Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For anyone in Gwangju...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blindsheep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: For anyone in Gwangju... Reply with quote

Hey,

I just started working a new job in Gwangju and am trying to find some basic items and was wondering if anyone knows where I could acquire them.

I would like know where I could find:

Somewhere that sells adapters for a) razor, b) 12W guitar amp. I'm assuming I'd find these at the same place?

An bank where I can open an international account that will give me two bank cards (for money transfering).

A humidifier that is 10000 won or less hopefully? I can't afford one of those big fancy ones I've seen.

A music store that sells guitars and accessories.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Crois

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A razor in any shop.

Guitar amp - take 555 bus or its near Starbucks there is a mucis shop.

Any food go to home plus - go to bus terminal and get the 311 bus out the back and get on it for about 20 minutes.

As for the international bank good luck about the two cards. If you can speak Korean good luck with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: For anyone in Gwangju... Reply with quote

blindsheep wrote:
Hey,

I just started working a new job in Gwangju and am trying to find some basic items and was wondering if anyone knows where I could acquire them.

I would like know where I could find:

Somewhere that sells adapters for a) razor, b) 12W guitar amp. I'm assuming I'd find these at the same place?

Assuming you're talking about power adaptors (220v -> 110v), you want to head downtown to the Bando building near Lotte (Kumho World near Shinsaegae will also do, if that's handier to you). Shops in the ground floor, and other stores nearby, all deal in transformers. They're heavy suckers - big industrial brick sized things - but you should be able to get one for about 10,000w, or maybe a bit more.

Quote:

An bank where I can open an international account that will give me two bank cards (for money transfering).

My bank, Kookmin Bank downtown, gave me two cards, one of them international. If I were you I'd play it safe and say I need the international card for travelling, not for remitting funds out of the country. Banks are still coming out of a tradition of being sticky about what foreigners can and can't do with their money through the local banks.

For what it's worth, the manager of that Kookmin (KB) Bank is foreigner-friendly.

Quote:
A humidifier that is 10000 won or less hopefully? I can't afford one of those big fancy ones I've seen.

E-mart has reasonable ones in the 30-40,000w range. Pay 40,000w and you get one that doubles as a mood light.

Quote:
A music store that sells guitars and accessories.

There are a few music stores in Kwangju - Cosmo Music, also near Lotte, is one - but you really need to make a pilgrimage to Nakwon Building near Chongno, right by Insadong, in Seoul. Korea is Seoulcentric and the musical instrument industry in Korea is especially so.

Good luck, and welcome!
blindsheep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank alots for the responses, I appreciate it. I'll probably try to head down to those places within the next few days. One thing I forgot to ask about though is protein powder... Any ideas on somewhere affordable I can get this?

I'm near the World Cup stadium on the west side of the city.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: