Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bribing a recruiter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mithrae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Bribing a recruiter. Reply with quote

Yes I know bribing is frowned upon in Korea Rolling Eyes, but my buddy is thinking of bribing a recruiter to get a decent job. He's a bit older and not getting a lot of responses from recruiters, so he needs to try a different tactic. Has anyone heard of bribing a recruiter before? Why should that be the only industry in Korea that's 'bribe free'? Teachers take bribes here all the time. So why not the agency that provides those teachers?

Any thoughts?
Ukon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recruiter is like a travel agent...he can't force the client to accept your pal.

If he's having that much of a problem, go public schools.
Kaypea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recruiter has to provide good teachers, ones that aren't going to get themselves fired before 6 months. They lose money if they don't. I think your friend would have to bribe a lot ($1000?) to tempt the recruiter. Couldn't he put his/her energy into convincing the recruiter that he/she is a good candidate? Provide references, awesome photos, great essays... tell the recruiter stuff like "I heard you're the best recruiter, all the FT's say so..."
Mithrae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy is an excellent teacher with good references. He's also very presentable. This isn't someone who is going to get fired in 6 months.
Ramen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mithrae wrote:
My buddy is an excellent teacher with good references. He's also very presentable. This isn't someone who is going to get fired in 6 months.

Tell your friend to contact recruiting company named Korvia. Tell your friend to tell Korvia that Ramen recommended them. I hope they'll give me my cut. Wink
Mithrae

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ukon wrote:
A recruiter is like a travel agent...he can't force the client to accept your pal.

If he's having that much of a problem, go public schools.

Yes, but surely a bribed recruiter can restrict the number and quality of applications that are sent to a particular school.
big_fella1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bribing a recruiter. Reply with quote

Mithrae wrote:
Yes I know bribing is frowned upon in Korea Rolling Eyes, but my buddy is thinking of bribing a recruiter to get a decent job. He's a bit older and not getting a lot of responses from recruiters, so he needs to try a different tactic. Has anyone heard of bribing a recruiter before? Why should that be the only industry in Korea that's 'bribe free'? Teachers take bribes here all the time. So why not the agency that provides those teachers?

Any thoughts?

I think your friend would be better to pound the pavements and walk into Hagwons looking for work. His 'bribe' would be that the school wouldn't have to pay a recruiter. I'm sorry but if you bribe a recruiter and they will pocket the money and then send you somewhere pretty terrible anyway.
hockeyguy109

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, qualified teachers needing to bribe recruiters to get work. Is the job market that bad now?

I feel like the recruiter should have bribed me to come here in the first place. Shocked
rt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many, if not most Korean teachers, especially professors, pay for their jobs - why should you be any different?
waseige1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Bribe?? Reply with quote

Bribe has such a bad sound to it and I don't think it is a bribe.

Offer to pay the recruiter if you take a position that you like. Pay them for their services. There are many such services in the western world.

I would get rid of the idea that it is a bribe. It is money for a service.
Mithrae

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I went to a 'head hunter' (job finding) service in Canada once, and they wanted $1,500 to find me a good job. So I guess you could be right, it's not necessarily a 'bribe' per se. He'd be paying for better service.

But how would he word it to a recruiter??
loyfriend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a job offer, I have about 8 recruiters, and 5 job offers. You can have the jobs or the recruiters emails.

Just Pm me.
Steve Schertzer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bribing a recruiter. Reply with quote

Mithrae wrote:
Yes I know bribing is frowned upon in Korea Rolling Eyes, but my buddy is thinking of bribing a recruiter to get a decent job. Any thoughts?

Taking "When in Rome do as the Romans do" literally, huh?
deessell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bribe?? Reply with quote

waseige1 wrote:
Bribe has such a bad sound to it and I don't think it is a bribe.

Offer to pay the recruiter if you take a position that you like. Pay them for their services. There are many such services in the western world.

I would get rid of the idea that it is a bribe. It is money for a service.

HeHe! Yes, this is how I survive in S.E.A! I think of it as service, otherwise I go bonkers.
Nexus11

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can guarantee that the recruiter isn't holding out on your friend. They get paid only when positions are filled, so it is in their best interest to fill positions. They are often competing with other recruiters to fill the same job. If your recruiter takes a bribe and only forwards your friend's resume to the top schools instead the resumes of other qualified candidates, he will simply not get a commission because the school will just hire a qualified candidate from a different recruiter.

Your recruiter will miss out on the commission from the school, plus he will not get his "bribe money" because he didn't get your friend a job.

It won't work.

Unfortunately, many Koreans think that youth and beauty somehow make one a better teacher. Without ridiculously high credentials, older applicants need to either go the public school route or simply be extremely patient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: