Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Martial Arts Sticky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fermentation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoultee wrote:

I only say that because today judo is lighter on groundwork than the old days because of the direction the sport has gone in. So if you want to really learn the ground game, you may as well go for BJJ. In judo it will take a long time to learn the ground work. I'm a 3rd dan in judo and though it only took me a couple months to get blue in BJJ, I am outclassed on the ground against people with far less years under their belt.

Oh I see. If you're goal is to become better at the ground game, then I agree. Still, you must school them standing.

I'll add that I had the opportunity to train with guys who trained with the national Judo team and from my experience, those guys were really good at takedown to submission transitions. My seoi nage's been countered with a clock choke so many times it wasn't even funny.
seoultee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
seoultee wrote:

I only say that because today judo is lighter on groundwork than the old days because of the direction the sport has gone in. So if you want to really learn the ground game, you may as well go for BJJ. In judo it will take a long time to learn the ground work. I'm a 3rd dan in judo and though it only took me a couple months to get blue in BJJ, I am outclassed on the ground against people with far less years under their belt.

Oh I see. If you're goal is to become better at the ground game, then I agree. Still, you must school them standing.

I'll add that I had the opportunity to train with guys who trained with the national Judo team and from my experience, those guys were really good at takedown to submission transitions. My seoi nage's been countered with a clock choke so many times it wasn't even funny.

Also, a lot depends on what your goals are. If you want to be the best in either, you should choose one and train in that one almost exclusively. Each sport (judo BJJ) is unique in it's goals and how to win. If you want to be an Olympian, you should train specifically for that. Spending too much time on newaza will take away from being good at what is required to win at that game. The same is true for BJJ. You should train with BJJ coaches and learn the amount of takedowns necessary to be a champion. It's impossible to be the best at both standing and ground. Though, Leo Leite comes pretty close.
seoultee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of judo lol...I went to a huge tournament this past weekend and took some vid clips of it. It was a great experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Ker4MPj8I
mkim680

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: chinese internal martial arts Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in learning hsing yi, tai chi, or ba gua you can email me at [email protected] The teacher I am learning from is accepting new students and is a highly proficient practitioner in the these three arts.

thanks,
Mark
KNet229

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Boxing Lessons Reply with quote

Hi, I wanted to take boxing lessons/classes (preferably in English) around the Itaewon or Hongdae area (or in-between).

Can anyone recommend a place or post some links?

Thanks!
fermentation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxing Lessons Reply with quote

KNet229 wrote:
Hi, I wanted to take boxing lessons/classes (preferably in English) around the Itaewon or Hongdae area (or in-between).

Can anyone recommend a place or post some links?

Thanks!

Check out page 30 of this thread bro. Although it ain't in English
seoultee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend an aikido school in Busan?
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the weekend of July 27-29, The Daegu Capoeira Cooperative in conjunction with Capoeira Busan has organized a Summer Unity Capoeira Caravan to Seoul.

During the trip, we have a packed schedule planned for training with the 3 Capoeira groups in Seoul at various times and locations. Anyone wishing to get a taste of Capoeira is more than welcome to attend, even if having never tried Capoeira before. Anyone of any skill level is welcome and encouraged to join us for the fun. Events will include Capoeira Regional training, Capoeira Angola training, Capoeira Music training, several Capoeira events/circles (rodas) with different groups, and an evening out Saturday for dinner/drinking with our friends in Seoul. Please see our event page for more info and itinerary~

https://www.facebook.com/events/395697423808862/
seoultee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to announce I finally found a new place to train. It's Team MAD MMA in Busan where Kim DOng Hyun from the UFC trains. Psyched. Here is a blog I wrote about it.

http://tommyreddragon.blogspot.kr/2012/07/training-at-team-mad-mma-in-busan.html
lysekend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoultee wrote:
I am happy to announce I finally found a new place to train. It's Team MAD MMA in Busan where Kim DOng Hyun from the UFC trains. Psyched. Here is a blog I wrote about it.

http://tommyreddragon.blogspot.kr/2012/07/training-at-team-mad-mma-in-busan.html

Are the classes taught in English or Korean?
gradesofshey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I've skimmed most of this thread and didn't see any information regarding kickboxing or muay thai near Eungam station (in Eunpyeong-Gu) Seoul. Anyone know of any gyms close by this area?

As a side note, I have a strong background in karate and want to be well rounded, so I'll consider any style that is close to Eungam (preferably not TKD because of its strong resemblance to karate). The only other gym I was able to run across in my area is TNT BJJ at Saejol station.
fermentation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gradesofshey wrote:
Hello, I've skimmed most of this thread and didn't see any information regarding kickboxing or muay thai near Eungam station (in Eunpyeong-Gu) Seoul. Anyone know of any gyms close by this area?

As a side note, I have a strong background in karate and want to be well rounded, so I'll consider any style that is close to Eungam (preferably not TKD because of its strong resemblance to karate). The only other gym I was able to run across in my area is TNT BJJ at Saejol station.

Type in 응암 킥복싱 or 응암 무에타이 on naver and it show you some gyms on a map. Here's one that's close to the station: http://cafe.daum.net/gnbgym

According to their site, it's teaches kickboxing, kung-fu and wushu. It's 100,000 a month. They also have pics of the gym on the site and personally I would be wary of a "kickboxing" gym that doesn't have a ring and only has a few heavy bags.

There's also an MMA gym near 새절 station. A kickboxing gm and a boxing gym near 불광 station,
gradesofshey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently I was wrong and TNT BJJ is in Gangnam

fermentation wrote:
gradesofshey wrote:

Type in 응암 킥복싱 or 응암 무에타이 on naver and it show you some gyms on a map. Here's one that's close to the station: http://cafe.daum.net/gnbgym

According to their site, it's teaches kickboxing, kung-fu and wushu. It's 100,000 a month. They also have pics of the gym on the site and personally I would be wary of a "kickboxing" gym that doesn't have a ring and only has a few heavy bags.

There's also an MMA gym near 새절 station. A kickboxing gm and a boxing gym near 불광 station,

This is so helpful, thank you so much! Would you be able to post the website for the mma gym at 새절 (or how to search for MMA in hangul)?

I still haven't decided on a style. Have any gym recommendations for this area?
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gradesofshey wrote:
This is so helpful, thank you so much! Would you be able to post the website for the mma gym at 새절 (or how to search for MMA in hangul)?

The thing is that naver maps indicate two MMA places right next to eachother but only one has a site and its not a gym but an MMA Association of some sort. The other place doesn't have a site but naver has reviews on it and apparently it is a gym. So my guess is that the gym is operated by the association.

MMA in english should get you some results, but for Korean, type in 이종격투기 or 격투기.

I don't know anything about the area but if you're not familiar with how to guage a gym's legitimacy, insist in checking it out before making up your mind. Look at the facilities (in my opinion, it absolutely needs to have a ring and obviously bags), see how hard they spar and if they have active fighters.
gradesofshey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
gradesofshey wrote:

The thing is that naver maps indicate two MMA places right next to eachother but only one has a site and its not a gym but an MMA Association of some sort. The other place doesn't have a site but naver has reviews on it and apparently it is a gym. So my guess is that the gym is operated by the association.

MMA in english should get you some results, but for Korean, type in 이종격투기 or 격투기.

I don't know anything about the area but if you're not familiar with how to guage a gym's legitimacy, insist in checking it out before making up your mind. Look at the facilities (in my opinion, it absolutely needs to have a ring and obviously bags), see how hard they spar and if they have active fighters.

Thanks a billion for the information fermentation, it really helps me out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 32 of 35

Jump to: