Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bonojit Hussain: Setting a Precedent on Racism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
jazzmaster wrote:
coralreefer_1 wrote:
jazzmaster wrote:
Quote:
All these stories about getting spit on/assaulted/cussed out..etc, are something that I find hard to believe

Yet you expect us to believe your tail of dating a model who is 10 years your junior.
I think you don't believe other poster's stories because you are telling lies yourself. If you want to PM me a link to your facebook profile containing pictures of you and your model girlfriend, then I will withdraw my comment.
Until then I think someone better call 119, because coralreefer's pants are on fire.

PM sent, but to add...its not that I dont believe other poster's stories are true..but rather than the issue is not as widespread as some would like us to believe. To illustrate that, I told my own story. Doesnt negate that such things have/have not happened to others, but as I said I find it hard to believe that there are REGULAR incidents of such things outside of the drinking/club areas.

Good man. I read your PM but instead of showing pictures you've just invited me to friend you on facebook, upon which I will finally be granted access to a photo of your model girlfriend.
Seems a bit suspect to me.

Hes offered to let you see pics as you requested, and you've refused.

You seem like a massively belligerent person. What does it take to pacify you?

Belligerent? For not wanting to have to befriend a stranger on facebook. I don't think you know what belligerent means.

Anyway, back to the main attraction:
Coralreefer sent me a photo of his girlfriend modelling and a photo of them together. The modelling photo in my opinion looked pretty naff and is her standing next to a lake. It is apparently an advertisement for green tea. I remain unconvinced.
However, the photo of them together does prove that his girlfriend is pretty. Also he did offer to show me 39 pictures of her on fb, but I haven't offered a friend request.
Perhaps someone who is brave enough to friend him on facebook can clear up the matter.
But I must say, his willingness to show photos has given me a new respect for him. Therefore I cannot definitively say if he is a liar or not.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want a new friend on facebook either. I don't even use my real name on facebook, and have all of 82 friends (people I actually know and regularly communicate with)

I assumed that if I had your facebook profile, I could have opened the album up to you under the custom setting. If not, then befriending would have been possible for a few minutes for you to see what you desired.

I don't want to derail the thread any more with such nonsense. I will add the two pics I sent jazzmaster to my snorkeling blog for all to see, and that will be the end as far as I am concerned.

http://theotherkoreanwave.wordpress.com/2014/07/01/putting-the-fire-out/
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b-class rambler wrote:

Off topic but, I had to admit to having a chuckle at seeing "International Herald Tribune" and "worldwide attention" in the same sentence. Very Happy

Things improved slightly after Bonojit.

A high profile case where an ajosshi got spanked did a lot of good.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coralreefer_1 wrote:
I dont want a new friend on facebook either. I don't even use my real name on facebook, and have all of 82 friends (people I actually know and regularly communicate with)

I assumed that if I had your facebook profile, I could have opened the album up to you under the custom setting. If not, then befriending would have been possible for a few minutes for you to see what you desired.

I don't want to derail the thread any more with such nonsense. I will add the two pics I sent jazzmaster to my snorkeling blog for all to see, and that will be the end as far as I am concerned.

Haha - actually, Ive met your girlfriend and she is pretty. Ive also met you a few times too, you seem like quite a nice guy on the face of it and not the creepy type, I think I could vouch for that Laughing

Anyway, back to the thread...

I think Koreans are more wary of offending foreigners these days.

Firstly, they must be more aware that more people can understand Korean than before. Ive noticed that people talk about me more now when they think Im out of earshot, as opposed to in the past where they would have discussed me right under my nose.

Secondly, I think the general media has managed to portray us in such a negative light, that Koreans must find us unpredictable (guy on bus shouting at old person etc.) and therefore dangerous. We dont fit with the 'blustering/bullshit' game that they play.

They must realize that we are more knowledgeable about our rights than in the past (even though we probably wouldn't have any if it came down to it). This may be in part thanks to Bonojit and the fact that things have more of a tendency to hit the international press/worlds eyes than before. Someone mentioned being able to translate and therefore taking away the privacy of bloggers. We also have more forums of our own now where pictures/video/information can be shared- as well as cctv (makes it harder to lie). This I believe, makes people more wary.
mr_thehorse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coralreefer_1 wrote:

pretty girl, and you have a cool site. i've been looking to start snorkeling.
Joe Boxer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for Mr. Bonojit.
By the way, I think it's a little weird that it's ok to literally drag someone to the police station to press charges. From what I read the ajoshi was forcibly ushered to the police station.
Mix1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:

Nowadays, I don't sense the same negative vibe coming off folks like I did before. All you had to do a few years ago was walk into a room and you could sense the negativity and hatred oozing off the locals.

Agreed. I'm no old timer, but this really was a thing and fairly regular too, depending where you went. And much worse if you were with a Korean girl. Overt negative vibes like that or even mild static is pretty rare these days.

And agreed they don't speak about you right IN FRONT of you as much anymore; they've learned to be more low profile about their comments. I guess they're more "refined" nowadays? They either don't care as much and/or have learned to hide their feelings better. I really don't care what they say behind my back. Based on past interactions, I assume there's still some negative talk about foreigners but they know how to act more civilized now... and hide it or save it for later.

If you just came over in the last few years, you're seeing a whole different side of Koreans. It's definitely easy street in comparison to a few years ago. That's a good thing.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_thehorse wrote:
coralreefer_1 wrote:

pretty girl, and you have a cool site. i've been looking to start snorkeling.

Thanks. My writing sucks and its a new blog (barely a month old). I just added some info and completed a draft I began a few days ago, but its far from being a resource just yet. However, if you are interested in snorkeling and happen to be in the Daegu Area you may be interested in a new post I made tonight about equipment rentals at Durya Park. If not in Daegu I am sure there are other places that also rent equipment at reasonable prices.
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coralreefer_1 wrote:

All these stories about getting spit on/assaulted/cussed out..etc, are something that I find hard to believe.

It may have changed, but I heard these stories frequently in Pohang five years ago (around the time of the OP). Never happened to me, but I think whites were always less affected.

These days we encounter jealousy issues more than anything. I think the nationals are more inclined to be jealous of a seemingly-successful foreigner than a Korean. True anywhere, probably.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyDaegu wrote:
coralreefer_1 wrote:

All these stories about getting spit on/assaulted/cussed out..etc, are something that I find hard to believe.

It may have changed, but I heard these stories frequently in Pohang five years ago (around the time of the OP). Never happened to me, but I think whites were always less affected.

These days we encounter jealousy issues more than anything. I think the nationals are more inclined to be jealous of a seemingly-successful foreigner than a Korean. True anywhere, probably.

Well, it got back to me quite a few years ago in my former small town that many girls were afraid to be seen with me too much because of local and peer pressure. A few did want to meet discretely. It was both pleasure and hell. Pleasure in the sense a few wanted to come voer late at night discretely and see what whitey is like. But, mostly it was a game of avoidance.

Things have changed in the sense the population has largely backed off. But Korean females are not as curious about you simply being white anymore. I did have a really easy time of it first year, but think the ranks closed very quickly so that by year 2 it was nothing zadda zip.

Nowadays, completely different scenario, though I live in a much bigger city. Many younger women who speak English will still talk to me and chat quite quickly and always seem to want to meet.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Boxer wrote:
Good for Mr. Bonojit.
By the way, I think it's a little weird that it's ok to literally drag someone to the police station to press charges. From what I read the ajoshi was forcibly ushered to the police station.

You would have preferred to let him walk away?

Even the west has such a thing as a citizens arrest.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think another part of it is it seems Korean guys are doing a lot better "internationally" now than before. Seen a lot more Korean guy-international girl couples than before, and some lookers too.
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzmaster wrote:
Quote:
All these stories about getting spit on/assaulted/cussed out..etc, are something that I find hard to believe

Yet you expect us to believe your tail of dating a model who is 10 years your junior.
I think you don't believe other poster's stories because you are telling lies yourself. If you want to PM me a link to your facebook profile containing pictures of you and your model girlfriend, then I will withdraw my comment.
Until then I think someone better call 119, because coralreefer's pants are on fire.

I did not meet even one Westerner or Asian expat who did not experience at least a few incidents of barbaric treatment at the hands of Koreans. Therefore, that poster in Taegu City must have been lying about not experiencing any types of shitty treatment.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph Winfield wrote:
jazzmaster wrote:
Quote:

I did not meet even one Westerner or Asian expat who did not experience at least a few incidents of barbaric treatment at the hands of Koreans. Therefore, that poster in Taegu City must have been lying about not experiencing any types of shitty treatment.

Really? Barbaric? Or more or less par for the course for minorities around the world, including back home? Some ignorant comments and opinions, maybe a drunk threatening you or not getting a fair shake from the cops?

Isn't that what most of the complaints here amount to? And isn't that what minorities complain about back home? Granted, things can lack the polish and sophistication that bigots back home use to disguise things, but the complaints here do not represent some new level of minority harassment.

It's not all roses, but it isn't doom and gloom either.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Korean guys are doing a lot better "internationally" now than before.

by buying brides from the poorest regions of SE asia?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: