Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of Contract...Next Teacher Not Coming Raises Minor Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
son of coco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: End of Contract...Next Teacher Not Coming Raises Minor Issue Reply with quote

My contract finishes in 3 weeks and I am currently looking for work in Ulsan. Would love a public school job, but it seems they're as rare as hen's teeth there despite the city's size. I guess a lot of people renew.

So for the past few weeks I've been keeping my eyes on the advertisements for private jobs. A few have come up here and there, but nothing concrete yet. I had one recruiter ask if I could start at the beginning of November when I'd already told her I was going home to Australia for 3 weeks at the end of my contract, so not sure what's happening with that.

Anyway, today my co-teacher tells me the teacher who was coming to replace me is no longer coming. So this afternoon I have thoughts of what it would be like to renew my contract here and get the 2 million won bonus plus work for the next year without wondering what will happen when I come back at the end of Nov (if I have to look for work then).

If it wasn't for my having a girlfriend who lives in Ulsan I wouldn't be moving...this is the dilemma. I can't go for another year with weekly trips to Ulsan (I don't think) as it's tiring and you get no down time. On the other hand, I don't want to spend a quarter of what I've saved here looking for another job (especially if it's added to missing $2000 bonus and a potential $2000 extra for winter and summer camps).

It's a definite talking point with my girlfriend this weekend though...she mentioned moving to MAsan when I told her about it but I'm pretty sure she was joking.

Don't expect anyone on here to offer any advice by the way, just had to write about it as I thought it'd help me think (although you can if you want Very Happy )
andrewchon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton's advice.
.38 Special

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quite the predicament. Of course I can't offer much in the way of advice, as I know nothing of your opinions of either the place you live, the place you work, and the things you want to improve upon with future employment/location.

That said, it seems location is your biggest problem. Perhaps you should share some of that problem with your girlfriend. If you're satisfied with your current working conditions, then perhaps you could convince your girlfriend to find work nearer to you.

Or, stick it out for another year, erstwhile putting your name around in your preferred location near your girlfriend, making connections, etc.

Good luck, chief. Smile
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is your contract up?

99% of public school/uni jobs start in late Feb/early March so your timing may be a bit off.
benji

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hot is your girlfriend? Can you find a new one? For me to move to Ulsan for a woman, she would have to be movie star beautiful; and even then Im not so sure.
JJJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the power now, they need you more than you need them.

Negotiate a new contract. Get a raise, less travelling time, better hours, a few more holidays, a pre-written letter of release.

Years ago, I was one week from leaving and the replacement didn't show up, the supervisor calls me up at home and begs me to stay for 6 more months...fine, call me back tomorrow. I made a list of demands...free rent, small raise, 2 weeks off during the 6 months, letter of recommendation, a few less classes.....I got it all. And after enduring a hellish year, this extra 6 months was awesome...no pressure at all.
platypus666

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for the EPIK program in Ulsan and you could easily get a job at a middle or elementary school, but not until July/August of 2010.

The mid-contract turn over is quite rare but a person with experience teaching here would be hired in a flash.

Maybe renew your current contract for the extra $$ but on your own terms?
youtuber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: End of Contract...Next Teacher Not Coming Raises Minor I Reply with quote

kljh
son of coco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benji wrote:
How hot is your girlfriend? Can you find a new one? For me to move to Ulsan for a woman, she would have to be movie star beautiful; and even then Im not so sure.

Laughing

Excellent advice Benji, thanks very much...
son of coco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.38 Special wrote:
That is quite the predicament. Of course I can't offer much in the way of advice, as I know nothing of your opinions of either the place you live, the place you work, and the things you want to improve upon with future employment/location.

That said, it seems location is your biggest problem. Perhaps you should share some of that problem with your girlfriend. If you're satisfied with your current working conditions, then perhaps you could convince your girlfriend to find work nearer to you.

Or, stick it out for another year, erstwhile putting your name around in your preferred location near your girlfriend, making connections, etc.

Good luck, chief. Smile

Thanks mate. Yeah the biggest problem is location at the moment in relation to where my girlfriend lives. We've had a chat over the weekend though and if worst comes to worst I'll probably go for the contract renewal. I wanted a public school in Ulsan and there's only 1 position coming up in Feb.

Would go for private schools but like the idea of the guaranteed savings and no problems with payment from my current school. I know the students now too so the bad ones bother me less and the good ones make my week. I'm trying to negotiate an extra week's holiday in the break between contracts as I had already booked 3 weeks in Australia thinking I would be going home and then coming back to Ulsan to work. Assuming they'll want me back to teach it might be the way to go.

I've been looking at and applying for private schools anyway, but of the few I've found so far that are hiring now 3 want either a couple, North American or female teacher, one I think I've applied for twice and the other hasn't got back to me after saying they wanted to call but could I start Nov 1st (it's impossible unfortunately as we've booked 3 weeks in Oz - would be too expensive a cancellation)

I'm looking at between $5500 and $7000 less for the year at a hagwon too (depending on whether or not they pay the pension and whether or not they pay the airfare when I'm already in the country). That's a big chunk of change for the year.

I like the place I'm living in at the moment, it's quiet but close enough to the city to be close to all conveniences. Good group of foreigners organise stuff to do during the week.

Will find out this week if I'm still wanted at my school I guess. It might be around this time the fact I told them I didn't want to do night-classes might come back to bite me on the arse. haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: