Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Koreas ridiculous blood money system
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cave Dweller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Koreas ridiculous blood money system Reply with quote

By the (lack of) logic of the system, could I headbutt someone and sue them if I broke my nose or cracked my skull on their hard head?
candy bar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Koreas ridiculous blood money system Reply with quote

Cave Dweller wrote:
By the (lack of) logic of the system, could I headbutt someone and sue them if I broke my nose or cracked my skull on their hard head?

If you are a Korean and he is a foreigner, yes you can.

If you are a foreigner and he his a Korean, no you can't.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Koreas ridiculous blood money system Reply with quote

The sheer unpredicatbility and corruption of the system means that most people are too scared to do anything more than give eachother dirty looks.

To be an alpha male in Korea means honing those passive-agressive one-upmanship skills until you are bitchier than a girls high school.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean having people settle things out of court with financial compensation rather than having a bloated and corrupt legal process that disproportionately affects people of color and discriminates against the poor in terms of lawyers and and bail?

http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-is-all-this-about-blood-money.html
atwood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
You mean having people settle things out of court with financial compensation rather than having a bloated and corrupt legal process that disproportionately affects people of color and discriminates against the poor in terms of lawyers and and bail?

Korea has both. Pick your poison.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Looks legit.
yfb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

So in Korea's system, if I were a rich guy, I could go out and beat the snot out of some random passerby on the street and put them in the hospital. But as long as I pay enough money in compensation, it's ok. Everyone wins: The rich guy can relieve his stress, the target gets a free vacation and money, and the police don't have to do that pesky 'prosecution' thing.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the western system whereby a simple fistfight-so long as nobody is seriously injured- is not viewed as a big deal.

The fact that you might get a bloody nose if you act like an ass prevents all kinds of rude and irritating public behaviour.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
the target gets a free vacation and money

I'd heard that there was a bit of a crackdown--by the insurance companies--on those "nylon patients".
fermentation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely can break into someone's home and be in the legal right if the owner beats you up.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been in a car accident in Korea, but I've heard that you're at least 10% at fault pretty much no matter what. What this means is that if you have an old, cheap car, and you're declared 10% responsible in an accident with a super car (a Lamborghini or something, say), you'll still end up owing money. Potentially a lot.

There aren't a whole lot of cars like Lamborghini around for me to know how they're typically driven in Seoul, but it explains the often seen phenomenon of inconsiderate behaviour by 7-series BMW and S-class Mercedes drivers.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Korea, the rich are innocent and the poor are guilty. Do your homework, and be careful out there!
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is worth a repost. Watch carefully as the initiated alpha knows exactly what to do once he's done his damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7wvscGLoT0
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
This one is worth a repost. Watch carefully as the initiated alpha knows exactly what to do once he's done his damage.

But he has to leave the girl behind.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:

I dunno, maybe the Alpha is oblivious blazer-wearing dude who is so above it he doesn't even have to notice any fight happening directly behind him or get involved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: