Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

learning korean (the language i mean)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheh, Jinu, Mr. PR himself.

Where's their office? I'm surprised you can even do something like that. I'd love to drop in randomly sometime and increase their known foreign fanbase by 1.
mithridates

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit surprised myself but they just let me right in to have a chat. It was fun. Here's the address (I would write it in Korean but I think it'll become garbled):
T-Entertainment
89-9 Chungdam-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul
02-2107-5900
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually not that hard to meet non-manufactured groups here. I drank a lot of baek-se-ju at 8 in the morning on christmas day 2001 with parts of now defunct bbibbi band (best korean band now and forever) and the singer from 3rd line butterfly gave me her phone number but I was too scared to call her. The singer from no brain goes to myeong weol gwan in hongdae sometimes (maybe not that much), but even just hanging around hongdae you can see a lot of people like that.

I've still waiting for kim yoo-na to show up though

Oh AND I got to yell "UN Sa-rang hae" at UN once when I saw them at the MBC studios. They seemed really suprised for some reason.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
I was a bit surprised myself but they just let me right in to have a chat. It was fun.

Thanks for the address. By the by, was that conversation in Korean? I'm afraid my limited Korean would bore them cats to tears...
mithridates

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was in Korean so I'm not sure if any of them can hold their own in an English conversation or not. Roller Coaster sure has a lot of English in their songs though that's not necessarily an indication of ability...
That reminds me, I'm thinking of writing up a few Roller Coaster songs with the English translation and an explanation of the grammar etc. below. I first learned Korean through a book in Japan called 'kankokugo de utaou' (Let's sing in Korean) which had a section of some nine or so songs from singers famous during the early 90s. Sadly I didn't like any of the songs, but the book was really well done and I still have each and every one of those songs imprinted in my head.
The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomato wrote:
Incidentally, I had a vacation last week.
I spent the last week practicing Javascript and Korean at the same time.
See how you like my work...

You've got problems, Tomato. Your pages are encoded with a mixture of Korean and Unicode - you've got to choose one or the other.

Your pages will work if you put

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=euc-kr">

in the <head>. But the browser will ask that the surfista install a set of K characters. Half of your Korean is encoded in unicode (done in Word?) which is a step in the right direction, but putting

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

in the <head> will gum up the half that's written in Korean characters.

Welcome to the world of mulitlingual web pages.

KoK
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, King of Kwangju!

Did you try my Web pages in the PC bang or at home?
I access those pages in the PC bang with no problem.
I had some of the URL's wrong, though.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: learning Korean Reply with quote

mokpochica wrote:
Korean is a hard language for speakers of English to learn (and vice versa) because the languages are quite dissimilar. However, I don't think it's probably an inherently more difficult language to learn than any other.

I disagree.

Quote:
The question of the hardest language to acquire (L1) can be considered by determining when children are able to speak grammatically correctly, as judged by adult speakers. According to Wexler, the constructions that take children the longest to master are long-distance dependencies. The long-distance dependency of the reflexive pronoun in Korean is not implemented correctly by Korean children until the age of five (Wexler 1990, p. 109), making Korean the most difficult language for toddlers to master, according to Wexler's study.
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: learning Korean Reply with quote

World Traveler, thank you for bumping this thread.
(After 7 years! That's probably a world record!)
What's a long-distance dependency?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: