-gi. KBJJC (http://kbjjc.com) hosts the tournaments, and I heard the next one will be in February or March. PM me if you'd like any more info and good luck finding a place to train!

Cool, thanks sounds great. Not sure where my contract will send me yet, just got an offer from incheon, but if I end up in Seoul Ill shoot you a Pm.
redaxe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contacts wrote:
redaxe wrote:
contacts wrote:

Cool, thanks sounds great. Not sure where my contract will send me yet, just got an offer from incheon, but if I end up in Seoul Ill shoot you a Pm.

If you end up in Incheon, you should definitely train with Kang Sung-shil at Action-Reaction, he is very good. Link: http://www.ttbjj.co.kr/english/english01.html
CowboyNinja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy,

I am new to Korea and looking to find an Hapkido school for adults in the Ansan area. I have already found Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu places, but want to experience the culture through a somewhat effective traditional art. I am also looking for Tai-chi or Sambo. I am willing to travel up to 45 minutes for a place. Thanks in advance to any help.

Cheers
njp6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard there's a good hapkido place in Yatap, but I'm unsure exactly where. Anybody have any info on this? Thanks.
jamielives2000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody know of a mma/bjj or boxing gym in Ansan?
CowboyNinja

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a MMA and Jiujitsu place between Gojan and Hundaeup. They have late classes as well. I have not gone yet, but i know a few people who do. There is also a Muay Thai gym very close on the same street.
CowboyNinja

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on the main street that the Suwon Hotel is on.
Xaiko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silk wrote:
asian sensation wrote:
Misher- I go to a Muay Thai gym in Ahyeon, it is one stop after Ehwa on line 2.

It's exit 2 if I remember, I go there currently, I really like the trainer and the students, which makes the whole experience positive.

For all beginners (like me) who are looking to increase their flexibility, I strongly recommond you read articles from Thomas Kurtz on dynamic stretching. You can read a number of them at this link, which are tailored specifically to stretching for high(er) kicks.

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/get_articles.php?cat=Stretching

Yea exit 2. I start my first day here on monday.
shatterstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I just recently moved to Korea. Working as a contractor here at the yongsan army base(southern seoul just before the han river/right by the inchon subway station).

I'm looking for an MMA place or a place that has some sort of BJJ and other martial art mix. I have only done no-gi in BJJ but don't have a problem to go to a GI school if I have to. I prefer an MMA place but any reputable school will work.

A couple of places I would be interested in other than BJJ would be any kind of striking/muay thai, wrestling, judo, etc.

I know that's kind of a big list but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Scaggs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Korean Top Team Reply with quote

Korean Top Team is an MMA gym that focuses on grappling and jiu-jitsu. Striking is also practiced. Amateur classes are M-F 11:00 AM or 7:00 PM. The pros train at 3:30 PM, but you are welcome to join them if you want a more intense session.

The gym right outside of Children's Grand Park subway station on Line 7.

The owner/head coach speaks pretty good English and there are a fair number of foreigners there on the regular.

I've been going for maybe 8 months or so, usually 3 times a week. If you are interested, don't hesitate to stop in and check things out. The environments is very welcoming--everyone is very friendly and respectful. No meatheads. =D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 4 of 35

Jump to: