Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does 'gyopo' only apply to Korean-Americans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Does 'gyopo' only apply to Korean-Americans? Reply with quote

Maybe it's a dumb question but seeing as how my coworkers avoid me as if I had the Japanese flag tattooed on my forehead and a samurai sword dangling from my lips I thought I'd just ask here.

There's a South African guy of Korean descent (parents are Korean but he was born and raised in SA) working in my neighborhood. I always see him eating at Subway when I walk past and sometimes drinking on the side of the road. He's a friendly guy that always starts conversations and knows his South Park very well, just not sure if I can call him a gyopo or not.

So, would he be considered/called a gyopo? I really don't want to offend this guy, think I offended him enough the first time I met him because I had no idea the blacks were so violent in his country.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, he's a gyopo.
amo_jh

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gyopo means any Korean who live outside of Korea, or sometimes more specifically any ethnic Korean living outside of Korea. One does not need to be born in another country to be considered a gyopo. A 50 year old Korean can emigrate to the US tomorrow and he will be considered a gyopo. Gypo as most of people here on Dave's refer to, Koreans born to Korean parents outside of Korea, are more specifically called second generation gyopos.

Korean living in US- 재미교포
Korean born in US - 재미교포 2세

Korean living in Japan - 재일교포
Korean born in Japan - 재일교포 2세, 3세, 4세, so and so

For Koreans living in UK, Canada, Australia, or any other country I believe they just call them 영국교포 (UK gyopo), 캐나다교포(Canada gyopo), etc etc
Vimfuego

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Does 'gyopo' only apply to Korean-Americans? Reply with quote

metalhead wrote:
think I offended him enough the first time I met him because I had no idea the blacks were so violent in his country.

What?
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Does 'gyopo' only apply to Korean-Americans? Reply with quote

Vimfuego wrote:
metalhead wrote:
think I offended him enough the first time I met him because I had no idea the blacks were so violent in his country.

What?

HA! Nice phrase lift before the edit
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amo_jh wrote:
Korean living in US- 재미교포
Korean born in US - 재미교포 2세

Korean living in Japan - 재일교포
Korean born in Japan - 재일교포 2세, 3세, 4세, so and so

For Koreans living in UK, Canada, Australia, or any other country I believe they just call them 영국교포 (UK gyopo), 캐나다교포(Canada gyopo), etc etc

I believe they generally use the 재 and first syllable of the country's name. So a Canadian gyopo would be 재캐교포. Unless it's an obscure country like Kazakhstan, then they'll use the full name of the country.
Yaya

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ethnic Korean adoptees who want to be called gyopo, but I personally feel they belong in a separate category. Gyopos are ethnic Koreans who grew up outside of Korea BUT had Korean parents.

Nonetheless, the term "haewoe dongpo (해외동포)," or "overseas brethren," does apply to both.
air76

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you ever call the guy a gyopo? Whether he is one or not????

What kind of strange social interaction would that be? Why don't you just ask the bloke what his name is and then use that identifying device when referring to him?

You seem to be acting like this guy is some sort of space alien just because he is from South Africa and his parents were from Korea....what does the South Park reference refer to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: