Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian Taxes for expats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to file? I mean, I have ZERO ties other than my passport. I never plan to go back and live there again. What can they do?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - (my opinion only) - you don't need to file, if you believe you don't owe them anything (and have nothing coming).
tokki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
No - (my opinion only) - you don't need to file, if you believe you don't owe them anything (and have nothing coming).

I did a checklist of the ties. Primary, secondary. Literally, the only tie I have as of a couple of months is my passport. The other tie I had was my Ontario license, but it expired. Dont need it now anyway,got a Korean license valid until 1012. I basically cancelled every tie I had when I left Canada almost 3 years ago.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokki wrote:
The Lemon wrote:

I did a checklist of the ties. Primary, secondary. Literally, the only tie I have as of a couple of months is my passport. The other tie I had was my Ontario license, but it expired. Dont need it now anyway,got a Korean license valid until 1012. I basically cancelled every tie I had when I left Canada almost 3 years ago.

Same for me...

Family would be the only ties...and they don't think I will be living in Canada again. Chances are I won't be.
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bank account, passport, credits cards, driver's license and a health care card still... Even though they're all secondary ties, I'm screwed aren't I?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SarcasmKills wrote:
I have a bank account, passport, credits cards, driver's license and a health care card still... Even though they're all secondary ties, I'm screwed aren't I?

No. It's on a case-by-case basis, but if you can show you need the credit cards and bank account, even though you're not a resident of Canada anymore, you're probably fine. The health card however, could be problematic -don't use it if you go back to visit Canada. Get travel insurance before you go.
tokki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like a lot of ties though, even if secondary.

I think the MOST crucial thing ppl have to remember is that in order to be a non resident in Canada you need to show proof of residence in another country. I dont think its enough to just cut your ties, but to fail to establish true residency here. They will ask you where you intended to live if you were no longer a resident of Canada. People with spouses here who have real connections to Korea in terms of family, etc, are in a better position than someone who comes over for 2 years and then goes back.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokki - You're right, but I think in my case I'll be OK even though I'm leaving Korea soon after three years and going to live in yet another country - not Canada.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:
Well I know this:

In the last year they changed the form from "Declaring non-residency" to "Finding out your status - non-resident/resident"

I just filed that form like a week ago. Been in Korea for 7yrs, never sent them anything. No tax forms etc.

I will be curious to what they say, basically I filled it out saying I won't ever return to Canada. Which is probably true. I see myself working in a warmer place - climate wise.

If they ever expect me to pay taxes, that will be pretty damn funny. If they don't backdate non-residence status anymore, guess I have some creative lying to do.

"I was busted for drug use and have been in a Korean jail for 7 years..."
or
"The Korean mafia has been holding me a slave, the government JUST freed me, but since I have a wife I can't leave..."

or some other crazy ass story Smile

Once they let me know, I will post an update. I faxed it, so curious how fast they will respond.

UPDATE:

I got a form 3-4 weeks ago in the mail. It said I was granted Non-Residency status and they back dated it to 1997, the year I came here. They basically put me back into the system...don't know if that is a good thing or not, because I got a letter a week later saying they will withhold any federal repayments like income tax/GST because of my federal student loan.

If you scammed GST payments like I did my first year over here, you will probably have to pay it back. I am just waiting on a letter telling me I have to do that. It was only 200 bucks so no worries if they do ask for that GST money back.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:

If you scammed GST payments like I did my first year over here, you will probably have to pay it back. I am just waiting on a letter telling me I have to do that. It was only 200 bucks so no worries if they do ask for that GST money back.

Actually, that's a good point to bring up. The government may send GST cheques to your former address in Canada - possibly your mom and dad. Don't be tempted to have them cashed. 47.50, or whatever it is, just isn't worth it.

During that first year, I had just graduated, was very poor, and was certainly tempted, too.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
Mr. Pink wrote:

Actually, that's a good point to bring up. The government may send GST cheques to your former address in Canada - possibly your mom and dad. Don't be tempted to have them cashed. 47.50, or whatever it is, just isn't worth it.

During that first year, I had just graduated, was very poor, and was certainly tempted, too.

Well my mom cashed them. This is the problem: I only thought I was coming over here for 1 year, so in that case it really would not have been a problem. As I would have still remained a resident of Canada.

However, 7yrs later I think it was a risk I had to take, and if they want their 200 bucks back, I'll be glad to pay. If they want to tack on interest or penalties for me taking that 200 bucks...not sure what I will do.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you've been gone for 6 more GST-free years since that first year, I can't see how what you did in year one, back in 1997, would determine your status now. I freely admit I don't know how they'd interpret it, but if it was me, I wouldn't worry.
CanadaCommando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo folks.
For all you Canadians wondering about the tax situation, I emailed a good friend of mine, who is also an accountant, about how to keep the tax man from making me poor. Heres what he had to say:
As for the money you are receiving in Korea�� The Canadian tax system is a funny thing and works more or less on the honour system, whereby if you are honourable you work for the system and if you have no honour the system works for you. I would say you likely qualify for the latter (no offense that��s simply based on your comments in your email Wink ) So in your case what happens is when you get back we file tax returns for you for all the years you were away (because technically you are still considered a BC resident because you intend to return at some point, as I believe is the case) as though you never left�� say you went ��traveling�� in Korea for a year�� expanding your horizons and what not�� You still get the $75 dollar tax credit from BC and you still collect GST�� the CRA and the Canadian gov��t don��t know about any money earned (unless they really want to go digging, and I doubt they��ll bother)�� I think not filing is the wrong move, because if you miss a year and file the following year then they ask questions�� better not to go down that route. By the way�� I told you none of that, as I��m sure you could��ve guessed.

So there you go. Thats my plan. Hope it helps.
CanadaCommando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Should add that this is only really helpful for those planning to return.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanadaCommando wrote:
Sorry. Should add that this is only really helpful for those planning to return.

Actually, that "planning to return" is vitally important - the primary and secondary ties are looked at to basically suss out whether you do plan to return. I can legitimately say that I don't plan to return, at least not for 10-20 years, or more. And my finances indicate that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: