Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do people eat at home?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways,I have an oven,but it is one of the small toaster ovens I brought over from the states. I am from the south,too,where I was raised to think cooking is important. My toaster oven allows me to cook everyhting a big oven allows me to cook. I have made everything from chocolate chip cookies to broccoli casserole. And no. like you I am not overwieght either.
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

princess wrote:
Anyways,I have an oven,but it is one of the small toaster ovens I brought over from the states. I am from the south,too,where I was raised to think cooking is important. My toaster oven allows me to cook everyhting a big oven allows me to cook. I have made everything from chocolate chip cookies to broccoli casserole. And no. like you I am not overwieght either.

I thought the princess would be cooking

self-pity cookies
everyone hates me stew
I'm not as ugly as you think pot-pie
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a cooking god, or so says my wife whahahaha

Buying an oven was the greatest thing, a real oven: cost less than 400k. Generally, my schedule permitting, my wife and I alternate cooking duties. She makes mostly Korean stuff, I do the Western Shtick. But I can make Den Jang Chiggea, Soon Dooboo, and a variety of kalbi dishes. These are all easy to make and don't require an oven, in fact one burner and a saucepan or frypan is enough. The ingredients can be bought easily at most stores: the little packs of sauces in the refrigerator units, the deng jang paste in the aisles. Having a rice cooker is also great since you always have rice ready and it can double as a steamer.

Dishes I make range all over. I particularily enjoy curries, so curry up some chicken, or some vegetables in coconut milk, put it on rice = delicious.

I make a mean lasagna, chicken pot pie, burrito mix, chili, and soups of various sorts from stock. Most of the ingredients can be bought at your closest chain supermarket, although maybe not in one location i.e. I have to buy cheese at emart, salsa and coconut milk at Hanwa mart, cream at hanaro mart. If I lived in Seoul it would be much easier. Remember, cooking this stuff is great, but the Korean food is much cheaper.

Deng Jang Chiggae

The paste is in a brown tub.

fill a saucepan 2/3 full of water. Put in whatever veggies you like. Softer ones are better, like zucchini, mushrooms, green peppers, onions. Potatoes are good too. Bring to a boil. Add tofu, spinach, and Dengjang paste to taste. Some folks like more dengjang, but be careful it can be a bit salty. Once the spinach is limp, eat! with rice and whatever side dishes you like best. This is so easy, takes less than 15 minutes if the rice is cooked in advance. it's cheap and tasty.
Homer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rand!

That hurts.... Crying or Very sad
Why go and say a thing like that....?
Ok mate, my joke wasn't that good but I aint a captain and I aint obvious.... Laughing
Ody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought rand's (princess and homer) digs were funny.
Laughing

the soup i most often make is miyuk gook (my kid likes it). for side dished i make both bean sprout (gongna mul) and spinach (shigum chi) muchim, as well as the egg coated foods my family always serves for jae sah (yumm).

though i'm not a vegetarian (i eat sea food), my cooking is.

finally, i, like so many koreans, like a lot of mayonnaise, and so i prepare mayo. saturated salads at home that are not unlike those that westerners seldom eat at the korean restaurants!

here's a korean method of cooking tubu that appeals to my own western palette. It's what i do with the portion (of tubu) that will go bad before the next time i actually cook (we usually eat out!).

i'm no julia child, so i apologize for the lack of specifics like proportions of ingredients:

cut tubu into 1" squares, 1/4" thick. fry (med high) in a large pan while mixing a marinade:
soy sauce, water, garlic, sesame oil, seeds (crushed in your palm), and red pepper powder (honey of sugar, pa, yang pa optional).
turn the tubu over after slightly browned.
once both sides are equally browned pour the marinade into the frying pan and cook for a couple minutes, then turn the tubu over and repeat.
your tubu should be finished about the same time the marinade is cooked away.

you can store this side dish for several days. i like it so much, it's usually gone in one!
Ody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FierceInvalid's web link looks good. the boiled tofu is similar to the recipe i posted, only mine is oily.

the seasoned bean sprout and spinach recipes on this site are the side dishes i listed in my 1st post, except i use the bean sprout ingredients for both (no soy sauce).

thanx fierce!
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rand Al Thor wrote:
princess wrote:

I thought the princess would be cooking

self-pity cookies
everyone hates me stew
I'm not as ugly as you think pot-pie

I don't see very much love in this post.

C.
jaderedux

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Usually food but sometimes the barbequed heart of an evil foe....

Have a nice day?!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Bump*

Hmm took me awhile to find this thread but since I've been here six months I figure I needed a change in dinner time feeds.

Great website worth a look people!

As for me
I've been eating:

soup *boil up the bones add some noodles and done
Banger and mash
Mandul and rice
Heaps of pasta
Chicken with ham and cambert

CLG
PS anyone feel like finding all the reciepe threads

so far I have only two measly posts

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=2602 (yoghurt)
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=6826 (ginger beer)

But I'm sure there was stuff floating around for curry. Defintley stuff to be recorded in the FAQ (waterbaby take note)

CLg
desultude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get into routines with food. Sometimes, in the winter especially, I will buy a "country chicken" (this is the free range one, it looks more yellow than the factory ones) and make a pot of soup from it using whatever veges are good and cheap (peppers, garlic, carrots, garlic, onions, garlic, ginger, garlic, some interesting greens, etc) and then use it all week adding things to it like tofu, rice, mandu, bits of meat, etc. Its a good base, sort of my version of the perenial rice/soup diet. It beats the heck out of packaged soup/noodle ramen stuff.

For the last few weeks I have been using the rice cooker (creates less heat in the apt.) to do things with rice. My favorite is to mix brown rice 3 to 1 with some of that mixed grain stuff, add a few cloves of garlic, some fresh ginger, and a pepper, and cook. When it is almost done I add some fresh spinach or chard (silver beet) to the top to steam. Sometimes I add an egg. I add pepper paste, sesame oil and soy sauce at the table. Usually there is enough for two or three meals for me. To reheat it I use a frypan with a lid, and a little sesame oil.

Its not exactly Korean, but its also not western. And it is cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: