Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

don't speak Korean, interested in finding child psychologist
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eventually

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: don't speak Korean, interested in finding child psychologist Reply with quote

What's the word for "child psychologist," and how could I find one? Where could I search? Particulary in Daejeon. It'd be easier for me if they speak English, but it's not required. It's not for English speaking children. I'm just doing the footwork for an idea I have.
T-J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Child Psychology(ist) is 아동 심리학(자)

A Naver search turned up 대전아동심리상담센터 (Daejeon Child Psychology Consultation Center). They are located at 대전광역시 서구 용문동 589-12. Phone 042-525-7556.

Good luck.
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the word for "child psychologist," and how could I find one? Where could I search? Particulary in Daejeon. It'd be easier for me if they speak English, but it's not required. It's not for English speaking children. I'm just doing the footwork for an idea I have.

You planning on meddling with 'Korean society?' Wink

Best of luck with that one!

I don't know about your area, but I know lots of schools are starting to employ 'school councilors,' which is at least a step in the right direction....
eventually

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you TJ!!!
edit: not for a school, for an orphanage. they'd like to have someone but no resources, so i'm looking into finding pro bono services
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
thank you TJ!!!
edit: not for a school, for an orphanage. they'd like to have someone but no resources, so i'm looking into finding pro bono services

But their too lazy to go online and find one themselves! Embarassed

Worthy cause, hopefully they get the best start in life that they can!

Is there the structure in place to deal with issues when they 'come out' though? That is the worry....

The biggest thing the Korean government could do for kids like this is to make them 'fake family certificates,' - so they have a 'family back ground' for when it comes time to apply for jobs/uni ect (assuming they haven't been thrown onto the scrapheap beforehand!)

People here on Dave�s think Waygook's got it bad - try being an Orphaned kid in Korea! Mad
le-paul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not exactly sure what your agenda would be once you found said psychologist. but having seen the aftermath first hand of making diagnosis of people (pigeon holing as is the more common term), and knowing the psychology services here in the sunny ROK have a long way to go in treatment. Basically, id be wary of trying to analyse a child yourself. it takes months and sometimes years of one to one intervention to make a diagnosis. failing that, you'll likely lead to someone being stuffed full of drugs so they'll behave 'normally'.

dont fix a car unless you know what youre doing and don't make cereal packet analyses of people unless your qualified.
either way, you'll do more damage than good.
eventually

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
im not exactly sure what your agenda would be once you found said psychologist. but having seen the aftermath first hand of making diagnosis of people (pigeon holing as is the more common term), and knowing the psychology services here in the sunny ROK have a long way to go in treatment. Basically, id be wary of trying to analyse a child yourself. it takes months and sometimes years of one to one intervention to make a diagnosis. failing that, you'll likely lead to someone being stuffed full of drugs so they'll behave 'normally'.

dont fix a car unless you know what youre doing and don't make cereal packet analyses of people unless your qualified.
either way, you'll do more damage than good.

i don't know what you think you are saying. i'm not diagnosing or analyzing any child myself. i'm looking for someone professionally trained to spend the time to talk with the kids and perhaps help them work through their aggression/bullying/issues. counselling, therapy, etc. no diagnosis required. no meds.

[btw, this is my idea. i don't want to approach the orphanage with this lofty idea unless i can find someone who might be willing to do pro bono. seems easier that way.]
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[btw, this is my idea. i don't want to approach the orphanage with this lofty idea unless i can find someone who might be willing to do pro bono. seems easier that way.]

I really think you should ask someone higher up first.

Using initiative isn't always welcomed in Korea!

You'd also (maybe) be better off contacting a university course that is maybe training counselors, then they get something to put in their CV too - win - win
(Assuming your orphanage says okay!)
busanliving

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the negative associations with mental illness here anything on record, or even by general knowledge, of these children seeing a counsellor or psychologist could harm their chances in life long term.
zombiedog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychologist=pseudo scientist

Child Psychologist= sadistic pseudo scientist

Stay away from black magic.
cfile2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombiedog wrote:
Psychologist=pseudo scientist

Child Psychologist= sadistic pseudo scientist

Stay away from black magic.

What makes you say that?

It's absolutely not true and I don't know why you would hold such a view of psychology. Psychological research is submitted to the same standards of the scientific method as any other scientific field of study, including peer reviewed journals.

Hardly black magic.

Not that I'm advocating OP go out and seek a child psychologist for the kids like this. It really would be a better idea to check it out with the higher ups. If you just spring it on them, it will probably backfire on you.
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of ESL teachers here with Psychology degrees, maybe they could help out. Very Happy
eventually

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two points:

1. psychology = black magic? are you a scientologist?

2. i do not intend to spring this on the higher ups as a "Look what I did! We start next week!" deal. i'm asking around to see if anyone would be interested in pro bono work. if yes, then i ask the higher ups if they'd be interested in acquiring a child psychologist at no cost. if they say no, no harm done.

by the way, i really like the university idea...
F5Waeg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, so you're a waeg who speaks very little Korean, trying to find a child psychologist to work pro bono for an orphanage I assume you volunteer at?

wow. just, wow.
slothrop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: