Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow Internet!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trying2getthere

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone having problems again?

Tonight my internet has been awful. Tried playing some games online but had over a 1 sec delay (and therefore unplayable). Also, webpages have been slow to load and Skype has dropped calls.
Leah2011

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troglodyte wrote:
I've been having a slow internet problem since yesterday. At first I thought it was the office connection. But then I found it was the same at home, and the same on a friend's iphone.

It seems to be particularly bad with Google related sites (e.g. Google search, Gmail, Youtube) but also some other sites (including some Korean sites).

It's really annoying when I want to quickly check my Gmail or sent out a quick email. Has there been some kind of extra problem recently?

I have this problem too. I can't use gmail chat most of the time, and then I'll get an error so that I have to use the HTML version of gmail because of (Internet connectivity problems). I can't watch youtube videos, unless i wait an extraordinarily long time. It's so weird. I didn't set up my internet, it was set up before I got here. I think it's cable. It does seem like things are quicker in the early morning.
Koreadays

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you guys with LG U ?
Eddy24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with C&M and recently it has been REALLLY SLOW. I checked with speedtest.net and the ping time is huge and downloads and uploads are like 1.5Mbps. When i first got to this apartment over a week ago i tested it and it was showing between 60 and 80Mbps and very quick ping time.

What's going on?

Oh and youtube sucks most of the time. I can watch HD videos on Vimeo no problem.
trying2getthere

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have SK and the problem just seemed to fix itself. My speeds are fast again, but sill have high ping while playing games on servers in EU/NA (around 350 ping). Can't complain too much though, since its playable at least.
Leah2011

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything's back to normal for me too! I don't know why.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are much better for me. Ping was down to 150 today. Getting far better speeds. Something must have gotten fixed. 5.8MPS up and 2.8MPS down.
trying2getthere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing Heroes of Newerth (I'm not good or anything), but my ping is all over the place. Some games are around 200, but others can be as high as 650. I'm assuming its the servers between Korea and the game servers, but I can't figure out how to do a trace route to the game servers.

I wish they'd just make some Korean servers, but they can't even keep the servers they have running!!!
archmagos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying2getthere wrote:
Some games are around 200, but others can be as high as 650. I'm assuming its the servers between Korea and the game servers, but I can't figure out how to do a trace route to the game servers.

What is the ip address of the game server?

Last edited by archmagos on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
trying2getthere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

archmagos wrote:

If i knew that I could run a trace route.

There are many servers around the world. My best ping is to US west, though. However, the closest servers are in Japan, but give me awful ping.
archmagos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying2getthere wrote:
archmagos wrote:

If i knew that I could run a trace route.

There are many servers around the world. My best ping is to US west, though. However, the closest servers are in Japan, but give me awful ping.

Have you tried this page?

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/wiki/index.php/Network_Quality_Diagnostics

Lists a whole range of addresses and discusses pinging and traceroutes.
trying2getthere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen that page! Thanks a lot.
gqsupersport

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hallazgo wrote:
darkjedidave wrote:
Yes, Youtube sucks, its been like that for a few years now. I have to watch in 240p in order to not constantly pause the video

Youtube began sucking when they got into a row with Korea over using your real name in logging in. Back in 2008, this Korean dude named himself minerva and made all sorts of predictions about the stock market, some of which actually came true. He panicked a bunch of Koreans (they're like lemmings, I tell ya) and ever since then Korea has this hard on for knowing your real name. Youtube and Google didn't wanna play that game. Ergo, youtube is slow. Funny how things work.

My Galaxy S plays youtube videos just fine, but I'm betting it's 240p also. I never checked. Small display, don't care, etc. etc.

Lol, i remember that... silly. I've had major slowdowns in speed but they usually last less than an hour and otherwise, i'm d/l torrents at 2-3 Mb/s.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Koreadays,is the package you are reffering to that you have with Lg U+ the cellphone and home internet package at 55000 won per month?Is lg u+ landline speed 100mb per second and are they reliable.I am really wanting to get a package like this to save money.Any input will help.
adam_n

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible scam?

I'll chime in with my 2 cents. I changed residences a few months ago and decided to stay with the landlord's cheap c&m internet service.

For a couple of months it was ok. I had the 10mbps package. Decent speed, was able to watch 720p video on Youtube without any problems.

Within the last 6 weeks the service dropped to being slow as a snail. Some mornings I would wake up and there would be no service at all.

I finally called the company yesterday and they sent some guy over who knew nothing about networking or internet service. (I used to work at HP doing hardware support for a number of years so I know a little more than the basics of networking). Anyways I watched this guy on my computer who opened Internet Explorer a bunch of times, unplugged my modem.

He first tried to blame my laptop for slow internet speeds and says I should have a desktop (I own a pretty expensive and fast quadcore laptop HP Envy), then he tried blaming my wireless router and said I should replace it with one from C&M. I said I stream content wirelessly off my media server just fine, even with the internet off. Lastly he tried blaming the modem and said I should go buy a new one (C&M doesn't own the modems? I honestly don't know) He went on to open the network settings, didn't change anything. It was all in English so I don't even know if he could read it.

He said (in Korean) that he doesn't know what the problem is, that it should all be automatic. I gave up hope on him and let him leave. After he left I did some speed testing of my own, both directly plugged into the modem and over wireless. Ironically I tested slightly faster over the wireless and I was getting the full 10mbps that I was paying for. Last month when it was slow, I was consistently getting 3.5mbps on different days.

Today is clearly the fastest my internet has been in months. It's too soon to say whether my speed will drop off but after reading through this thread, it would seem like I'm not the only one to have their speed pick up after calling for service only to have it drop off later.

Either way I wouldn't recommend them for internet service. I'd change but I might only be here a few more months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: