Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Killjoy Mentality
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: The Killjoy Mentality Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed this in korea? How do you manage to rise above it?

e.g You're having fun with your students, they're loving your classes. Your boss jumps in and says to get back to serious study

or...You're walking down the street happily with your g/f. A couple of ajosshis give death stares. One spits in the pavement, the other pushes in front of you. Ruining the mood.

You stop to take photos of the bridge and beach. Some security guard rushes out to tell you that you can't do that.

I dunno. Is it a crime for a foreigner to have fun in this country?
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that taking pictures on the beach as become taboo because of all the perverts taking pictures of women.
3DR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god
tanklor1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Killjoy Mentality Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:

e.g You're having fun with your students, they're loving your classes. Your boss jumps in and says to get back to serious study

or...You're walking down the street happily with your g/f. A couple of ajosshis give death stares. One spits in the pavement, the other pushes in front of you. Ruining the mood.

You stop to take photos of the bridge and beach. Some security guard rushes out to tell you that you can't do that.

You're new, aren't you?
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Killjoy Mentality Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:

I thought the expression 'smile, nod, ignore, continue' was made in Korea?
Old Painless

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Killjoy Mentality Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Has anyone noticed this in korea? How do you manage to rise above it? I dunno. Is it a crime for a foreigner to have fun in this country?

If you take a careful look, Koreans will killjoy each other as well. By now you're supposed to know that the way you combat them is to ignore them and pretend they don't exist. Giving them the slightest bit of attention just inflates them. Ignoring their existence makes them feel insignificant.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can legislate against jealousy. Laughing

It's human nature to want what they can't have. Therefore, thing to do is to invite the buzzkill to join in the fun. If you're having fun in the class and then told to get serious, ask the the buzzkill to join in the fun. If ajjoshi gives you the death stare then ask him to join the party. If you're on perv-trol then ask the buzzkill to join in. Laughing Your lack of generousity in your times of plenty is what generates jealousy from others. Laughing

Note: there are some structures that are strategic targets for North Korea, so you're forbidden to take photos of them. If you do, then you might be a Nork spy so the NIS will take you in and give you some hairdryer treatment. You'll get your hair washed in toilet bowl, manicure service with toothpicks, pedicure service with pliers. Fun. Laughing
Sesame

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajossis look at you in shame because foreigner/k-girl couples look pathetic like they're both in it just for the physical aspect.

Ive noticed since i got married and tote a kid around those bad looks have turned into smiles because they know we are in love and our kid is proof of it--and not living in lust like you probably are with your below average looking k-girl.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ajossis look at you in shame because foreigner/k-girl couples look pathetic like they're both in it just for the physical aspect.

Ive noticed since i got married and tote a kid around those bad looks have turned into smiles because they know we are in love and our kid is proof of it--and not living in lust like you probably are with your below average looking k-girl.

Is that post even necessary?
Savant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesame wrote:

I think ajeossis stare at you regardless of kids toted around. Your post had merit before you dissed most foreigners' Korean girlfriends as "below-average looking."

Maybe, that ajeossi smiled at you because your kid is ugly and realised that one ugly half-kid is acceptable for keeping the overall race as pure? Just a suggestion! Happy Chuseok!
EZE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesame wrote:

Making my killjoy contribution to the killjoy thread, I'd just like to add that a kid isn't proof of anything other than sex.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd just like to add that a kid isn't proof of anything other than sex

Well played.
Sesame

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Quote:

Well played.

Fail. Coupled with two wedding rings, a kid in the mix PROVES that the couple is in love and committed. As far as anyone knows the OP and his whor.e k-gf is in it for lust, and the ajussis stare them down as a JUSTIFIED result.
cj1976

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesame wrote:
trueblue wrote:
Quote:

Well played.

Fail. Coupled with two wedding rings, a kid in the mix PROVES that the couple is in love and committed. As far as anyone knows the OP and his whor.e k-gf is in it for lust, and the ajussis stare them down as a JUSTIFIED result.

Aren't most young couples quite lusty - especially at the start of a relationship?. A strong physical attraction is probably a sign of a healthy relationship.
cj1976

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesame wrote:
trueblue wrote:
Quote:

Well played.

Aren't most young couples quite lusty - especially at the start of a relationship?. A strong physical attraction is probably a sign of a healthy relationship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: