Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bonojit Hussain: Setting a Precedent on Racism
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geckoman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Bonojit Hussain: Setting a Precedent on Racism Reply with quote

Here's an interesting article about Bonojit Hussain, the Indian national who made Korean history a few weeks ago by taking a racist to court and winning.

In addition to making headlines in Korea, the story went international, particularly in India, where the story was big news and Bonojit Hussain is regarded as a national hero.

The Korea Herald:

Setting a precedent on racism
http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2009/11/06/200911060045.asp

Also see:

-Article by the International Herald Tribune -- The New York Time's international edition -- about Bonojit Hussain's case:

South Koreans Struggle With Race
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/world/asia/02race.html?ref=global-home

In addition to covering the Bonojit Hussain case, it gives a good history of racism in Korea.

-Interview that Bonojit Hussain did with the 24-hour Engish-language Indian news channel, �Times Now�:

"An Indian who fought racism alone"
http://www.timesnow.tv/Spl-An-Indian-who-fought-racism-alone/videoshow/4330709.cms

The host starts the interview by saying that Bonojit Hussain is "nothing less than an absolute hero," and shakes his hand. And than at the end of the interview, the host shakes his hand again. He's a hero in India!

Also in the interview, Bonojit Hussain says that he did receive threats and was even physically attacked for taking his case to court.

Keep up the good work Bonojit Hussian!

Your a hero to the expats and foreigners of Korea!

Cool
mc_jc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad part is he is the only one so far who actually made Korea accountable for its racist attitude.
The only thing we do as a community is talk, talk, and talk. God forbid we do something that will harm our standing in Korea~~
cubanlord

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Shocked

The New York Times! As much as Koreans love the NYT, you KNOW this is going to mean something for them. Good for the Indian and the Korean! It's about time change starts.
misher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 of my Korean friend who don�t even speak English mentioned this article to me the other day. Trust me, it was all over the Korean news. Koreans know about it.

The other thing is that they couldn�t really deny anything that was said in the article. They agreed with all that was said and hope that things will keep changing for the better.
calicoe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, Hussain! You did it right.

edit: Now we women need to do something about the incredibly lenient attitudes towards rape and sexual assault. We need an international cross over as well.
Chaucer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Korea can change Reply with quote

It's a nice thing about Korea--it wants to be better and can change itself.

Article in Joongang Daily yesterday about former Peace Corps volunteers talked about their stays in 1966-81. ExPCVs came back this year to a totally changed, modern country.

Last edited by Chaucer on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
b-class rambler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually read about this Indian guy's case on a Korean newspaper's website several months ago.

I'm surprised some people have taken so long to get to know of it.

Off topic but, I had to admit to having a chuckle at seeing "International Herald Tribune" and "worldwide attention" in the same sentence. Very Happy
endo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, for the Indian media to be "outraged" over this incident is extremely hypocritical in my opinion.

It's not like India is the baston of tollerence. Try talking to a Indian woman while in India.
red_devil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endo wrote:
Wow, for the Indian media to be "outraged" over this incident is extremely hypocritical in my opinion.

It's not like India is the baston of tollerence. Try talking to a Indian woman while in India.

India is worse as i've talked to a guy that moved his family down there for work. The stories he tells makes the whining on Dave's look like child's play. Oh, and not to mention the Middle East, parts of South America like Ecuador or Columbia, and Africa where you're more likely to be kidnapped - held for ransom and beheaded.
Smee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Chaucer makes a good point. It's a shame my country is so resistant to change. It's like, "If we improve, then the terrorists will have won."

This article has been done to death on the blogs the past few months . . . it just comes up now because it was in the Times. I'll say here what I and others have been saying: I wish a landmark case about racism in Korea weren't about getting yelled at on the bus. Getting harassed on the bus should be punishable no matter who the target is. Sure, the guy probably had a thing for foreigners, but do we really want to start dictating how people think?

And, it's worth pointing out this guy seems to think white people live in paradise here. Raise your hand if you're a white guy and you've been harassed or verbally assaulted somewhere in Korea. See, all of us have our hands up. Maybe we get a different kind of [expletive] because we're, most of us, white, but it's certainly no cakewalk being a teacher. Walk down the street with a Korean girlfriend and see how popular you are. Talk to a Korean girl in a club and see how tolerant Korean men are of white people. Dare to speak English on a bus or subway, and see how friendly people are.
Konglishman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endo wrote:

I think it would be unfair to paint all of India as being intolerant. Also, you should realize that India is hardly in a comparable situation with respect to South Korea socioeconomically speaking. Only 10% of its population is well educated whereas in South Korea, most people have a university education.

By the way, did you know that there is a kind of affirmative action for people from lower castes? I know this true at least for university acceptances.
endo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konglishman wrote:
endo wrote:

I think it would be unfair to paint all of India as being intolerant. Also, you should realize that India is hardly in a comparable situation with respect to South Korea socioeconomically speaking. Only 10% of its population is well educated whereas in South Korea, most people have a university education.

By the way, did you know that there is a kind of affirmative action for people from lower castes? I know this true at least for university acceptances.

Have you ever been to India?

It's a beautiful country with a lot of great things to see and do. But again, Koreans a light years ahead of Indians when it comes to inter-racial tolerance.
asylum seeker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endo wrote:

I've noticed even Indians born in New Zealand almost never marry outside of their ethnic group. I agree that it's a bit rich for them to act too self-righteous about this.
Konglishman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endo wrote:
Konglishman wrote:
endo wrote:

Have you ever been to India?

It's a beautiful country with a lot of great things to see and do. But again, Koreans a light years ahead of Indians when it comes to inter-racial tolerance.

I have not been to India yet, but I am planning to go to Kerala sometime next year.

Again, like I said, it does not make much sense to compare India to South Korea. It would make more sense perhaps to compare it to nations such as the Philippines which is probably at a somewhat similar socioeconomic situation in terms of education and income.

Regardless of all those things, Mr. Hussain or anyone else who is being mistreated has every right as a human being to fight for their rights.
endo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konglishman wrote:

Again, like I said, it does not make much sense to compare India to South Korea. It would make more sense perhaps to compare it to nations such as the Philippines which is probably at a somewhat similar socioeconomic situation in terms of education and income.

nope, not even close. try again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: