Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jongnoguru
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halfmanhalfbiscuit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a shame-his posts were always informative and good humoured.

Guess he knew the roads having lived here a long time, but, unfortunate.
Bramble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to say. It's such a shock.
Old fat expat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite poster

Sad news.

He will be missed
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfmanhalfbiscuit wrote:
That is a shame-his posts were always informative and good humoured.

Guess he knew the roads having lived here a long time, but, unfortunate.

Doesn`t matter how well you know the roads. One eejit driver and you're done on a bike. This has me seriously rethinking riding all the time. Had a few close numbers myself.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add my name to what'll be a long list of people expressed sadness upon learning of this incident; he was one of my favourite posters here as well.
peppermint

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stunned. He and and I were very good friends, ever since he helped me with some housing issues years ago. I always asked him to be careful on the bike. Wherever you are these days, H. know that you're missed.
Old Gil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a great great poster and seemed like a really cool guy.
diver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP
beercanman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. He was a good one. Here's something he wrote in September that I liked.

JongnoGuru wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
The Connections Snob- Works as a Secretary at some Pols office/restaurant frequented by celebs and therefore brags that she knows "Famous/Powerful Person X" Constantly talking about banquets and with her at the center, even though her boss just invited her and the rest of the staff to be nice/handle business.

I had thought of this one as well, but once again, there are variations and subsets and partially overlapping profiles of snobbery. I was thinking specifically of the Korean Connexions Snob. This particular snobbery takes the form of either boasts or threats. He or she will claim that they taught English to, or are related by marriage to, a local nabob of enormous clout -- this will be a chaebol tycoon, bank exec, politician or similarly greasy personage, military bigwig, mafia kingpin, high-ranking immigration or police officer -- who'll set them up for life in a cushy job & home, who'll open doors to success & riches & privileges beyond the reckoning of us mere mortal expats; or someone who's always got their back in a scrap, who'll put their enemies in hospital, and who'll pull strings to get internet messageboard bullies deported.

The Connexions Snob gets extra mileage from their antics here because of the (arguably accurate) perception of Korea being a country where the crooked do excel, authorities can be bought, systems gamed and rules subverted--if you know the Right PeopleTM. And this snob insists that they do.

Quote:
The Music Snob- Always mentioning some obscure band/musician and why they are good and why you suck because you've never head them before.

Yes. And it doesn't stop with the obscure band trivia. Once the riffraff actually take your advice and latch onto that music, well then by gawd that band is obviously too commercial/pedestrian/overexposed/past their prime. Time to dump them, move onto the next kewl thing and start beating the commonfolk over the head with that.

Last edited by beercanman on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beercanman wrote:
Wow. He was a good one. Here's something here wrote in September that I liked.

JongnoGuru wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
The Connections Snob- Works as a Secretary at some Pols office/restaurant frequented by celebs and therefore brags that she knows "Famous/Powerful Person X" Constantly talking about banquets and with her at the center, even though her boss just invited her and the rest of the staff to be nice/handle business.

I had thought of this one as well, but once again, there are variations and subsets and partially overlapping profiles of snobbery. I was thinking specifically of the Korean Connexions Snob. This particular snobbery takes the form of either boasts or threats. He or she will claim that they taught English to, or are related by marriage to, a local nabob of enormous clout -- this will be a chaebol tycoon, bank exec, politician or similarly greasy personage, military bigwig, mafia kingpin, high-ranking immigration or police officer -- who'll set them up for life in a cushy job & home, who'll open doors to success & riches & privileges beyond the reckoning of us mere mortal expats; or someone who's always got their back in a scrap, who'll put their enemies in hospital, and who'll pull strings to get internet messageboard bullies deported.

The Connexions Snob gets extra mileage from their antics here because of the (arguably accurate) perception of Korea being a country where the crooked do excel, authorities can be bought, systems gamed and rules subverted--if you know the Right PeopleTM. And this snob insists that they do.

Quote:
The Music Snob- Always mentioning some obscure band/musician and why they are good and why you suck because you've never head them before.

Yes. And it doesn't stop with the obscure band trivia. Once the riffraff actually take your advice and latch onto that music, well then by gawd that band is obviously too commercial/pedestrian/overexposed/past their prime. Time to dump them, move onto the next kewl thing and start beating the commonfolk over the head with that.

He`s describing a certain SMOE boaster I know of...RIP Guru you enlightened us with your knowledge and dry humour. You will be missed.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked and the last words of his last post, 7085th at Dave's, was "We're safe!" with HIS bolding and HIS putting it at 18 point size!!! Shocked Shocked

From the"Is Korea a 3rd World Country?" thread:

JongnoGuru wrote:
Also, no First World obesity levels, please.

Wait...

1st-World Japan is currently 3.2%.... and Korea is 3.2% -- We're safe!!

We are never totally safe.

RIP JG
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never met the man, but felt I knew him a bit, from the banter here, these last few years. Never heard a bad word said of him. He was obviously a smart and funny man with a good sense of humor.
Very sorry to hear it.

For the newbs who don't know his work, wrestle through the limp Dave's search engine, or google him, and see what he had to say. He pumped out more quality jokes here, probably without ever really putting much thought into any of them, than most of us will ever do, no matter how hard we might try.

The man had some class.
Thanks for the heads-up, OP.

As far as dead people I don't know go, I'd trade sixteen Michael Jacksons for one Jongo Guru, any day.
Condolences to his friends and family.

Last edited by blurgalurgalurga on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good one who will be sadly missed by people here and on other sites, he was a huge asset to people here
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a pleasure to read what he had to say.

JongnoGuru, you are missed..

RIP
tzechuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.M.G.!!! NO WAY!!!!!

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I really, really liked Jongnoguru. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

R.I.P. J.J.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: