Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean "Condo" meaning?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew345

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Korean "Condo" meaning? Reply with quote

What is the difference between a Korean "Condo" and "Apartment"?

It's a bit strange because Korean "Apartment" actually means American "Condo" (a multi-unit building with each individual unit individually owned). So that leaves me wondering what does Condo "콘도" mean to Koreans?

I think it might mean "Time-share" with multiple owners of the same unit?
I stayed in "Condos" a couple of times in Pyeongchang and Seokcho, and they were old, dirty and only about 10% occupied, so they don't seem great.

I am asking because the Korean government will give immediate F-2 visas to people investing enough money in certain areas, and one if these areas is for "Condo development".

Thanks,
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often like a resort time-share.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap hotel room usually with cooking facilities.
Drew345

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to a Korean friend and he said they are single owner, but you can't live in them... They are rented out occasionally. They sound like a terrible investment, who would by such a thing? Well, I'll go look tomorrow anyway.
atwood

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew345 wrote:
I talked to a Korean friend and he said they are single owner, but you can't live in them... They are rented out occasionally. They sound like a terrible investment, who would by such a thing? Well, I'll go look tomorrow anyway.

Time-shares are catching on in Korea; you can purchase hotel rooms, use them for a week or so and then get some type of payment when others book the room.

As for condos, there are a lot of restrictions on owning RE in Korea so buying a condo might be a way around some of that.
Jake_Kim

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condo is of course short for 'condominium', but its meaning went through some transformation as the word came through Japan.
'Condo' is understood exclusively as resort mansions in Korea, with no linkage to residential apartments. 'Investment' in them would rather mean purchase of 'membership' than ownership of equity or a unit itself.
Having a tradable membership has long been more of a 'status' thing than an investment per se, even though in good times the membership itself might have resulted in slight capital gain upon sale to a third party.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: