Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need to pay duty to bring used goods to Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cj1976

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Do I need to pay duty to bring used goods to Korea? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about buying a used guitar in England and bringing it back to Korea. Does anyone know if I will have to pay duty?
tardisrider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless they think you're going to sell it--if it's just your personal property then it should be okay.
cj1976

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tardisrider wrote:
Not unless they think you're going to sell it--if it's just your personal property then it should be okay.

Good to know, thanks. How about buying stuff new then bringing it back?
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
tardisrider wrote:

If it's still in the package and sealed, you'll get hit.
cj1976

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
tardisrider wrote:

That is the only criteria? Guitars don't usually come sealed, but I will remove all tags and stickers etc. Basically, I am in the market for a quality guitar but I don't want to pay the exorbitant markup that Korean dealers add on.
Would be cheaper to a new guitar in the UK because my wife can get the VAT refunded.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:

No, you won't.

Your duty free allowance is $400 per trip.

As a foreigner items in your possession for your PERSONAL use that will NOT be resold or left in Korea upon your departure (ie: not imported) are NOT subject to import tax, VAT or duty.

There are some exceptions (like cars) or people on an F5 (permanent resident) but most personal items like computers, electronics, musical equipment, photographic equipment, etc fall under the exemption (not imported).

cj1976

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
optik404 wrote:

No, you won't.

As a foreigner, items in your possession for your PERSONAL use that will NOT be resold or left in Korea upon your departure (ie: not imported) are NOT subject to import tax, VAT or duty.

There are some exceptions (like cars) but most personal items like computers, electronics, musical equipment, etc fall under the exempt items list.

So does that mean I can buy a $1500 guitar and not worry about duty when I get back to Korea?
cj1976

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find all this confusing. The Korean customs website doesn't make it very clear. My friend recently purchased a used guitar from Japan and was hit with 20% tax. That was shipped in rather than physically brought through customs.
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
optik404 wrote:

No, you won't.

As a foreigner items in your possession for your PERSONAL use that will NOT be resold or left in Korea upon your departure (ie: not imported) are NOT subject to import tax, VAT or duty.

There are some exceptions (like cars) or people on an F5 (permanent resident) but most personal items like computers, electronics, musical equipment, photographic equipment, etc fall under the exemption (not imported).

I stand corrected. So anything over 400 will be subject to tax?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
optik404 wrote:

No, you won't.

If it is "personal belongings" AND you bring it in with you on arrival AND you will take it with you when you leave Korea then it is exempt.
(It you re-sell it then it is taxable and subject to proof of duty paid.)

If it is imported to stay AND under $400 AND brought in with you then it qualifies as duty free.

If you SHIP anything over $150 (shipping costs included) it is subject to import taxes.

cj1976 wrote:
I find all this confusing. The Korean customs website doesn't make it very clear. My friend recently purchased a used guitar from Japan and was hit with 20% tax. That was shipped in rather than physically brought through customs.

SHIPPED means "imported" rather than personal goods "in transit".

cj1976

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
optik404 wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
optik404 wrote:

No, you won't.

If it is "personal belongings" AND you bring it in with you on arrival AND you will take it with you when you leave Korea then it is exempt.
(It you re-sell it then it is taxable and subject to proof of duty paid.)

If it is imported to stay AND under $400 AND brought in with you then it qualifies as duty free.

If you SHIP anything over $150 (shipping costs included) it is subject to import taxes.

cj1976 wrote:

SHIPPED means "imported" rather than personal goods "in transit".

You Sir, are a font of invaluable information. I take my hat off to you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: