Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abnormal Summit (비정상회담)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
aq8knyus



Joined: 28 Jul 2010
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Abnormal Summit (비정상회담) Reply with quote

Does anyone watch Abnormal Summit (비정상회담)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyOlkN2wcWE

It has been on for a while now, but one of the recent episodes dealt with the issue of foreigners living in Korea long term and not learning the language. There was also a reference to English teachers and I really liked the comments made by the American and the Belgian about the difficulties of learning Korean as an English teacher.

I used to think like the Turkish guy and the Ghanaian, but I have since mellowed, especially after seeing how obnoxious such an opinion seems when said out loud.

It is a really good show, but I don't know how long it will be around for after they played the Japanese national anthem during the last episode. Sponsors have pulled out and there are now growing calls by angry netizens to cancel the show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wanderkind



Joined: 01 Jan 2012
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got around to watching it yet but I've heard it's pretty good.

Can you explain the Japanese anthem situation?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fox



Joined: 04 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched it, but I've had it mentioned to me. Watching this little clip here, I'm actually inclined to agree with both sides of that strangely intense argument. On the one hand, if you're going to live in Korea long term it makes a lot of sense to learn Korean, and it's entirely understandable when Koreans lament foreigners not bothering to learn the language. On the other hand, working here as an English teacher really can make it hard, and even outside the work place Koreans don't always make it easier. Recently I tried an experiment: some fellow walked up to me in the park and started speaking to me in broken English. I responded in Korean and told him I was a German and that I didn't speak English. His response? To start asking me about German music bands... in English. It was completely baffling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
optik404



Joined: 24 Jun 2008

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the excuse was that if you're an English teacher, you speak English at work all day and because you work, you don't have time to learn Korean? That makes no sense. Just an excuse for the unmotivated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrisinkorea2011



Joined: 16 Jan 2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
Basically the excuse was that if you're an English teacher, you speak English at work all day and because you work, you don't have time to learn Korean? That makes no sense. Just an excuse for the unmotivated.


Gotta agree with optik on this one. Basically even if youre here for only a year or so, it never hurts to learn the language. In my personal opinion ive always told other foreigners who have quips about learning korean that its up to them not to be a lazy ass and study a little if only 10 words a day.

I also dislike the actions and words of the ghana fellow and the other one (cant remember which country he is from) because they both seem like pompous windbags on most of the episodes that Ive seen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicwr2002



Joined: 17 Aug 2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
Basically the excuse was that if you're an English teacher, you speak English at work all day and because you work, you don't have time to learn Korean? That makes no sense. Just an excuse for the unmotivated.


I totally disagree. If you have never learned another language in your life and your first language you start with is Korean, then you are going to have a bad time. Even if you have learned or studied other languages before it will only help you a little. Unless you have studied Japanese, Chinese, Mongolian, or Turkish before it would be extremely difficult to be motivated to learn Korean. It's not just being lazy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wooden nickels



Joined: 23 May 2010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
optik404 wrote:
Basically the excuse was that if you're an English teacher, you speak English at work all day and because you work, you don't have time to learn Korean? That makes no sense. Just an excuse for the unmotivated.


I totally disagree. If you have never learned another language in your life and your first language you start with is Korean, then you are going to have a bad time. Even if you have learned or studied other languages before it will only help you a little. Unless you have studied Japanese, Chinese, Mongolian, or Turkish before it would be extremely difficult to be motivated to learn Korean. It's not just being lazy.


I have put almost no time into studying Korean. I get by with some basics. I'm really happy that I have invested my time into other areas. I definitely don't consider myself lazy, as I put much time and effort into other productive interests. And, yes, I do speak a second language, but it just so happens not to be Korean.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aq8knyus



Joined: 28 Jul 2010
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
I haven't got around to watching it yet but I've heard it's pretty good.

Can you explain the Japanese anthem situation?


They have a Japanese member of the 'G11' and so they played the anthem in the first episode and were heavily rebuked. Then in the last episode they had a Japanese guy replace the other guy and again played the anthem.

The anthem is currently the official anthem of Japan and I believe it was first used as their anthem in 1868. However, during WWII they forced Koreans and Chinese in their empire to learn it and as you can imagine it wasn't a polite request.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/10/511_167137.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aq8knyus



Joined: 28 Jul 2010
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
Basically the excuse was that if you're an English teacher, you speak English at work all day and because you work, you don't have time to learn Korean? That makes no sense. Just an excuse for the unmotivated.


To learn any language you need to speak it as often as possible. If you are in a hagwon speaking English all day everyday, you are not going to progress very far.

It is no coincidence that out of the native English speakers that appear on the show, all of them are here as students and not teachers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicwr2002



Joined: 17 Aug 2011

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:
wanderkind wrote:
I haven't got around to watching it yet but I've heard it's pretty good.

Can you explain the Japanese anthem situation?


They have a Japanese member of the 'G11' and so they played the anthem in the first episode and were heavily rebuked. Then in the last episode they had a Japanese guy replace the other guy and again played the anthem.

The anthem is currently the official anthem of Japan and I believe it was first used as their anthem in 1868. However, during WWII they forced Koreans and Chinese in their empire to learn it and as you can imagine it wasn't a polite request.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/10/511_167137.html


I wonder if they have played the other national anthems for the various countries on this program before. If so, then this is just petty anger generated by those Ilbae netizens. They played a snippet of the anthem for the Japanese guy. It wasn't like they played it as the intro or outro of the program.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
optik404



Joined: 24 Jun 2008

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
optik404 wrote:
Basically the excuse was that if you're an English teacher, you speak English at work all day and because you work, you don't have time to learn Korean? That makes no sense. Just an excuse for the unmotivated.


I totally disagree. If you have never learned another language in your life and your first language you start with is Korean, then you are going to have a bad time. Even if you have learned or studied other languages before it will only help you a little. Unless you have studied Japanese, Chinese, Mongolian, or Turkish before it would be extremely difficult to be motivated to learn Korean. It's not just being lazy.


This makes no sense. Motivation is a personal issue. Some people are motivated to learn Korean and some aren't. I know plenty of people from my Yonsei KLI days that picked up on Korean very quickly, not just Asians either. White Canadians, Frenchman, Australian, etc. My friend that came to visit me learned to read Korean on the plane ride over.


aq8knyus wrote:
optik404 wrote:
Basically the excuse was that if you're an English teacher, you speak English at work all day and because you work, you don't have time to learn Korean? That makes no sense. Just an excuse for the unmotivated.


To learn any language you need to speak it as often as possible. If you are in a hagwon speaking English all day everyday, you are not going to progress very far.

It is no coincidence that out of the native English speakers that appear on the show, all of them are here as students and not teachers.


That's not true at all.

Obviously, if someone is a student in a Korean university they will most likely adapt to Korean quicker, but it doesn't mean that if you live outside of Korea and study Korean, you can't become just as fluent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wooden nickels



Joined: 23 May 2010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood why a few of the foreigners and Gyopo, feel that if someone doesn't try to learn Korean it is such a horrible thing. Sure it's good to be able to use the language but many here don't have much interest in learning it, or at least at any level of fluency.

An ego stroker for some of the foreigners who do study it.

Gyopo wanting to puff around like a little Adjusi imposing and harassing misery on others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicwr2002



Joined: 17 Aug 2011

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
nicwr2002 wrote:
optik404 wrote:
Basically the excuse was that if you're an English teacher, you speak English at work all day and because you work, you don't have time to learn Korean? That makes no sense. Just an excuse for the unmotivated.


I totally disagree. If you have never learned another language in your life and your first language you start with is Korean, then you are going to have a bad time. Even if you have learned or studied other languages before it will only help you a little. Unless you have studied Japanese, Chinese, Mongolian, or Turkish before it would be extremely difficult to be motivated to learn Korean. It's not just being lazy.


This makes no sense. Motivation is a personal issue. Some people are motivated to learn Korean and some aren't. I know plenty of people from my Yonsei KLI days that picked up on Korean very quickly, not just Asians either. White Canadians, Frenchman, Australian, etc. My friend that came to visit me learned to read Korean on the plane ride over.


aq8knyus wrote:
optik404 wrote:
Basically the excuse was that if you're an English teacher, you speak English at work all day and because you work, you don't have time to learn Korean? That makes no sense. Just an excuse for the unmotivated.


To learn any language you need to speak it as often as possible. If you are in a hagwon speaking English all day everyday, you are not going to progress very far.

It is no coincidence that out of the native English speakers that appear on the show, all of them are here as students and not teachers.


That's not true at all.

Obviously, if someone is a student in a Korean university they will most likely adapt to Korean quicker, but it doesn't mean that if you live outside of Korea and study Korean, you can't become just as fluent.


How does it not make sense? Korean, Japanese, and Chinese are the top 3 most difficult languages for English speakers. That is a fact. It's also a fact that if you have never broken the language barrier before, it will be more difficult for you to learn a second language. This is especially true the older you get.

You could be highly motivated to learn Korean, but there are a lot of factors that can affect your ability or willingness to learn it. It isn't just because someone is "lazy" that makes them unable to learn the language.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aq8knyus



Joined: 28 Jul 2010
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's not true at all.

Obviously, if someone is a student in a Korean university they will most likely adapt to Korean quicker, but it doesn't mean that if you live outside of Korea and study Korean, you can't become just as fluent.


I meant that if you are working in a hagwon 9-7 and are told that you can only speak English, you will not be able to learn Korean easily.

Also to learn Korean to a decent standard you most certainly do have to speak it as much as possible. Both Tyler and Sam H have both stated that they learnt by speaking it regularly with friends and strangers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
3DR



Joined: 24 May 2009

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooden nickels wrote:
I've never understood why a few of the foreigners and Gyopo, feel that if someone doesn't try to learn Korean it is such a horrible thing. Sure it's good to be able to use the language but many here don't have much interest in learning it, or at least at any level of fluency.

An ego stroker for some of the foreigners who do study it.

Gyopo wanting to puff around like a little Adjusi imposing and harassing misery on others.


If you're here for a year or two sure, but there are lifers here and even some married to Koreans who don't know anything beyond "annyeonghaseyo" and "kamsahamnida"

I would think it would benefit these people to learn the language so they are not being guided around and needing their hand held for every little thing that doesn't involve English.

If their feelings are hurt when people call them out on it, then too bad. Truth hurts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International